New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 80 of 122 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigg ma View Post
    no abs? imposible, the 2nd gen 2001 already has the ABS...

the ABS only automates the braking system for it not to lockup and skid for you to have vehicle control while braking, without it you have to learn how to do the manual mode aka proper braking techniques which you should basically know just in case your ABS fails!

as my saying goes, you cant go to the advance, without learning the basics (just like learn MT first before going AT)
    crv_no-abs.jpg

I brought the car to Honda Shaw, the service advisors looked at the front hood components and said they was no ABS (see picture, it should be present near the steering fluid container). Also when you started the car, there was no ABS on the upper left side. I think only CRV EX has it.. the CRV LX doesn't have it. When you have a car in front of you suddenly stopping in the middle of highway. Only ABS equipped car can make you adjust the steering. If you will manually step on the brake and release and step dozens of times a dozen a second or two.. it's not possible in that 2 second critical period when all you can focus is stepping on the brake.

Who else has no ABS in their CRV?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    we were driving non-ABS cars longer than ABS'ed cars.
    but i think we have more car collisions now than before.
    i think this is "proof" the most important safety feature is still "the nut behind the wheel".

Sir, maybe there are more cars now

3. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    Big18. Do you know the minimum speed before the CRV would skid when brakes suddenly applied (like when the car in front suddenly stops or a person suddenly appears)? So I can keep it to the minimum speed for this backup car. For 12 years. I thought it had ABS so I could make it run at even 100 kilometers per hour.. but knowing now it doesn't have ABS.. need to just maintain that minimum speed when the car is still steerable when brakes applied suddenly. In emergency situation like the car in front stopping.. you want to apply brakes as hard as possible to make sure it stops. In split seconds you cant decide to do threshold braking (or releasing and stepping dozens of times a second or so).

4. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    Big18. Do you know the minimum speed before the CRV would skid when brakes suddenly applied (like when the car in front suddenly stops or a person suddenly appears)? So I can keep it to the minimum speed for this backup car. For 12 years. I thought it had ABS so I could make it run at even 100 kilometers per hour.. but knowing now it doesn't have ABS.. need to just maintain that minimum speed when the car is still steerable when brakes applied suddenly. In emergency situation like the car in front stopping.. you want to apply brakes as hard as possible to make sure it stops. In split seconds you cant decide to do threshold braking (or releasing and stepping dozens of times a second or so).
    Sorry, im no stuntdriver didnt test our old crv's limits

5. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    For the abovementioned situations, a collision sensor would help you more than an abs. Only time an abs might be needed is when you are recklessly speeding on a wet slippery highway.

I always hate hearing an accident on tv where a driver reasons "biglang preno yung nasa harap ko e". It only means that the guy was driving too close without a safety margin. ABS won't avert it. But your not this guy because you care for safety.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    that, too. yes. i knew i should have included that! sleepy...
    Last edited by dr. d; May 22nd, 2016 at 10:06 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ako as a personal rule, i always maintain a one-car-length distance (at least) guide when i'm driving around in moderate speeds. and then i add more distance to the car in front of me as i drive faster ( wherever higher car speeds can be attained)

pero wala talaga abs iyong '12 crv model? naka k20 na kasi engine niyan kaya i expect abs equipped na siya kaya medyo nagulat ako sa sabi ni bro k_leos

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    crv_no-abs.jpg

I brought the car to Honda Shaw, the service advisors looked at the front hood components and said they was no ABS (see picture, it should be present near the steering fluid container). Also when you started the car, there was no ABS on the upper left side. I think only CRV EX has it.. the CRV LX doesn't have it. When you have a car in front of you suddenly stopping in the middle of highway. Only ABS equipped car can make you adjust the steering. If you will manually step on the brake and release and step dozens of times a dozen a second or two.. it's not possible in that 2 second critical period when all you can focus is stepping on the brake.

Who else has no ABS in their CRV?
    yes, that ABS metal box with its cute metal tubings is hard to miss.
    how's your third row, sir? is it front-facing, or jeepney style? if the latter, this may have been the special edition designed to take advantage of the tax-friendly laws for mass-carrier vehicles at that time. removing the ABS was probably another attempt at reducing the CRV's admittedly higher price, then...

when a rear fender and a front fender bump, the default assumption is that the car behind was following too close and/or too fast. "the only way i can think of to change this assumption, is to prove that the car in front backed up."
    there's this three-second rule. at any decent speed, have at least three seconds of response time between your car and the one in front.

ABS can only help the driver control his vehicle. ABS does not make the vehicle idiot-proof.
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 22nd, 2016 at 10:15 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ako as a personal rule, i always maintain a one-car-length distance (at least) guide when i'm driving around in moderate speeds. and then i add more distance to the car in front of me as i drive faster ( wherever higher car speeds can be attained)

pero wala talaga abs iyong '12 crv model? naka k20 na kasi engine niyan kaya i expect abs equipped na siya kaya medyo nagulat ako sa sabi ni bro k_leos

Proper rule is 1 car length distance for every 10 kph speed. Now it's the 3-second rule for safe distance.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Hi,

Confirm ko lang. Mas matipid sa gas ang 2.0 vs 2.4 city driving right?

I'm looking forward to buy a 2008 CRV, either 2.0 or 2.4.

Mostly city driving lang.

Honda CRV [continued]