New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post

CVT offers better fuel efficiency over the older 4AT and 5AT trannies, as what most manufacturers claim.
    is it a claim, or is it real?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is it a claim, or is it real?
    its a fact

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I think the best comparison here for 4at vs cvt fc is the 3rd gen vios.

Earlier batches had 4at, while latter batches have cvt.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    I think the best comparison here for 4at vs cvt fc is the 3rd gen vios.

Earlier batches had 4at, while latter batches have cvt.

do the cvt ones give more km/li than the 4ats?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I dunno. Was hoping someone had owned both versions to make apples to apples comparo.

6. Join Date
    May 2017

Yup, yan ang narinig ko, sabi pa daw ni Scott Kilmer sa Youtube, CVTs have even the potential to even surpass manual transmissions in terms of fuel efficiency because computers are the ones who are consistently calculating the appropriate correct speed based on the driver's behavior so as to come out with the most efficient use of fuel economy. So say goodbye to manual transmissions hehe

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    this is not recommended
    It may not be written in the manual, but i rather not rrisk running the transmission while there could be an error in the computer box after battery removal (without running off the alternator).

Im just saying what i do to avoid needing a cvt reset.

I also own a sylphy cvt. When nissan serviced the sylphy, they removed the battery over the course of repair work (i posted this in the thread for sylphy).

When i got the car back, the transmission was behaving differently. I brought it back for a reset. Nissan doesnt have the same like honda. So they installed the latest firmware they had on hand for the cvt. Basically equivalent to a reset.

The transmissiom behaved the same after it as well.

So, you could see it as anecdotal. But that has been my personal experience with cvts and i would rather not risk it.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    It may not be written in the manual, but i rather not rrisk running the transmission while there could be an error in the computer box after battery removal (without running off the alternator).

Im just saying what i do to avoid needing a cvt reset.

I also own a sylphy cvt. When nissan serviced the sylphy, they removed the battery over the course of repair work (i posted this in the thread for sylphy).

When i got the car back, the transmission was behaving differently. I brought it back for a reset. Nissan doesnt have the same like honda. So they installed the latest firmware they had on hand for the cvt. Basically equivalent to a reset.

The transmissiom behaved the same after it as well.

So, you could see it as anecdotal. But that has been my personal experience with cvts and i would rather not risk it.

what you're doing is risky as well. the battery buffers the raw output of the alternator, protecting all your electronics from spikes etc

the proper way is to use a memory saver cable. plugs to OBD2 port.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ibalik ang 4AT !

seriously, what real advantage does cvt have over the traditional AT ?
    Personally, my main beef with CVTs is the long-term durability because I tend to keep my cars until they either fall apart or quit running (usually 13-15 years). Otherwise, I find the CVT great when using cruise control on road trips. Perhaps, I'm wrong. But, the CVT is always at the most optimal/efficient setting of the RPM range which is not the case with conventional AT. An AT is prone to gear hunting during a climb with roughness and speed loss/compensation. With a CVT, assuming a climb the CVT can handle, the speed remained constant with smoother adjustments. It really surprised me (in a good way) the first time I encountered it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 21st, 2019 at 11:40 PM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Personally, my main beef with CVTs is the long-term durability because I tend to keep my cars until they either fall apart or quit running (usually 13-15 years). Otherwise, I find the CVT great when using cruise control on road trips. Perhaps, I'm wrong. But, the CVT is always at the most optimal/efficient setting of the RPM range which is not the case with conventional AT.

exactly. the CVT computer could probably pick between a thousand different "gear ratios"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Honda CVT transmission concerns, have you had any? How did the dealership handle it?