New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *Mguy. Yes I am European

You should be able to guess if I give you a hint.

Republic mainly Catholic (same as The PH )

So if I get it serviced in a local 'proper' service company, do I still keep my waranty intact.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *tsupermaria

Yes, I will test the Montero for sure. Unlike the fortuner, it is actually sold here under the guise of 'Pajero Sport'.

But I will not buy a car just because it is the only availble near where I live. It only cost a few thou to bring a car from Cebu.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *voltscastillo

The Montero does indeed sound good. My neighbour here has a black one and it looks nice enough.

Have spent a total of 12 months in Southern Leyte in the last few years. The roads here are not as bad as they used to be.

I don't think the car I will buy will need to go months without maintenance, if it is required, and it certainly will not get abused

I am/will be living on the coast (beach Lot); but have never seen seaspray except in Maasin during a typhoon. But there is the issue of salt for sure. Is there any known problems with rust in my shortlist of 3 motors?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *Ronemshoff

A 2007 V6?
    I didn't know they made the 3rd generation (or any generation) with a V6 under the bonnet.

I am sorry I have to decline. Besides it not being 4x4 and I hate gold (and red), I really want to buy a new car. Thank you.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    rust is not the problem, but faded paint is. brought 3 cars to catbalogan - coastal town 3 kms from the beach btw - and 2 already have oxidised paint. could be the salt in the water when it rains or the salt in the air on humid days and then sunlight.

the montero also has a selectable 4wd system, unlike the crv. and if the 4wd system of the V is anything like the 1st generation's (which i've owned), i guess you could say its not as heavy duty as the mitsubishi's. 4wd hi and low-locked may be kinda useful if you were to bring your kids to a camp site in the forests around leyte... better have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, i say.

goodluck on your purchase. i was born here, yet, every summer i take long drives to different parts of the country and there's lots of undiscovered places (mostly beaches) mostly unspoiled by rowdy tourists. so, do enjoy your stay - despite what the US says, this is still a beautiful part of southeast asia :-)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatio View Post
    So if I get it serviced in a local 'proper' service company, do I still keep my waranty intact.
    They should have an accredited repair shop in major cities where they have no dealership. But if need be, you could also take a RORO to Cebu. And with the CRV, you could do it in lesser trips since the service intervals is 10000 kms or 6 months whichever comes first.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I had 3 Pajeros in the early 90's and the last 2 had 'Super Select'. I think the Montero's system is similar. You can use 2WD to save on fuel and can change to 4WD on the move under a certain speed (40mph I think). There was also locked up centre diff mode as well as low box. I basically left in 4WD almost all the time because it was better road holding.

Yep it is beautiful. Have not travelled around too much, as I was too busy most of the time. Been to Bohol, Cebu, Samar and NCR as well as Leyte of course. I hate big cities.

So what do The US people say about The Philippines?

I do notice that some of the US Expats do not adjust very well to the Filipino way. I have seen some of them roaring their heads off in public offices because things are not the way of The USA. Sure in The PH things do go slow and the likes of obtaining a building permit can require a mountain of paperwork (xeroxed 5 times). I have done this process myself without the help of anyone and did not have to raise my voice once.

My Motto is: 'When in Rome, Do as the Romans do'

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *MyGuy

There is a big service garage in Maasin City. It seems a state of the art place and there is always Pajeros, Landcruisers etc being serviced there.

Yep, I did consider the longer service intervals. Only 10,000km.

Over here the service interval is a whooping 20,000 KM (12,500 miles) or 12 months for both petrol and diesel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Moving To The Philippines - Want CR-V