New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    since i got this car, gustong gusto ko tlga to. how it looks, performace.. parang nde nalalaos. now im thinking of upgrading to a higher model. syempre honda pa rin. let me know ur opinions given u have this kind of car. im starting to believe na its the best compact car na nagawa ng honda next to models 96 and up syempre. now im thorn if i'd upgrade to a higher model or keep it and save up for upgrades. ph16 engine (non vtec) A/T tranny. is this for keeps and upgrade na lang or better get a higher model? kung tago ko na lang, is it ok if i save up for a b16 engine? can my A/T tranny keep up with a powerful b16 engine? i have a lots in mind in terms of upgrading / modifying the car. well in summary, just let me know what's on your mind if given you own this kind of car and willing to spend on upgrades. let's say you have 100k to burn and you have a 95 esi A/T, what would you do?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    EG is a nice car... but its age is starting to show na. it also has a lot of options when putting in aftermarket parts so even if its getting on with the years, medyo sumasabay pa rin naman.

your 100k budget is great. its going to give you a lot of possibilities. resale value of your car now is in the 120-140 range, add your 100k and you can get a decent 1999 VTEC model.

or you can get a nice d15b vtec engine for about 45k with transmission and ecu, dropt it down the engine bay (yes its a straightforward swap) and have vtec. spend another 20k for labor and other engine refreshening parts and you've got a machine that can smoke a lot of the EKs and ES's on the road today, stock to stock.

may sukli ka pa 35k... mag, tyres and lowering springs naman. pwede mo rin ibenta yung ph16 engine mo, you can still get about 15-20k for it.

mahal pa ang b16 ngayon, kulang ang 100k mo. last time i checked it was 80-120k pa. although walang imposible pag maraming pera, kung ako may 100k i would make it count na lang with an engine swap.

like you, i also like my automatic cars... i think the automatic tranny will support up to 150whp in a drag race. i remember a thread in HCP once, discussing some guy's problems with his turbo setup on a a/t car. he was making 170whp (DAW) on turbo and nitrous when the tranny broke.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Since you got money to burn, I'd suggest spending the budget first on replacing all the rubber bushings on your suspension. Those things age even if you don't use the car. All EGs are anywhere from 13-16 years old by now. Upgrade to polyurethane bushings if you can for greater durability.

Next, I'd invest in a better set of tires, lightweight wheels, and brake pads.

Put off work on the engine until last. The car has to be ready for the power you plan to put into it...that's my philosophy. What good is power if you can't turn, brake or even drive it properly?

Even better: go to trackdays before you plan on upgrading anything. After you've learned proper driving and driven the car at its limits, you can upgrade according to how YOU feel it should improve. Like an old friend said: Driving skill, unlike cars, is something that doesn't depreciate, rust or degrade the more you use it - it actually gets better.

More important than making the car worthy for the power, you as a driver have to be worthy of handling the power first.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    when your in love, its really hard to let go. i feel your dilema. but sometimes, it's really a question of "do i really want to move on?". seems like your not ready to. so do first what you like with your beloved eg. you stock tranny won't bolt on to a b16. you need to buy a complete b16 a/t engine & tranny if you still want to go a/t.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was in the exact same situation a couple weeks back. In the end, i finally decided to sell my 14 year old car. It was modified to the brim. Engine swap to turbo, suspension works, bodyworks, audio setup. I bought a brand new car to replace it. Tama sila, it's up to you if you are willing to move on. And take note, aftermarket items dont add to the vehicle's value, unless you sell it to an enthusiast who really appreciates it. Good luck in your decision bro, but if it were up to me, and the car would be for keeps, i'd spend the 100k to fix everything up and return it to tip-top OEM form. But that's just me.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I drive a d15b mt eg sedan and I fell in love with it as well, to the point of giving it a name and treating it like a girlfriend

I once thought of swapping it to a Super Touring and a 4AGE silvertop ae92. Dati yun. Pero I held on to it upon realising how great and practical a car it is.

With your 100k and the matic ESI, I'd up for the d15b swap and suspension/tire upgrades. Pag may natira, up the brakes as well, yung pang SiR.

Swak sa budget yun. Ok naman ang d15b eh, tipid sa gas pero hindi katitipirin sa power. Kahit VTI-S kaya nitong sabayan even on stock

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Ask ko lng po san po pwd at maganda mag pa modified ng INTERIOR para sa honda ESI (SEATS, GAGE, DASH BOARD, ETC) Sound system, Body kits, Body color, Sana po sa MANILA area po.. salamat

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    dude, if you plan to buy a used car to replace your old car, you better think twice. you will never know what you will get when you buy a used car, unless you know cars very well, or you have a trusted (very good) mechanic to tell you the truth about the car that you are interested in.

if you have money to spend, get a new car. but if your budget is not good for a new car, you can do 2 things: (1) save up some more so you can buy a new car, or (2) save the money for future maintenance.

also, don't find something to fix when there is none... as the saying goes... if your ain't broke, don't fix it. (this is the response on how you described your car).

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Since you got money to burn, I'd suggest spending the budget first on replacing all the rubber bushings on your suspension. Those things age even if you don't use the car. All EGs are anywhere from 13-16 years old by now. Upgrade to polyurethane bushings if you can for greater durability.

Next, I'd invest in a better set of tires, lightweight wheels, and brake pads.

Put off work on the engine until last. The car has to be ready for the power you plan to put into it...that's my philosophy. What good is power if you can't turn, brake or even drive it properly?

Even better: go to trackdays before you plan on upgrading anything. After you've learned proper driving and driven the car at its limits, you can upgrade according to how YOU feel it should improve. Like an old friend said: Driving skill, unlike cars, is something that doesn't depreciate, rust or degrade the more you use it - it actually gets better.

More important than making the car worthy for the power, you as a driver have to be worthy of handling the power first.
    +1000 ako dito.

btw, want to share this from HCP forum. just give this a couple minutes.. worth reading for...

[SIZE=4]PARIS: my 14 year love story; [/SIZE][SIZE=4]if you love your car, please read[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]by [/SIZE][SIZE=3]zee-duce[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]hello hcp, i hope you dont mind if i post this story ive written

its quite long and i just needed to let it out of my chest. some may think its just a waste of time but to some, the bond between them and their car is so strong.

It was 14 years ago when I woke up one morning and there she was, sitting so quietly in our garage. I was intrigued by the way she looks because she seems so different from the others. Then I approached her slowly while admiring her lines and curves. As I was running my fingers through her body I could not help but smile as I was thinking of all the good times we will have together. I was a teenager back then... and everytime Im with her, I feel a sense of pride and happiness. As the years passed on by, we grew to know each other better... I would know if she’s having a bad day just by listening to the way she sounds. And she in return knows what mood I am in but still remains calms and supportive. She patiently waits for me after school through sun and rain. Making sure that I am safe. And there was this one time that we were both stranded somewhere in manila due to flood waters. I was afraid for her safety so gripped her tight and asked her, “can we do this?” And in my head, I heard her answer, “ready when you are boss” and we braved the waters still being cautious of her condition... I was worried that she might not make it across. But to my relief, we made it through together. Although we were both soaking wet, we were fine and we got home safely...

Fast forward to a different time, I have just met my girlfriend back then, I feel that she has become jealous of her. After all, my time has been divided between her and my GF. But she still remained understanding. Catering to my every whim. Bringing me to all the places I wanted to go and bring me there safely. She stood by my side all those times. Giving me the much needed confidence every time. She was there when I graduated college. Being with me all through those years she was wearing the same color as she did when I first saw her. So i thought to myself, its time I rewarded her for her services. We went to a shop and I picked a color that would suit her best. After waiting for her, it seems that I haven’t seen her for the longest time ever. And there she was, pretty in red. And i could not help but smile as I remember the feeling ive had when i first met her. I fell inlove with her all over again...

She was with me through every job interview I went to. Again I can hear her speak to me saying ‘you can do this’... And just like that I seem to regain every composure I need. Then i started my own business. And i can see that her shoes were all worn out because of all our journeys together. So i decided that she needs to get a new pair for herself. And i did buy her new shoes. I can feel that she’s happy with it. She seem to grow more confidence in herself. ..

But due to her old age, her heart is starting to fail. I can feel that she is not as lively as she was before. But it doesn’t seem to bother her. She still serves me with everything she has got. Although i know that she is having a hard time keeping up with the younger generations around her, she still tries her best to keep me safe. But one day, her heart finally gave up... i rushed her to my friend’s shop and told him what we can do. He told me that she needs a new heart. So quickly, i tried looking for a new heart that will be replacing the old one. And i found it. It was carefully placed back inside her. And as they were working on her, i gave her a soft pat and told her ‘dont worry, everything will be alright soon...’ so i waited and waited. And finally the operation was done. Her new heart was working properly. My friend told me to pace her slowly for she might not be quite ready yet and complications my arise. So we went home so that she could rest properly. I exercised her regularly until she got a complete feel of her new powerplant.

After a few months, she was back in shape. Stronger that she has ever been. She can easily keep up with anyone now. And it made me happy that she is now okay. I slowly transformed her to what she is right now. Painstakingly completing every detail. But the end result was worth it. Every one who sees her gives an approving nod. Congratulating me for the good job ive done. Of course we were both happy.

Fast forward to the present... she sits quietly in the garage... just like when i first met her 14 years ago... I quietly talk to her, reminiscing all the good times we have had. Laughing at our previous mistakes and thinking of our achievements together... but then i told her, things are different now... i already have a family of my own... and we are growing bigger... i now have a wife who takes care of me.. and i was gripping her so tight. Teary eyed... ‘its time for us to say good bye to each other’ i softly whispered... and with a loving purr she told me ‘its okay boss... you can let go now. I know that you are now happy with what you have and you need someone who can serve you better... im just happy that weve been together for 14 years. And now its time we go our separate ways... i know my new family will take care of me the way you have done for so long..’

And then they came... the new family that will adopt her. Happily greeting me. The kids were smiling as they hugged her and greeted her. I handed them the keys to my loyal civic. My car that has been with me for 14 years... the car that has been with me through my ups and downs. The car that never gave up on me... and with a final farewell, i gave Paris a stroke of touch and a kiss as i whispered ‘serve them well’... and she was gone.[/SIZE]

Click the image to view full size

If you see a red ek civic with a plate number UFZ764, may i ask that you honk your horn as a sign of respect for the cars that has served us well and has grown so dearly close to us that we had to let go... thanks guys.
    Edited by zee-duce, Nov 25 2010, 01:53:30 PM.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Keep it, Restore & Detail it up it 100% shape. In a few years. You can sell it higher than the Selling Price today.

Honda ESI 1995 -- to keep or to upgrade to a newer model??