New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hi there fellow chikoteers! (tama ba?)

When I go back to Philippines in a few months I plan to buy a 1999 - 2000 Civic LXi or VTi because I have seen and heard some good reviews on it. Admittedly, I am quite naive with respect to cars in general and not finding any good website or the lack of skill in finding one, is not helping either. I have seen some websites but these are for civics from abroad, so I don't know if the information there applies exactly to what we have in Philippines.

I need your assistance and patience guys in finding out the specifications and features of this car.

Specific questions are:

Which among the two has ABS? two-wheel or four-wheel ABS?
    Child-lock?
    Airbags? Driver and Passenger?
    Power side-mirror?
    Keyless entry (optional maybe, or aftermarket na lang)?
    VTEC? VTEC2? 2-stage? 3-stage vtec? how do i know if VTEC is still functioning?
    EFI (tama ba?)
    front disc brakes?
    Is there a localized (Philippines-based para akma sa environment natin) review of these cars that you guys can recommend?
    How does it compare to a same year corolla gli with respect to the features and amenities?
    How is it comparatively more expensive to maintain than that of corollas (I have seen from tsikot forums that parts are quite expensive)?

Thank you in advance to any help you could extend to me, in this regard.

You all have a good day!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, 2000 VTi in the Philippines is equivalent to USDM's EX trim.

4-wheel ABS
    SOHC VTEC EFI
    Power Mirrors, doorlocks, windows
    front disc and rear drum
    airbags front passenger and driver

pero tulog pa mga tao sa Pinas kaya ala pang reply. but that should give you an idea on the specs.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found a poll ay back then, maybe it could help you on your decision

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...&highlight=VTi

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    AFAIK, 2000 VTi in the Philippines is equivalent to USDM's EX trim.

4-wheel ABS
    SOHC VTEC EFI
    Power Mirrors, doorlocks, windows
    front disc and rear drum
    airbags front passenger and driver

pero tulog pa mga tao sa Pinas kaya ala pang reply. but that should give you an idea on the specs.

Thanks, Karding. I will check the US Civic DX model for the same year.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Hi there fellow tsikoteers! (tama ba?)

Which among the two has ABS? two-wheel or four-wheel ABS?

I'm afraid none of the 99-00 Civics in the Philippines has ABS.

Child-lock?

Standard equipment on both models

Airbags? Driver and Passenger?

No airbags on any model at all.

Power side-mirror?

VTi only

Keyless entry (optional maybe, or aftermarket na lang)?

It's optional equipment you can buy at any accessories shop.

VTEC? VTEC2? 2-stage? 3-stage vtec? how do i know if VTEC is still functioning?

In the VTi, it only states VTEC. I'm not sure if it's VTEC 1 or VTEC 2 though. VTEC helps make the engine more economical with fuel when driving slowly. The engine consumes minimal fuel up until 3000 rpm. The performance side of the VTEC can be experienced above that rev range. Generally, it's somewhat like a 2-in-1 engine - performance when needed but efficient when driven slowly.

EFI (tama ba?)

It's fuel injected, but Honda calls their system PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel Injection.

front disc brakes?

All Civics have front discs

Is there a localized (Philippines-based para akma sa environment natin) review of these cars that you guys can recommend?

Local car magazines are not yet that famous during the time of this car, although Top Gear features a used car every month (I'm not sure which issue they reviewed this car, but they did).

How does it compare to a same year corolla gli with respect to the features and amenities?

Unfortunately, the Civic is no match to the Corolla in this aspect. The latter had a driver's airbag, split-folding rear seats and ABS in later models. The Civic, however, somehow makes up through a more advanced engine, more attractive design and better interior space.

How is it comparatively more expensive to maintain than that of corollas (I have seen from tsikot forums that parts are quite expensive)?

A Corolla is generally cheaper and easier to maintain than a Civic. Aside from parts being less expensive and available in almost every auto supply shop in the country, the Corolla's suspension is much sturdier; really made for our bad roads. The Civic has a softer ride and theoretically better handling because of double wishbones front/independent rear suspension (compared to ordinary strut front/beam axle rear for the Corolla), but it's not as durable. You also cannot adjust the camber of the front wheels (as in adjusting the suspension such that the tires are evenly planted on the road). This also means premature tire wear on the inside from the Civic. You can buy aftermarket camber kits but these cost around 10,000 pesos or so. As for Civic parts, there are aftermarket replacement ones available, but based on my experience, they get destroyed much more easily than the original ones, and tend to end up spending more.

Thank you in advance to any help you could extend to me, in this regard.

You're welcome. I hope I've helped you enough there

You all have a good day!

Yeah, you too.
    Last edited by squala; November 10th, 2005 at 03:41 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaizer
    Thanks, Karding. I will check the US Civic DX model for the same year.
    kapatid, EX ang trim na tignan mo.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    My bad, thank you for correcting me there, Karding.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Sir squala, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to answer my questions. You have been very helpful!

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Sir Squala, considering all factors of owning and maintaining a used car of either year '99 or '00, would you recommend against civic as compared to corolla?

To the owners of Civics, how much expensive are functionally equivalent parts of your cars compared to say corolla? Would you agree of a ballpark figure of 10-20% more expensive than corolla parts? I guess I just wanted to gauge if I can maintain it reasonably well within my reach.

:sigh: It would be fun to own a new car but for me it is simply beyond me to be tied with bonds from a bank or something.

Guys, feel free to drop in with your comments and suggestions.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, dont expect any performance from a SOHC VTEC. Its tuned for fuel efficiency. On the other hand, DOHC VTEC is performance oriented.

Otherwise, it should be a reliable car.

You also cannot adjust the camber of the front wheels (as in adjusting the suspension such that the tires are evenly planted on the road). This also means premature tire wear on the inside from the Civic. You can buy aftermarket camber kits but these cost around 10,000 pesos or so.
    I think adjusting the camber is out of the question. Im guessing its going to be a daily driver. Now, unless you lower the car, then it might need the camber kit. If you are going to leave it stock, no camber kit needed. thus, no premature tire wear.
    Last edited by Karding; November 11th, 2005 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need help in looking for '99\'00 Civic LXi\VTi specifications