New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Thank you very much for the advice. will try to have valve adjusted and see what happens. will let you know.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boy_tino View Post
    kung engine support naman kahit mainit o malamig ang makina mo manginig pa rin ito
    I am aware that the TS has discarded the possibility that it is the engine mounting/support that he's hearing when he mentioned the rattling sounds he hears when the engine is relatively much colder.

I just wanted to reiterate: mas malakas po nang di hamak ang pag-vibrate ng makinang malamig kesa sa makinang mainit.

My father got to take home several for-sale pre-owned cars in order to quickly find buyers, and we have owned several other vehicles. In my experience, engines vibrate more when they're cold than when they're hot, as evidenced by the vibration of the body of the vehicle -- the colder the engine, the more vibration you'll feel on the body.

That said, I am not discounting other factors that can be the reason for the "takatak" sound as the TS has mentioned.

My 2 cents.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    jgriosa,
    Is the sounds like tik-tik-tik on the valve cover?Try holding the Valve cover.You could feel the pressure there.If YES.Try checking/Repairing the VALVE-Rocker Arms.
    You could change 8PCS or the whole 16PCS.
    (not sure on total quantity of rocker arms on a GEN2)

It looks like this #2 & #3
    Around P200 per/pc

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriosa View Post
    Btw, read somewhere about somewhere about "piston slaps" on CRV engine and was said to be normal? please enlighten
    Piston slap sound is not normal i guess.
    Specially kung malakas na sobra like dinig mo inside the car.
    For sure if this sound continues the Camshaft will be damaged.
    Specially if u use lower viscosity of Engine Oil.
    Use 5W40 on your CRV bro.
    P2000+ sa CASA.
    Good for 6 months.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    returned my crv to honda makati this morning. i hve let the leadman hear the noise. he said that 70% sure that its piston slap. he suggested that let the vehicle stay with them for a while. the takatak noise is really loud that you will hear it inside vehicle even when window is closed.

the noise lasted not more than a minute after the initial start-up .

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    bro, are you using 93 octane? does the knocking occur with 95 octane? this particular model specifies 95 octane gas.

also, as Onyl Ryan said, 5W-40 would be more suitable for your engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Knocking Noise when engine is cold - CRV 2003 Pls. Help