New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    okay heres mine... no offense lang sa mga tao dito...

Im here to say that the GALANT is a better car than the SiR...
    >>> Of course, as what Jeremy Clarkson would say, "forget about the gas if your racing... I need POWER!"

First, I will tell you about Civics (Again no offense)
    > Most Sir owners are boastful about how great their ride is, which is literally not.
    > Its the engine thats powerful and skillfull not the driver.
    > SiR is more like a cheap type of drag car. To the people who wants to mod without expressing much patience, passion and thinking.
    > Some SiR drivers are middle aged (18-30) which is just a toy for winning girls etc etc.
    > Some SiR drivers challenge my bike for a race, However, blocked by a car in front of him, I beat him.
    > SiR struggle to reach 220 - 240kph. (stock)
    > Present generation of Civics are spectacularly ugly (thats just me) In fairness, ang design... Wala man lang Patience of bringing the best of its looks.
    > Some SiR drivers are mindless... In fairness, ang ingay ng kotse mo mahina ang takbo, nakaka-istorbo sa loob ng schools. kala mo naman ang sarap pakinggan... Hoy di Ferrari ang kotse mo noh!
    > Ang dami ko pa sana kaso sobra na... Sorry nalang... Im beginning to think if binayaran nyo LTO to get your license...

GALANT
    > The 4 cyclinder GALANT can reach up to a speed of 260kph. (VR4)
    > Passionate Galant owners have passion and patience to bring the most of their cars. Expressing hard work of waiting and calling different suppliers of mod stores.
    > The VR Galant engine can extract 400 (+) bhp, the VR-4 600 (+) bhp
    > 6g Galant are true in speed. Very stable and smooth.
    > Awarded as the car of the year of its time.
    > Seen a lot of GALANT. Bomb proof engine. I saw lots of them still running. Abused, no paint, filled with scratches, still running.
    > GALANT's body is remarkable. Saw one crashed, parang lata na ang body pero still running and the driver is proud to be alive with minor scratches.
    > GALANT has its attitude inside and outside. Unlike sa Civic, panget ang exterior the engine is the only source of charisma.
    > 8g Galant is pure motorsport.
    > 7g is a bit of motorsport yet its a sleeper.
    > 6g whether VR or VR-4 is truely rally and raced bred cars.
    > A Galant easily blends in to the lifestyle and age of every owner. Kahit ikaw ay isang simpleng tao o ikaw man ay isang racing enthusiast big timer businessman. O isang sosyal na babae o Look alike Tom Hughs type of person.
    > Ang dami pa...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    drey, I have to tell you, just to be factual, that the EK Civic was also Japanese Car of the Year. Well, so is its fugly successor, so that award is pretty much bogus. I have to agree with you though that the SiR is overrated. 160 hp makes a lot of people think they can outrun 2.2 Accords and the like. Slap a 20-valve in a Corolla and you get just about the same performance, perhaps even better if you chance upon the later blacktop version. The SiR was indeed successful on sales and the strip because of abundant plug-&-play aftermarket parts unlike in the Galant. No other manufacturer also responded well to the Honda hype that time. Many SiR owners think others are just sour graping that they don't have that much power, but try racing a torquey Corolla GLi against the powerful Civic in 5th gear starting at 60 kph, and it's certainly no contest. The Honda is not lively at low rpms, so it's not an ideal real-world car. But the tremendous singing power at around 8000 rpm or so is something to savor, along with the trademark slick shifter perfected by Honda. All-in-all, the SiR is a good car, but not as great as many perceived.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    very timely thread. i sold my car recently and i 'm contemplating on what to replace it with. these 2 are my choices. A vr v6 is within reach immediately because of its low FMV. while for the sir, i'd have to wait since kailangan ko dagdagan cash in hand ko. for you guys, would you go for a newer compact car like the sir or the 7th gen civic. or you'll go for the older model but has the mixture of luxury and performance of a mid size sedan like the galant? gas consumption is not that big of an issue since the car will be primarily be used as a weekend car. say the galant is a 97 model w/ just 60k-80k on the
    odo? and is true medyo mabigat ang maintenance ng galant???

TIA

rusem, kung icocompara sa civic ang maintenance ng galant, malayo

ang maintence ng mid ay higher kaysa sa compacts...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    rusem, kung icocompara sa civic ang maintenance ng galant, malayo

ang maintence ng mid ay higher kaysa sa compacts...

*alwayz_yummy

sorry for not elaborating more... am not comparing the maintenance cost of a midsize to a compact. i'm just stating a question... my bad... so you'll go for the compact car? sa bagay medyo elegante na rin dating ng 7th gen civic...

for me ha, if you want a week ender,

get a 7th-G (ES) 2.0 civic. sulit ka na sa power and amenities, pero matic lang, 5 speed, and you cannot manual select "4th" gear, unless floored!

another good compact is ford lynx RS! sulit na sulit din, lalo na yung CE-RS versions!alam ko last nalang ung RS na brand-new sa ford quezon ave!

others are just offering too low, na kailangan mo pa mag-swaps/maglagay ng kung anung ek-ek para gumanda at lumigaya ka!

ako, personally i want the one i posted above, legnum VR-4(galant pating->8th gen), in stock form..

other choices ko is underneath: mazda 6(atenza) 2.3L and ang kulang nalang is cruise control!

focus hatch, and the biggest is the accord v6.

for me ha, a week end run is on the highway and track...not sprinting..plus, what these mid-size cars have against the compacts: exclusivility, meaning bibihira kayo....here ha, masyadong under-rated ang mazda6, pero sa mga na-test drive ko, its the best balance i can get!kaya nga cruise control nalang ang kulang e....

kaya kung may cash ako oorder ako ng 6 kaysa sa 3 na 2.0R...

kaya etong comparo na ito is more on preference rather than age....i'm only 26, noh!
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; October 11th, 2006 at 02:17 AM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    *alwayz_yummy

hehehe... magka age lang pala tayo. lahat ng sinabi mo w/ regards to midsized sedans tama. and also, what i like about these mid size cars, they don't need to be modded para gumanda. for me maganda na sya in stock form, lalo na kung malinis tingnan (well lahat naman ata ng oto maganda pag malinis). and when i say weekend use, travel lng from my apt (makati) to my house (navotas), which is about less than 40kms (back and forth) and some visit to malls. and also my occasional visit to my soon to be in-laws in tarlac. naiimagine ko na gamit ang galant sa nlex... and dahil sa pkikipagpalitan ko ng kuro-kuro sayo... i'm leaning towards the car which excites me most... 7th-g vr v6, timeless... for me at least... hope you get yours.

7thG galant is ok a!, may owners dito ng 7th-G galant na pang week-end: si sir SSALOON....punta ka sa me and my tsikot section, may thread ang 7th G galant (rayban nya!)

may isa pa bago din thread dun red vr v6....

swertihan makakuha ng manual vr- v6 na good conditon at low milage(kasi ang prob naman sa most mid-sizers are driver-driven...e anung pakialam ng drive sa sasakyan, di naman sa kanya,e....

actually, for me ha, hirap lumipat sa compact, although compacts now a days kasing laki na ng maxima ko! 15 year na sa akin 1989 maxima ng mom ko, and still fun driving it....kaya wishing manalo sa lotto, at direchong mazda 6 na yan....or (FD civic SI or focus hatch)

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: 200 km/h speeds? We've held the RS and SiR at 200 km/h for nearly ten minutes on a clear stretch... a stock SiR can definitely take the heat.

The I4 and V6 of the Galant are of similar displacement, and the heat soak and stress capacity should be similar. The only advantage they have over the SiR is that the longer gearing will keep them at a lower rpm than the SiR... that's all.

It's only the VR4 version that actually hits 240+ km/h. The regular I4 and V6 top out at just over 200 km/h... depending on the tranny.

RE: FF - Prey for the rain? You probably mean FR. FF has the same advantage that AWD has in the rain and in light dirt, power understeer. Meaning, if you keep your foot down when the rear starts to slide out, you can keep the car's stance neutral. This is the exact same trick the VR4 and Evo use in rally-style driving... but of course, they have the advantage of better traction on corner exit, making them faster in the dirt. But for beginning rally drivers, FF is pretty convenient, and very easy to drive, hence the JWRC class being filled with FF subcompacts.

The area where FF loses out is in deep snow or deep mud. But if you get in deep mud, there's a good trick to get out... put it in reverse... this puts all of the car's weight on the drive wheels and gives you great traction.

This is the reason that Porsche's are actually good snow cars or rally cars... great traction in slippery conditions, because the engine is right over the drive wheels. Steering, however, is another matter... ...but that's what makes Porsches fun.

Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    First, I will tell you about Civics (Again no offense)
    > Most Sir owners are boastful about how great their ride is, which is literally not.
    > Its the engine thats powerful and skillfull not the driver.
    > SiR is more like a cheap type of drag car. To the people who wants to mod without expressing much patience, passion and thinking.
    > Some SiR drivers are middle aged (18-30) which is just a toy for winning girls etc etc.
    No offense either, but here's my rebuttal:
    - I've met a lot of drivers of midsize cars and others who are convinced their car is the best on the road.
    - What does that have to do with the SiR being good or not? I've seen lots of nuts behind the wheels of other cars, too.
    - I've met some dragsters who put little thought into how to set up their car, but not just with SiRs... with Mitsubishi Lancers, Lan-Evos, Sentras, Corollas, etcetera... oh, and even Galants. And I've met guys with Civics with very detailed and well thought out builds, good parts matching and great maintenance. Cars not built on the cheap, but built with love and attention. And yes, I've met owners of other cars who are that way, too.
    - And I suppose nobody buys a Galant to impress girls, huh? I know one or two guys who did.

> Some SiR drivers challenge my bike for a race, However, blocked by a car in front of him, I beat him.
    Easy-easy lang, street racing is a questionable activity... and what does traffic have to do with the SiR being a good car or not? That same car would've more easily blocked the wider Galant...

> SiR struggle to reach 220 - 240kph. (stock)
    So do stock Galant V6s.

> Present generation of Civics are spectacularly ugly (thats just me) In fairness, ang design... Wala man lang Patience of bringing the best of its looks.
    Oh, I'll give you that. They aren't pretty!

> Some SiR drivers are mindless... In fairness, ang ingay ng kotse mo mahina ang takbo, nakaka-istorbo sa loob ng schools. kala mo naman ang sarap pakinggan... Hoy di Ferrari ang kotse mo noh!
    And I can remember countless times when our classes in high school were interrupted by the sounds of superbikes roaring by the window. So... even bike owners are mindless, hmmm?

> Ang dami ko pa sana kaso sobra na... Sorry nalang... Im beginning to think if binayaran nyo LTO to get your license...
    I think that about almost everyone I see on the road, regardless of what they drive.

GALANT
    > The 4 cyclinder GALANT can reach up to a speed of 260kph. (VR4)
    And only the VR4.

> Passionate Galant owners have passion and patience to bring the most of their cars. Expressing hard work of waiting and calling different suppliers of mod stores.
    I've seen my share of cheaply modified Galants. Fart cans and locally beaten headers, Simota air filters, the like. I'm not generalizing, here, but no car is immune to the weekend modifier.

Honestly, you can't say you've never seen a Galant with a 2000 peso fart can and a cheap steel rail rear wing, can you?

> The VR Galant engine can extract 400 (+) bhp, the VR-4 600 (+) bhp
    There are Civics with 400hp builds, also. And B18s with near 500hp builds.

> 6g Galant are true in speed. Very stable and smooth.
    I'll give you that, I don't like the feel of the Civic at 200 km/h.

> Awarded as the car of the year of its time.
    So was the Civic, many times.

> Seen a lot of GALANT. Bomb proof engine. I saw lots of them still running. Abused, no paint, filled with scratches, still running.
    > GALANT's body is remarkable. Saw one crashed, parang lata na ang body pero still running and the driver is proud to be alive with minor scratches.
    And I've seen various Galants broken on the road, with a front wheel sticking out at an extreme angle, because of poorly maintained ball-joints giving way. I've yet to see any Civic SiR break down for reasons aside from stupid over-revving drivers.

> GALANT has its attitude inside and outside. Unlike sa Civic, panget ang exterior the engine is the only source of charisma.
    > 8g Galant is pure motorsport.
    > 7g is a bit of motorsport yet its a sleeper.
    > 6g whether VR or VR-4 is truely rally and raced bred cars.
    > A Galant easily blends in to the lifestyle and age of every owner. Kahit ikaw ay isang simpleng tao o ikaw man ay isang racing enthusiast big timer businessman. O isang sosyal na babae o Look alike Tom Hughs type of person.
    > Ang dami pa...
    Ah... that's a matter of taste, then. True, the Civic is anonymous in both exterior and interior styling, but the B16 has introduced generations of drivers to motorbike-like revving in a simple grocery-getter. It's not perfect, no torque, and yes, it's Front Wheel drive, and no, it's not the best FWD chassis out there (too much understeer), but it brought the joy of driving to a generation stuck with dull little cars with little life or verve.

Oh, I think that the Galant VR4 is a much better car, but to say that all Galants are better than the SiR, especially if we're talking in terms of performance, well, that's a judgement that I just can't sit by and let slide...
    Last edited by niky; October 11th, 2006 at 06:41 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

eto magkalinawan na....

ang VR4 na galant ay awd, up to 6th gen lang ang IN-LINE-4 4G63T AT HANGANG DUN LANG!

7th gen, 8th gen Galant VR4 are equipped with this:

and only that!

so kung LOCAL NA 7th-8th gen vr4---ITS A BIG FAKE! VERY BIG! HYPE LANG NG MGA SELLERS... AT WALANG VR6 ANG MITSU.... VR6 IS THE TRADEMARK FOR VOLKSWAGEN PERFORMANCE V6 ENGINES....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
HONDA SiR & MITSU galant VR4 & VR6,which is much better in performance?