New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Hi! Honda Gurus,

I need your help/opinion to find out what cause the following problems:
    1.a. the idling is somewhat high-around 900 RPM- but at the same time, kind of rough to the extent that vibrations can be felt inside the passenger cabin, most particularly on the dash and steering wheel;
    b. when the gas pedal is pressed then released, RPM goes down to about 500, or less then goes back to 900. It's like "choking?" i don't know if that's the right term;
    2. a. the A/T stays quite longer (than normal) in 3rd gear before shifting to 4th gear.
    b. when in 4th gear, just a slight press on the gas pedal, will cause shifting to 3rd gear.

I hope you can help me on these problems. TIA!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    With regards to no. 1, have your car serviced (tune up, replaced spark plugs, and clean your throttle, check also your high tension wires). As for no. 2, I'm not so sure what to recommend, let's just wait for other inputs.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by conzky View Post
    Hi! Honda Gurus,

I need your help/opinion to find out what cause the following problems:
    1.a. the idling is somewhat high-around 900 RPM- but at the same time, kind of rough to the extent that vibrations can be felt inside the passenger cabin, most particularly on the dash and steering wheel;
    b. when the gas pedal is pressed then released, RPM goes down to about 500, or less then goes back to 900. It's like "choking?" i don't know if that's the right term;
    2. a. the A/T stays quite longer (than normal) in 3rd gear before shifting to 4th gear.
    b. when in 4th gear, just a slight press on the gas pedal, will cause shifting to 3rd gear.

I hope you can help me on these problems. TIA!
    I forgot to mention that it only shifts to 4th gear when gas pedal is slightly released.

Inputs will be very much appreciated.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Also check the throttle position sensor (TPS).

With the ignition OFF, remove the 3-pin connector and measure the resistance between the TPS pins.

With throttle fully CLOSED (accelerator pedal at idle position):
    Pins 1 & 2 - 500-900 Ω
    Pins 2 & 3 - 4.5 kΩ

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    you may want to change the fluids in the transmission. old, oxidised fluid can cause weird shifting problems.

blast the air cleaner with compressed air to clean it.

check and adjust valves, then have the throttle body cleaned out. you'd be surprised how much gunk there is inside of it, blocking the sensors inside.

or to simplify things, just take it to the casa and have them do the 50,000 km checkup. have it done without the underchassis repairs, just the engine stuff.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Hi! i also experience almost same issue but my auto is accord. how much is the 50,000km check on casa?

re: 98 CRV (A/T) Problems