New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    mga sir.. ever since i started driving, manual na po talaga ang hawak ko..
    but then may nakuha akong second hand na civic 02 which is automatic..
    my concern is.. ang alam ko lang kasi na meaning is yung "P", "R", "N", at yung "D" po.. so i was wondering kung anu po ba yung use nung iba like "D3" at may isa pa po nakalimutan ko na.. hehe

then yung button na says "OFFROAD" parang switch or something? para san po ba ito???

anu po ba ang mga use ng mga ito?? sana po may magbigay linaw...

by the way additional question po... ok lang po ba na habang tumatakbo ng mabilis while nasa "D".. hindi po ba nakakasira na nililipat ko sha sa "N"?? or sa "D3" ?? kasi po nasany po talaga ako sa manual.. so hindi ko po napipigilan minsan.. hehe baka po nakakasama???

thank you po in advance sa mga magrerespond.. salamat.. ;p

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I can't find any info about an "OFFROAD" switch in a '02 Civic.

Don't shift from D to N while moving because you will lose engine braking and speed control and would put a strain on your primary brakes if you do this. Also, this will use up more gas as the engine is kept at idle while you're moving in N. By keeping it in D or D3, your momentum will keep the engine running while the ECM shuts off the fuel injectors (see video below) so you're not using any gas while slowing down. So again, when slowing down, keep it in D, or shift to D3 if you want to have more engine braking.

Here are the descriptions and uses of each shift position on the Honda 5-A/T. I've left out P-R-N since their use are self explanatory. These are all in your user's manual:

D - Use this position for your normal driving. The transmission automatically selects a suitable gear for your speed and acceleration. You may notice the transmission shifting up at higher speeds when the engine is cold. This helps the engine warm up faster.

D3 - This position is similar to D, except only the first three gears are selected. Use D3 to provide engine braking when going down a steep hill. D3 can also keep the transmission from cycling between third and fourth gears in stop-and-go driving.

For faster acceleration when in D3 or D, you can get the transmission to
    automatically downshift by pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor. The transmission will shift down one or two gears, depending on your speed.

2 - To shift to Second, press the release button on the front of the shift lever. This position locks the transmission in second gear. It does not downshift to first gear when you come to a stop. Second gives you more power when climbing, and increased engine braking when going down steep hills. Use second gear when starting out on a slippery surface or in deep snow. It will help reduce wheelspin.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xfxSkDHJKo"]YouTube - 8th Gen Civic FD Fuel Injection Shut-off[/ame]

question regarding automatic transmission...