New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    you could just trust the person. might be hard to do so, but it could be just the facts that the car was just not driven a lot.

Just sold my 97 accord with 50k mileage. I did get a couple of inquiries if the meter was tampered. I told them to look at the car. See the steering wheel and leather AT shifter and see no ware and tears. It was like new.

We have 6 cars and used only 2 to 3 on a regular basis, that is why the odo was low on the accord.

Check the seller if he might be in the same situation. He might be using the SiR on weekend dates and use another car for stop and go traffic, it's not unheard of

Good Luck

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    The engine sound can''t lie....-)

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by autophobia View Post
    Good day to ALL!

Need some advise because im planning to buy an HONDA SIR. Marami kasi sa mga ads/post are showing " Not tampered/adjusted" yun kilometer reading/odometer readings.....

Gusto ko lng itanong sa inyo/experts kung paano malalaman kung tampered? Any signs para malaman yun? Paano ba ginagawa yun? Any checklists/reminders na pwede pag basehan.

I would appreciate your comments/concerns/suggestions.

Many thanks
    Got this info from an honest trader friend... (I'm not going to tell his name, baka isipin lang I'm marketing for him... hehehe)

1. Inspect the steering wheel and shift know. Hinde dapat polished ang itsura nun.
    2. Request for an extraction of the instrument cluster - Usually kasi kapag tampered ang cluster may mga tell tale signs ng soldering. Machine ang soldering ng cluster maker, kaya kapag nag solder ng wires pag tamper mahahalata yon. Look for soldering na out of the ordinary ang itsura compared sa ibang components ng board. Anyway, kahit hinde mo alam ang hinahanap mo cause for alarm na yan sa trader. Baka umayaw na kasi alam nya tampered at baka mabisto mo pa.
    3. Bring a mechanic and ask him to evaluate the engine. Though meron mga high mileage na makinis tumakbo (alaga ng change oil at high quality oil gamit)
    4. Trust your gut senses.... hmmm very subjective. Bring along someone who knows his car. =)

Hope that helps.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    It is in this situation that you need the help of a really good mechanic that you can trust.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    if the car your buying is still first owned, meaning nasa orig. owner pa chances are hindi ito tampered.but if
    naka 2nd or 3rd or 4th owner na all bets are off especially the ones with open deed of sale since there is a bigger chance
    that your buying from a trader or buy and sell, to minimize your risk, buy the one with a casa record since kahit high mileage
    pa yan basta casa maintained chances are nasa good condition yung engine and pang ilalim.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpgosmilo View Post
    2. Request for an extraction of the instrument cluster - Usually kasi kapag tampered ang cluster may mga tell tale signs ng soldering. Machine ang soldering ng cluster maker, kaya kapag nag solder ng wires pag tamper mahahalata yon. Look for soldering na out of the ordinary ang itsura compared sa ibang components ng board. Anyway, kahit hinde mo alam ang hinahanap mo cause for alarm na yan sa trader. Baka umayaw na kasi alam nya tampered at baka mabisto mo pa.
    sir question: is this for the digital odometer? kasi if analog type flathead lang kailangan to move back the odometer.

EDIT: ifyour looking for a 5 year old and above cars, better look at the condition of the car. paint is not really a concern; engine, tranny (specially a/t) and interior will tell you most about a car.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by [archie] View Post
    sir question: is this for the digital odometer? kasi if analog type flathead lang kailangan to move back the odometer.

EDIT: ifyour looking for a 5 year old and above cars, better look at the condition of the car. paint is not really a concern; engine, tranny (specially a/t) and interior will tell you most about a car.
    For digital odometer bro. May sirang board ako ng wifi ko and I'm resurrecting my highschool old soldering gun to see how see the difference between tampered and untampered. Hehehe. Will post pics soon. Medyo busy lang with work.

I guess kung analog and flatscrew driver you would see some damage sa digits or gears ng digits. I would surmise may one-way locking mechanism yan becoz the mileage only goes forward.

BTW... just for the fun of it... (I apologize) I did try asking a 2nd hand trader thru sms if I could bring someone to check the instrument cluster of his unit as he advertised it as low mileage. I got no further reply. Hehehe. I guess we know the answer if it was tampered or not.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Fact is whether analog or digital, there are tools and skilled individuals who can reverse or forward the mileage..... for the right price.

I understand that low mileage vehicles are "assumed" to be "fresh and spoiled". But personally, If the vehicle is within 10 years old, there should be some record at the dealer of its maintenance. That should give you a clear idea of the "real" mileage. If older than that, a test drive and an inspection of a trusted mechanic would be an accurate indicator of the vehicle's real condition..... minus the consideration of the mileage.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpgosmilo View Post
    For digital odometer bro. May sirang board ako ng wifi ko and I'm resurrecting my highschool old soldering gun to see how see the difference between tampered and untampered. Hehehe. Will post pics soon. Medyo busy lang with work.

I guess kung analog and flatscrew driver you would see some damage sa digits or gears ng digits. I would surmise may one-way locking mechanism yan becoz the mileage only goes forward.

BTW... just for the fun of it... (I apologize) I did try asking a 2nd hand trader thru sms if I could bring someone to check the instrument cluster of his unit as he advertised it as low mileage. I got no further reply. Hehehe. I guess we know the answer if it was tampered or not.

ahh kala ko para sa analog... hehe anyway, look at the condition of the car lang talaga for me kasi hit or miss ang 2nd hand. sige sir, pakita pix to see how they do it.

may nakita ako sa discovery turbo na laptop lang kailangan to move back digital odometer. not sure lang how they do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How to check if the km reading is tampered or not (odometer yta yu)