New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    there is an interesting comment I heard:
    An LXI civic has higher start-up torque and acceleration than VTi Civic!

ther reason: An LXi is like a vtec engine in which the Vtec is always turn on.
    On a Vtec engine, on lower RPM, the vtec is off, contolling the intake valve opening for fuel economics, when you hit 4500rpm, the vtec turns on, opening all intake valves fully, gaining full power. In an Lxi, its already open all the time. The only disadvantage, it consume more fuel on idling and at lower RPM, but you have all intake valves full power all the time. So..when two civics LXI and VTEC both 1.5l engine, do a quartermile, the LXI will beat the Vtec...

You think so?? Comments? ano po sa tingin nyo?

HoNda OCplus Salev racing

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    diba 1.5 lang yung lxi while the vti eh 1.6

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    unknown.

a properly kept VTi can outrun most 1.6 cars of its generation. maybe a SiR can beat it sa drag, but on a normal habulan, it's really up to the driver.

LXi '01-'03 model may have a bit more torque due to the revised engine, but it's also a bit heavier than the EK i think.

a VTEC engine has a different design pagdating sa cams. without those cams and a better cylinder head, it wont be VTEC, it's just a plain honda engine with no VTEC. kinda like the one lancer cars have only marginally better in design. so you cant really say "VTEC is on all the time", because valve timing and lift control is just half of the picture... the rest of the VTEC engine's power comes from the better designed intake manifold and cylinder head plus aluminum pistons.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marvel67 View Post
    there is an interesting comment I heard:
    An LXI civic has higher start-up torque and acceleration than VTi Civic!

ther reason: An LXi is like a vtec engine in which the Vtec is always turn on.
    On a Vtec engine, on lower RPM, the vtec is off, contolling the intake valve opening for fuel economics, when you hit 4500rpm, the vtec turns on, opening all intake valves fully, gaining full power. In an Lxi, its already open all the time. The only disadvantage, it consume more fuel on idling and at lower RPM, but you have all intake valves full power all the time. So..when two civics LXI and VTEC both 1.5l engine, do a quartermile, the LXI will beat the Vtec...

You think so?? Comments? ano po sa tingin nyo?

There are more to engine performance than just the number of valves and engine displacement.

Anyway, the 1.5l engine of the LXi is designed & tuned for economy. The 1.6L of the VTi has been refined to produce more power (when the VTEC is active) but still with economy at lower RPMs.

The LXi 1.5L has around 90hp while the VTi 1.6L has 125hp.

Go figure which would be at the end of the 1/4 mile before the other.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    natesting na namin yung myth. its my LXi VS. SiR all stock engine.

its true the lxi would beat the SiR at first gear after that... well, kaya nga SiR DOHC siya eh.

the margin is about half a car.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    fyi, i have a honda lxi 99 right now... tipid as expected but it doesnt mean maniha. in NLEX with my stock engine, i can go as fast as 160-180kph.... i think there can be more if i want too. Lxi is economical, but a strong engine if you want and if u can. Just make it sure that your engine is in good condition. If i were to chose between lxi and vti... LXi ako. No offense po. sa Lxi you have the option. matipid kung nagtitipid ka and if you want power then Lxi can give u...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hello Guys,

You got slightly out of line. How can we compare an lxi which is a sohc VS a twincam SIR? that is a 42hp difference.. 110hp vs 152hp..Im talking about a 2003civic LXI against a 2003Civic VTi...not the VTi-s...In Canada and america, both have 1.5 liter engine, both have the the same valve size, and both have the same intake and exhaust manifold. The only difference is the head, the LXI have the same common camkshaft, while the VTi has a v-tec variable cam shaft, all the rest is the same.

The main differnce is that the Vti is more economical in idling and lower RPM, on an all out 4500 to 6500RPM...the have the same power.

The fact is if its is the same 2003 engine, same displacement of 1.6 or 1.5 lieter, an LXi will beat a Vtec in a quarter mile. That is because the Vtec engine will have to raise up to 4500RPM to boost full power. While the the LXi have full open valves form the start

Happy Motoring guys, God Bless

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JunBargas14 View Post
    fyi, i have a honda lxi 99 right now... tipid as expected but it doesnt mean maniha. in NLEX with my stock engine, i can go as fast as 160-180kph.... i think there can be more if i want too. Lxi is economical, but a strong engine if you want and if u can. Just make it sure that your engine is in good condition. If i were to chose between lxi and vti... LXi ako. No offense po. sa Lxi you have the option. matipid kung nagtitipid ka and if you want power then Lxi can give u...
    Top speed of your car doesn't mean much. Even cars with 1.3L or 1.4L engines have been known to reach speeds of 160kph.

What would be more of a measure is how long it takes your car to reach a set speed... example: 180 kph.

Don't be too sensitive when people say your LXi's engine is an economy engine because it is the truth. We all know its not that weak but it's not that powerful either. It just benefits well from the LXi's relatively light chassis.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hello Jun and Ghost,

i have both an LXi and a Vti both 2002 civic. My observation is:

The Vti is more economical even though it is a 1.6, the vtec advantage is quite significant in term of fuel consumption. I would chose a Vtec for my everyday use. The LXi is another thing. Having a smaller engine, full power as expected is lower than the 1.6L vti, though i can sense, in terms of acceleration from standing stop, the Lxi has power burst (like the nissan sr20), compare to the smooth fine acceleration of a Vti. I can only burn my tires on a 1st gear with a Vti, but the lxi still can burn rubber on the 2nd, the reason for these is the faster engine rev response of an Lxi...but then on a the long straights, the Vti will definitely zoom past the Lxi...

My choice is both...LXi for fun tire burning and all that. Vti for long drives, and day to day driving. Both are great flatforms, but not as good as the 97 - 2000 civics that has a double A front suspension.

Have fun guys....

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Top speed of your car doesn't mean much. Even cars with 1.3L or 1.4L engines have been known to reach speeds of 160kph.

What would be more of a measure is how long it takes your car to reach a set speed... example: 180 kph.

Don't be too sensitive when people say your LXi's engine is an economy engine because it is the truth. We all know its not that weak but it's not that powerful either. It just benefits well from the LXi's relatively light chassis.
    +1 ako dito... kahit naman kia picanto kayang mag 130 - 145kph yun nga lang it will take long... long enough na nakapag kape ka na habang naka floor sa gas.

anyway, i previously owned a lxi 2002, no doubt malakas din engine nya even 1.5 lang. the thing here is... we are just justifying that honda makes really good engines. tapat mo lxi mo say for example toyota corrolla xl, stock to stock... kelangan pa bang sabihin kung sino mas malakas?

IMHO, lxi: excellent engine design + lighter chassis = matindi, pero pag nagkapigaan na syempre mas talo sa vti
    vti: engineered for economy and power + slightly bigger displacement = kung pigaan at pigaan lang din ng lakas, eh di hamak vti na. That's why it's called VTEC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
lxi VS vti civic dimension