New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sirs, Just sold my altis last monday and got a 2006 CIVIC 2.0 yesterday. I am just curious, what is the stock speaker set up of this? the one installed is a Boston Acoustic SL65 on the rear.
    seems the old owner changed it? and seems there is no BASS on the sounds..is there a LOUD switch here somewhere or do I need to change the speakers?

SEEKING your inputs - I am a newbie on the is civic..
    Thank you in advance

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    the stock speakers are definitely not BAs. you have to fiddle with the head unit to adjust the bass to max to give you the ump you are looking for. check if there's an 8 inch speaker behind the rear seats. if there's none, then you don't have the amplifier, hence no subwoofer. Mine does.

if the bass is not enough for you, you can either add an amplifier and a sub or change the HU and add amp and sub. If you're opting for the later, you might want to change your other stock speakers (if they are still stock) since you will want to boost all your speakers not only the sub. this, though depends how much wattage your amp will be, the higher it is, the stock speakers might not be able to handle the power which will cause distorted sound.

visit crutchfield.com to research on which HU/Amp/Sub which will appeal to you most. good luck on your new car and enjoy the drive.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks LNopal for the inputs.

I went to Eclipse almost infront of Shell, along del monte ave. riverside QC, they told me the HU cannot handle the installed speakers(Boston Acoustics SL65 at the rear and SL60 on the doors). They therefore recommend to change the HU to a Pioneer 2DIN HU.

Will it really be the case or is there an option to add just the AMP only to have a little "UMP" on my music? Or downgrade the speakers on the doors?

Thanks Sirs!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    i am not sure why the HU cannot handle the speakers when the speakers are the one taking beatings from the HU, and not the other way around. i think what they want to tell you is that the speakers' potential are not being tapped to its fullest because of the HU's output. downgrading your speakers will do you no good.

adding an amplifier might solve your bass power needs, but you must have at least 2 or more channels so the speakers will be able to take advantage of the amp's additional power. each channel will be connected to your rear speakers so they will be producing the ump you need. you can try this, but i'm not sure if it will work. i have not done this setup before.

before you change the HU to another brand, fiddle with your HU's settings first. Try to adjust the bass level to max and listen if that is sufficient enough for you. if not, then the two options i gave you will do the trick. however, the first 1 is the quick and dirty way of doing it. it's not really recommendable since the bass' power will be quite difficult to adjust. that was my initial setup on my previous civic. again, not recommendable, but a quick and dirty way of adding ump to the bass. i bought a new HU to rectify the powerful bass output.

now, if you have the money - get a 5 channel amplifier so all your speakers will benefit from it, including your subwoofer. then of course, you will have to get a new head unit to get maximum satisfaction.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Again sir!

Will take everything into consideration. I actually tried to canvass a new head unit for my FD, and will soon decide which road to take to get the sound that I really want.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ALTISH View Post
    Thanks Again sir!

Will take everything into consideration. I actually tried to canvass a new head unit for my FD, and will soon decide which road to take to get the sound that I really want.
    One suggestion when getting a new head unit... Get something that has ipod/iphone/ipad interface. Days of CDs are all gone. Goodluck!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the reminder Lnopal!

Got a temporary solution for the bass / Loudness concern on my HU, though dont know if there is a long term effect on the car's electrical.

1. pressing 4&6 buttons together of the HU then turn it on "DIAG" appears on screen.
    2. press 4 again to make DSP "FLAT" setting or hold 4 until "DSP OFF" appears
    3. Turn it off and on again - then ... music turns like it has amps.. similar to LOUD setting of aftermarket HU.

I read it from TeamFD forum

but got a new problem, while enjoying the sound, seems my changer had some mechanical problems and reflected a "mech error" message, seems the CDs are stuck.- thats what i am worried right now.

Newbie to CIVIC FD 2.0