New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My City 2003 has two radiator fans. The 2nd radiator fan on the left side (driver side) sometimes would not function. This result to inefficient aircon cooling on the cabin. Would normally the 2nd radiator fan should work when the aircon compressor kicks in? I only knew the problem when I ask a friend mechanic why the aircon is not cooling well. He checked the cooling fan while the aircon is on and we found that the other fan is not working....might be stucked up or whatever. He tried to tap lightly with a small hammer the cooling fan frame/assembly and the fan started to work. In this regard, may I ask your advice or opinion if there's really a need to replace the cooling fan assembly or it just needs cleaning or maybe there are other defects that contributed to its malfunctioning.

By the way, I also noticed one time that the said fan is rotating but at slower speed. If the fan motor needs to be replaced or relay, magkano kaya ang price nito sa casa and outside parts dealer? Thank you for any info you can share. Regards to all.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    most mechanical parts do fail. the fan has a bearing that probably isn't good anymore. a replacement is probably the best course.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by restituto View Post
    My City 2003 has two radiator fans. The 2nd radiator fan on the left side (driver side) sometimes would not function. This result to inefficient aircon cooling on the cabin. Would normally the 2nd radiator fan should work when the aircon compressor kicks in? I only knew the problem when I ask a friend mechanic why the aircon is not cooling well. He checked the cooling fan while the aircon is on and we found that the other fan is not working....might be stucked up or whatever. He tried to tap lightly with a small hammer the cooling fan frame/assembly and the fan started to work. In this regard, may I ask your advice or opinion if there's really a need to replace the cooling fan assembly or it just needs cleaning or maybe there are other defects that contributed to its malfunctioning.

By the way, I also noticed one time that the said fan is rotating but at slower speed. If the fan motor needs to be replaced or relay, magkano kaya ang price nito sa casa and outside parts dealer? Thank you for any info you can share. Regards to all.
    is that fan not functioning because it's kaput, or because the thermostat says not to?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is that fan not functioning because it's kaput, or because the thermostat says not to?
    The fan works but not normal. Just like the other day, I tried to switch-on the aircon and the fan did not start right away. I tried to tap fan frame with the handle of a screw driver several times until it slowly turns. I kept on tapping the frame until it runs at normal speed. Is the function of the relay is just to switch on and off the fan motor when the engine temperature rises at certain level that is set to activate? If the relay function is just to switch it ON and OFF, the rotation should be immediately at full speed upon start up. However, I observed occurrence of slow and won't start immediately. Can we conclude its the fan motor that is defective or the relay?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    replace the fan. if the construction of the honda city is the same as the crv (mine is 2004), the armature is only printed circuit board and gets worn out after some years and cannot be repaired. i have replaced my fan twice already.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by restituto View Post
    The fan works but not normal. Just like the other day, I tried to switch-on the aircon and the fan did not start right away. I tried to tap fan frame with the handle of a screw driver several times until it slowly turns. I kept on tapping the frame until it runs at normal speed. Is the function of the relay is just to switch on and off the fan motor when the engine temperature rises at certain level that is set to activate? If the relay function is just to switch it ON and OFF, the rotation should be immediately at full speed upon start up. However, I observed occurrence of slow and won't start immediately. Can we conclude its the fan motor that is defective or the relay?
    Most commonly turns out defective is the fan motor and not its relay.Honda City 2003 iDSI Radiator Fan

Sent from my UP+ using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thank you Sirs for the inputs.