New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    While I was conversing with friends here and in the US, I can't help but notice about the relative WANT of the our American counterparts towards the JDM body design. They seem to drool over it especially when the Civic Type RR JDM was to be released there by 2010 but alas only 300 units.

Back in the Philippines there is also a sentiment on some quarters that Honda should have released the USDM version locally (since the Phil market follows closely with the US market in terms of Sedans). A lot of them have been dying for the USDM body!

I have an idea that the next MMC for Civic should make a SWAP of these body types between US and ASEAN markets. Not only would it look like an instant facelift, they practically wont need to do anything much.

Both markets will welcome the fresh looking body of an actually the same model. To me this sounds brilliant as it will boost Honda sales because some folks would want a fresh look -- and believe me seeing the JDM honda day after day can be a let down for potential buyers. But give the 2 bodies to choose from, then Honda will surely again dominate the PC sales.

And lets not forget that there is also a Euro version of the Civic FD.

The Civic FD USDM (Future ASEAN MMC)?

And The Civic JDM

The Euro Si Civic (Even the Accord doesn't look as Good as this one) Look at the side mirror styling :D Very Itialiano eh?

Mods, this is not a real comparo but a mere observation on how the markets reacted to these variants of the Civic FD

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I like the Euro Civic the best. Some people find it too much, but I like its high tech design.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I like the Euro Civic the best. Some people find it too much, but I like its high tech design.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I was actually hoping Honda realize that not all people are happy about the local JDM... I've already witnessed at least 5 people who shied away from the Civic and bought Mazda3s and Corollas instead because they hated the look and "butt" of the JDM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Well you can't please everyone...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Well you can't please everyone...
    Everyone wants what they haven't got...

But seriously, that's not such a bad idea (though personally I prefer the JDM look sold over here much more). It might not be quite as simple as just swapping, since both are locally assembled in the region where they are sold. And I doubt they can really just carry over the old designs come MMC time. But the idea is nice...

well, JDM has the much covet TYPE-R.. drool americans and europeans...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i think man's tendency to think the grass i always greener on the other side plays a part- i.e. what you can't/don't have always seem to be so much better. And that's what you pine for.

I've seen jazzes with the jazz metal emblem removed and replaced with "fit." I can't help but think- if they were called fit in the first place, these people would prolly remove the "fit" and put in a "jazz" hehehhe.
    Something like that.

For me, personally, i can get a new civic now (and i'm a real fan) but i'm not buying for reasons deeper than aesthetic considerations. Put the double wishbone back and i'll seriously think about parting with my trusty ek!

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    I personally prefer the JDM design. We are very fortunate to have it here in the Philippines. China was handed the USDM design, which imho is the lesser attractive of the two designs.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    JDM pa rin over the USDM. try to have similar color between the 2 pics above. sa bumper na lang hamak na mas pogi ang JDM, ala pang foglamp yan ah

early next year yan makikita na natin since nasa 3rd year na ang FD. parang yung 96 to 2000 lang yan eh, first 3 years VTi then 99-00 hayun lumabas ang kilabot na SiR hehe. same with the '01 to '05 VTI and VTi-S, after 3 years lumabas nung '04 yung facelifted na with separate hi and low headlamp.

sana lang ibalik nila yung 2.0S m/t. para naman yung mga nalampasan ng brand new SiR noon eeh magkaron pa ng isa pang pagkakataon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Honda Civic FD USDM vs JDM