New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    palit ka muna radiator cap. 150 lang yan. baka sira na yung radiator cap and matigas na yung goma.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    amoy coolant po ba kapag umaandar ang car? try nyo po amoyin kapag mainit na makina. pop up the hood then smell it. yan kasi indication that coolant is leaking. use prestone para malakas ang amoy nya. mukhang malakas ang leak ah. yung sa akin before leak ang lower plastic bottom ng rad mabilis rin bumaba ang coolant sa reservoir. every 2 days ako top up. nangangamoy rin ang coolant sa engine bay.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D15B View Post
    amoy coolant po ba kapag umaandar ang car? try nyo po amoyin kapag mainit na makina. pop up the hood then smell it. yan kasi indication that coolant is leaking. use prestone para malakas ang amoy nya. mukhang malakas ang leak ah. yung sa akin before leak ang lower plastic bottom ng rad mabilis rin bumaba ang coolant sa reservoir. every 2 days ako top up. nangangamoy rin ang coolant sa engine bay.
    Sige sir I will look out for the smell of coolant. I use Petron Coolant, bought it for 140 pesos I think.

Nagtataka nga ako eh.. last week I went to Tagaytay, I filled my radiator and reservoir tank. Next day after 150km ++ I popped the hood to check the reservoir level, half of the reservoir was lost. I think that was normal so I didn't pay any attention to it, then now, parang napansin ko mas mabilis na talaga maubos yung coolant sa reservoir.

How do I check if the water level in the radiator is normal? Usually I let some coolant spill to see to it that it is already full before I return the radiator cap eh.. Thanks!!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    How do I check if the water level in the radiator is normal? Usually I let some coolant spill to see to it that it is already full before I return the radiator cap eh.. Thanks!

--- you have to check in your reservoir not in your radiator. this is because when the coolant boils, it goes to your reservoir through your rad cap and suck the coolant again after it cools down. that's how coolant system cycles. that's why when you have leak, it will suck more coolant in the reservoir to fill the rad again.

--- after it is full, don't close the rad cap yet. start the engine and you will see that the coolant level goes down. add more coolant until the water rises up and boil. this is what i do to make it sure that there's no air bubbles trapped inside the cooling system. that's the time you can put back the radiator cap. drive it normally then let it cool down (better overnight). check the level of your reservoir, add if it goes down the maximum level. take note, this is only applicable if you don't have leak. kasi kung may leak, you will have an everlasting top up sa reservoir.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    How do I check if the water level in the radiator is normal? Usually I let some coolant spill to see to it that it is already full before I return the radiator cap eh.. Thanks!

--- you have to check in your reservoir not in your radiator. this is because when the coolant boils, it goes to your reservoir through your rad cap and suck the coolant again after it cools down. that's how coolant system cycles. that's why when you have leak, it will suck more coolant in the reservoir to fill the rad again.

--- after it is full, don't close the rad cap yet. start the engine and you will see that the coolant level goes down. add more coolant until the water rises up and boil. this is what i do to make it sure that there's no air bubbles trapped inside the cooling system. that's the time you can put back the radiator cap. drive it normally then let it cool down (better overnight). check the level of your reservoir, add if it goes down the maximum level. take note, this is only applicable if you don't have leak. kasi kung may leak, you will have an everlasting top up sa reservoir.
    I see sir.. thanks! There was this one time kasi that I experienced my temperature went up sa 3/4.. I checked my reservoir, walang bawas.. I let the engine cool down and opened the radiator itself, I saw that it was kinda dried up. So what I did was I filled the radiator and the reservoir. The temp gauge went back to normal.

That's why I thought that I should top up both the radiator and the reservoir.. Can you enlighten me more regarding this?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    regarding the walang bawas reservoir and dried up rad, you may have a big leak that you failed to detect. the rad can't cope up from sucking the coolant from the reservoir that was lost after it cools down. or you may have another problem in your cooling system parts.

did you replaced your rad cap? (1.1 rating). did you checked the rad fan if it works properly, the relay and also the thermoswitch? when you experienced the 3/4 temp was it during traffic or highway cruising? there are several parts of the cooling system that you have to consider checking not only the leak itself.

-- try to do this first: drain the coolant in your radiator. put a small basin under the rad to catch the coolant. check if coolant has some oily mixture or you can see a rainbow color floating in your coolant. if it has oily mixture, then you have a partially damaged cylinder head gasket. you have to change it. head gaskets usually gets damage after repetitive overheating. this is the best way to check for oil coolant mixture.

-- if it has no oily mixture, then checked the the 2nd paragraph i mentioned.
    keep us updating.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    regarding the walang bawas reservoir and dried up rad, you may have a big leak that you failed to detect. the rad can't cope up from sucking the coolant from the reservoir that was lost after it cools down. or you may have another problem in your cooling system parts.

did you replaced your rad cap? (1.1 rating). did you checked the rad fan if it works properly, the relay and also the thermoswitch? when you experienced the 3/4 temp was it during traffic or highway cruising? there are several parts of the cooling system that you have to consider checking not only the leak itself.

-- try to do this first: drain the coolant in your radiator. put a small basin under the rad to catch the coolant. check if coolant has some oily mixture or you can see a rainbow color floating in your coolant. if it has oily mixture, then you have a partially damaged cylinder head gasket. you have to change it. head gaskets usually gets damage after repetitive overheating. this is the best way to check for oil coolant mixture.

-- if it has no oily mixture, then checked the the 2nd paragraph i mentioned.
    keep us updating.
    Thank you sir D15B for elaborating your diagnosis.. really appreciate it!

Just to give you guys an update, I started the engine without the cap, and it doesn't erupt or have bubbles surging out of it. I also don't have white smoke emmiting from my exhaust --- So, I'm quite sure it's not a head gasket problem.

I experienced the 3/4 temperature rise during stop and go traffic. Dried up na yung radiator and it can't suck in coolant anymore.. that's what I think.

I also went to Speedyfix earlier, what they saw was a tiny leak in the bottom part of the radiator, although it can still be fixed by overhauling, unfortunately they don't offer overhauling services..

They also checked the AUX fan, it was working properly.

Do you guys know any good and honest radiator shops that offers overhauling services in Manila? I'm near SM Santa Mesa.

Thank you Speedyfix, ang galing at ang babait ng mga mekaniko dito, binigyan ko na rin ng 50 pesos c kuya kasi nakakahiya eh hehehe!!

Also, after I arrived at the office a few minutes earlier, I popped up the hood to check if my reservoir consumed any coolant. The weird thing was hindi naman nabawasan ngayon. Weird talaga... I travelled 14 - 15kms btw..

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    it's good to hear that speedyfix already saw the problem. my piece of advice for you is to change your rad. no matter how thick you put a radiator sealant it will still leak especially the bottom part where most of the pressure is located. believe me, i've been there already. what i did was to buy a surplus rad. i got it from a member of honda club of the phils. for only 800. i didn't have any problem anymore until now.

Also, after I arrived at the office a few minutes earlier, I popped up the hood to check if my reservoir consumed any coolant. The weird thing was hindi naman nabawasan ngayon. Weird talaga... I travelled 14 - 15kms btw

--- you must check it after it cools down not after you've driven it. kasi the coolant went to your reservoir because of the pressure that's why you noticed it was still in its correct level.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    it's good to hear that speedyfix already saw the problem. my piece of advice for you is to change your rad. no matter how thick you put a radiator sealant it will still leak especially the bottom part where most of the pressure is located. believe me, i've been there already. what i did was to buy a surplus rad. i got it from a member of honda club of the phils. for only 800. i didn't have any problem anymore until now.

Also, after I arrived at the office a few minutes earlier, I popped up the hood to check if my reservoir consumed any coolant. The weird thing was hindi naman nabawasan ngayon. Weird talaga... I travelled 14 - 15kms btw

--- you must check it after it cools down not after you've driven it. kasi the coolant went to your reservoir because of the pressure that's why you noticed it was still in its correct level.
    Sir do you think overhauling it won't do? A new radiator is quite pricey.. I called Nisparts Banawe and they do have a radiator for a Civic and it's priced at 2500.. It's a Thompson brand. I tried searching the forums regarding this brand but to no avail.

Ang mahal na ng evercool..

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post
    Sir do you think overhauling it won't do? A new radiator is quite pricey.. I called Nisparts Banawe and they do have a radiator for a Civic and it's priced at 2500.. It's a Thompson brand. I tried searching the forums regarding this brand but to no avail.

Ang mahal na ng evercool..
    Puwede pa iverhaul lang dyan since maliit lang naman yung tama. Just make sure na complete flushing ka if hindi mo pa nagagawa and use distilled water and 3 liters of coolant.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Leak or Not? =(