New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    i agree with your sentiments, but i will only share what is written in the owner's manual. honda printed it for a reason.

a fully synthetic oil should last longer compared to regular or synth-blend because of the additives. it should break down slower compared with non-synth oils. that's why it's more expensive. now, it will get more expensive if you are following the 3k or 3months thinking. most new cars are now equiped with maintenance minder to remind you what your maintenance should be, not only oil change. a honda civic (non-Si) can have 7.5k miles until the minder lights up. hence, oil changes is not so much expensive.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LNopal View Post
    i don't understand understand the statement :

Perhaps not that common an occurrence, but worth bearing in mind nevertheless.

it seems like the author is not so positive about his statement. is it a myth?
    I think it was the belief during those times when the material of oil seal and seal rings were made of inferior quality. Today's oil seals are superior than decade ago so you can ignore this if you have a newer designed/built engine. IMHO.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    i've used 5w-30 before... havoline ung brand, blue bottle semi-sythetic lang ya talaga nung time na yun about half the price of mobil 1. now this exact type of oil from havoline is now being marketed as fully synthetic and i highly doubt na nag reformulate sila.

used that oil 3 times for 1 year, i think 07 or 08 yun. after 1 year, tanggal rocker cover to check timing and valve clearances... ayun, all cam lobes were scuffed. kelangan daw i-grind to smoothen them out again pero di ko na pinagawa kasi wala naman epekto sa performance. never used that oil again.

now i'm not saying na ganto mangyayari pag gumamit ka ng 5w-30 ha... i'me just saying na be careful what you put into the engine - even if its manufacturer recommended oil. such things are dictated by the weather in the country with the biggest market share of the vehicle you're purchasing... countries like china, north america, japan... where they need oil that will not freeze solid in the winter. here in noynoy's country, its 36C in the summer, 30C wet season... and if you run to pagudpod in the middle of 36C weather there's bound to be lots of degradation in the oil. sometimes its good to just follow gut instinct for these types of things.

10w-40/30 has a good spread of viscosity improvers, and if your engine burns through all the additives in the oil, the base will still flow like a 10w. now pag 5w-30, mas maraming additives ito (kaya mahal eh)... once the VIs are exhausted, well, you're left with an oil thats too thin, and loaded with alikabok and other dirt. as reference, 0w is like water, 2-3w is like cooking oil. labnaw nun.

Boss Bump this thread and gives me awareness for my honda civic 2008. My mother nag padala ULTIMATE FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-30 with part number: 08798-9039 from california. Any comments for this type of oil 3 times pa ako nag change oil ever since every 5000 kilometers and mileage more than 80 thousand. Would this be recommended on my honda civic? And also any comment for this type of oil OIL, ULT SYNTH (5W-20) - Honda (08798-9038). salamat boss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
honda engine oil different