New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Hi Tsikot Family,

I own a 2009 Honda City and it is due for 120,000 kms PMS. Part of the service is replacement of brake fluid. Has anybody experienced getting their brake fluid replaced by any Honda Dealership? Do they flush the brake fluid from all the lines or do they just scoop out the fluid from the master reserve container?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You need not go to a Honda casa to change the brake fluid, if your car is out of warranty already. You cannot scoop out the brake fluid from its reservoir. Brake fluid is very corrosive and can damage your car's paint if you accidentally spill it over.

You can go to a trusted shop and ask them to bleed the brake fluid system and then replace the brake fluid. Just buy Honda OEM brake fluid from a Honda dealer (maybe 2 bottles will do) as Honda cars are quite choosy with fluids. Normal auto shops will not charge you more than 500 for the bleeding/replace of the brake fluid.

Since your car has reached 120k, you might as well change the ATF. Normal ATF change cycle is every 40k km. For more details, check your car's manual for what needs to be changed at 120k km.
    Last edited by Egan101; June 11th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    You need not go to a Honda casa to change the brake fluid, if your car is out of warranty already. You cannot scoop out the brake fluid from its reservoir. Brake fluid is very corrosive and can damage your car's paint if you accidentally spill it over.

You can go to a trusted shop and ask them to bleed the brake fluid system and then replace the brake fluid. Just buy Honda OEM brake fluid from a Honda dealer (maybe 2 bottles will do) as Honda cars are quite choosy with fluids. Normal auto shops will not charge you more than 500 for the bleeding/replace of the brake fluid.

Since your car has reached 120k, you might as well change the ATF. Normal ATF change cycle is every 40k km. For more details, check your car's manual for what needs to be changed at 120k km.
    Thank you sir Egan. Yes in the checklist, ATF will also be replaced. 3 liters of it if I remember correctly. Air and aircon filters as well. One question though, since the car is equipped with ABS, is the bleeding procedure the same as cars fitted with standard brakes?

Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Thank you sir Egan. Yes in the checklist, ATF will also be replaced. 3 liters of it if I remember correctly. Air and aircon filters as well. One question though, since the car is equipped with ABS, is the bleeding procedure the same as cars fitted with standard brakes?

Thanks!
    ABS is an electronic control module so it will not be impacted by draining the brake fluid. Yes, bleeding procedure will be the same as with other vehicles.

You might as well change your fuel filter and replace the drive belt. Check the suspension parts and replace the shock absorbers if you see some leaks on it already. We just replaced the front shock absorbers of our 2009 City 1.5E. KYB Excel-G replacement shocks are now available for GE-chassis City/Jazz.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Deleting double post.
    Last edited by Egan101; June 11th, 2014 at 02:16 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    ABS is an electronic control module so it will not be impacted by draining the brake fluid. Yes, bleeding procedure will be the same as with other vehicles.

You might as well change your fuel filter and replace the drive belt. Check the suspension parts and replace the shock absorbers if you see some leaks on it already. We just replaced the front shock absorbers of our 2009 City 1.5E. KYB Excel-G replacement shocks are now available for GE-chassis City/Jazz.
    Thanks again sir Egan! The drive belt was replaced at 110T kms, fuel filter was replaced last 80T kms. It will be replaced come 160T kms PMS according to the manual.

I am curious about the front shock absorbers. Last time I had a mechanic check my suspension, he said that the front shocks are already developing a leak. How much did you buy the front shocks for your 2009 City?

Thanks!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The price for the KYB Excel-G (GE-chassis) front shock absorber is between 3500 to 3800 in the shops within BF Paranaque area. The rear shocks are between 1800 to 2000. Don't bother asking the price of the shocks from a Honda casa, hehehehe.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    The price for the KYB Excel-G (GE-chassis) front shock absorber is between 3500 to 3800 in the shops within BF Paranaque area. The rear shocks are between 1800 to 2000. Don't bother asking the price of the shocks from a Honda casa, hehehehe.
    I see. Are these the same as the ones for the GM (2009) City? At this point I think I only need to replace two in front.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    I see. Are these the same as the ones for the GM (2009) City? At this point I think I only need to replace two in front.
    It should be the same, assuming you have the same City chassis (2009-2013) as ours, unless you have the older model City (IDSI). The local 2009-2013 City/Jazz have the same chassis code (GE) and share a lot of similar parts between models (1.3L MT, 1.3L AT, 1.5L AT).

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    It should be the same, assuming you have the same City chassis (2009-2013) as ours, unless you have the older model City (IDSI). The local 2009-2013 City/Jazz have the same chassis code (GE) and share a lot of similar parts between models (1.3L MT, 1.3L AT, 1.5L AT).
    Thanks sir Egan! I will have the suspension checked when I get the oil and other fluids replaced.