New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Interesting to...

Honda Civic SUV on way | News | Auto Express

Honda Civic SUV on way
    Honda is planning a crossover to take on the big-selling Nissan Qashqai from 2013
    Auto Express Car ReviewsText: Luke Madden / Photos: Poblete04th January 2012Honda has set its sights on emulating the runaway success of the Nissan Qashqai – and our exclusive images reveal the car it will pin its hopes on. The company is keen to boost its profitability in Europe, particularly in the UK, where sales have halved over the last three years. And a new crossover to sit between the Civic and CR-V is seen as key to its chances of doing so.

The as-yet-unnamed car will be based on a tweaked version of the new Civic’s platform, and go on sale next year. Our illustrations show how it’s likely to look. It blends Civic styling cues, such as the flowing wheelarches and narrow headlights, with a front end from the company’s Skydeck MPV concept car, plus additional chunky details like the underbody guard. Inside, it will make use of the Civic’s flip-up rear seats.

Despite the high-riding stance, the crossover will have to be good to drive, and that’s where the Civic underpinnings will help. Fluid-filled bushes and a stiff rear subframe will keep the ride supple and the handling sharp.

As with the Qashqai, the big-selling engines would all be diesels, and Honda’s new 1.6-litre i-DTEC engine will be the main attraction. It produces 118bhp and 300Nm of torque, and should emit around 110g/km of CO2, with economy of 70mpg, thanks to stop-start and an efficient electric power-steering set-up. The more powerful 147bhp 2.2-litre i-DTEC engine will also be offered, alongside a 1.8-litre petrol engine with 138bhp.

A key Honda selling point is hybrid technology and the firm will be looking to introduce next-generation hybrid systems on the newcomer. That could mean an electric motor at the rear, giving the company a four-wheel-drive version. Plus, a plug-in hybrid system is being developed for some of Honda’s larger vehicles, and the Qashqai rival could be one of the first models to get it. A price tag of around £17,000 is likely when the newcomer arrives in showrooms in 2013.

Read more: Honda Civic SUV on way | News | Auto Express

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    So... Another HRV? Why not just use the CRV platform, since it's already Civic-based?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    So... Another HRV? Why not just use the CRV platform, since it's already Civic-based?
    Same question when I read the story. The CRV is based on the Civic already. Maybe they want something closer to the Civic like how the Lancer EX and ASX can practically swap parts between vehicles.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    similar parts + similar style =less production cost

less production cost + civic brand = more profit

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The first CRV and the EK(?) civic shared parts... and yes i too was thinking "uh, isnt the CRV the crossover civic"? In fact its what started this craze...

Possibly granting to the fact that the newer CRVs are totally on a different path than the original...

I've recently seen some sketches of a Jazz-based SUV that had some weird rear sliding doors.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    similar parts + similar style =less production cost

less production cost + civic brand = more profit

Same platform >>> less conversion time >>> more production output >>> lower unit cost...

14.8K:fone:

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Same platform >>> less conversion time >>> more production output >>> lower unit cost...

14.8K:fone:
    sana nga "lower unit cost". Knowing how honda price their cars.. I doubt it.

Low-cost Honda vehicles are motorcycles. Altough not every Honda motorcycle is actually unexpensive...

Honda CIVIC SUV