New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    CVTs are fine. The fastest cars in an all-Jazz and all-City trackday last April all had CVTs and they ran fine afterward. If that doesn't spell abuse I don't know what does.

Oh wait, I do: You'd have to put 120 WHP through the CVT to wear its clutch packs out to the point that it's unusable.

Maintenance lang ang katapat nyan. Honda ATF-Z1 fluid is a CVT's best friend

I guess that this is the official Honda CVT fluid, right bro.?

Reason why I am asking is that I bought "Honda CVT" fluid from True Value, ATC, a few years ago and I've never used it. After a couple of weeks, they disappeared from their shelf and no one can satisfactorily explain to me the reason why.....

I need to check tonight if they have the same part number.....

8303:dishwash:

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Yep, you can find that in the owner's manual. ;)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    CVTs are fine. The fastest cars in an all-Jazz and all-City trackday last April all had CVTs and they ran fine afterward. If that doesn't spell abuse I don't know what does.
    It's not a single event. It's the accumulation of bad habits during daily driving. The sudden acceleration from a stoplight or similar.

Oh wait, I do: You'd have to put 120 WHP through the CVT to wear its clutch packs out to the point that it's unusable.

Maintenance lang ang katapat nyan. Honda ATF-Z1 fluid is a CVT's best friend
    Our City's tranny had premature wear on it's flywheel which required replacement. That was within it's warranty period so we didn't pay a centavo then.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]How to avoid CVT gearbox failures in Honda City, Fit and Jazz (Sri Lankan perspective)[/SIZE]

http://rayazmuthalif.wordpress.com/2...n-perspective/

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    It's not a single event. It's the accumulation of bad habits during daily driving. The sudden acceleration from a stoplight or similar.
    The guys I mentioned that had the fastest times at SIR didn't get their enviable times just because of one trackday. They practiced over a number of other trackdays that I wasn't able to join. So yes I'm not talking about a single event either.
    Our City's tranny had premature wear on it's flywheel which required replacement. That was within it's warranty period so we didn't pay a centavo then.
    Flywheel replacement eh? So this is non-specific to CVTs, even manual gearboxes would be susceptible.

The Achilles' heel specific to CVTs as I mentioned is the clutch pack. There should be no problems with that unless your CVT'ed Jazz or City is boosted. Even the 1.5L engines make just 90 WHP when thrown into the car...well below the 120WHP "threshold"

This threshold and the weakness of CVTs have actually been documented in two separate issues of "Top Gear Philippines."
    Last edited by Type 100; July 28th, 2009 at 10:31 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
honda jazz or city 1.3 long distance driving