New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    They never sold the Passport (Isuzu Rodeo) here, but they did sell the North American made 1st gen Pilot SUV here... it obviously didn't do well, I think I only saw 2 of them on the road.

Back in the 90's they tried to sell the luxurious 2nd gen Honda Legend here, later they tried to sell the 1st gen Honda Odyssey. These obviously didn't do well too.
    Oops. Meant the Pilot. USDM pala din yun?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Oops. Meant the Pilot. USDM pala din yun?
    Yup. Ang procedure niya for shipping (if I remember right) was from the factory sa Ontario, Canada then ship to Japan then dadating iyan sa atin..........

Anyways:
    I sat in a Pilot sa may dealer. Putsa sobrang boring nga ng vehicle. Seeing this kind of boredom could kill you :D.

*AG4/AM
    Well, looks can be subjective and depende yan sa opinion and perception ng tao. The KB1 seems to have a better design but the KB2 has a better engine (mas bago kasi ang J37 na makina).

Siguro it may look dated to you kasi the car was first launched in 2004 daw (so around this stage, dapat may new model/FMC by next year). Pero for me, I still like it hehe (though that's just my opinion).

Yun nga lang five-speed auto lang sya (which is okay pero for premium vehicles, dapat at least six-speed gearbox). Good news is that I heard a rumor na baka mag-launch sila ng six-speed for a final MMC before they release the all-new model so that's good kung ganun ang mangyayari.

Still, I believe na the best feature pa rin ng KB2 is still the SH-AWD drivetrain. I've heard many reviews from Europe and Australia and even in Japan and Taiwan na the handling is the best of any Honda-branded vehicle......and I believe I take their word for it so yun.

-------
    In any case

Yun nga Japanese yen is not working in the automakers favor (esp. those exporting units from Japan). Heck, even the government and Bank of Japan seems powerless to stop this currency fluctuation. I guess as said by many, it will be there for weeks and months to come.

STILL

I do firm believe na HCPI should have a Japan-made vehicle and be sold here in the Philippine market. Sa ngayon, sila lang ang wala. Other Japanese automakers have them from Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Suzuki, etc. Heck, lahat ata ng Subaru dito ay galing sa Gunma (except for the Tribeca ata).

So yun, IMHO, they should release a Japan-made vehicle dito sa bansa (kahit ISA MAN LANG). The above I mentioned earlier are some examples of Japan-made Honda vehicles that have LHD versions so they can be used in the country.

Especially with JPEPA phase#1 is in effect (i.e. phase#2 which covers 3000cc and below will take effect in 2012 ata)

Two centavos

P.S.
    *OTEP

I remember the HR-V tuloy. I think and suspect na one reason why it failed here is cause given the vehicle category it is, the version sold here only came with stick shift (which seemed to be a turn-off for most Pinoy drivers given na sobrang trapik dito sa bansa natin)

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    They have to study din naman carefully if those models will sell eh... Not a lot of Japan made cars sell well, mostly mga Thai made and Philippine made ang best sellers...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    They have to study din naman carefully if those models will sell eh... Not a lot of Japan made cars sell well, mostly mga Thai made and Philippine made ang best sellers...
    That's the big problem with the Pilot... it didn't really make sense to anybody... not the market research groups, not the industry insiders... nor the people at Honda. They sold it anyway... and it didn't sell. I think Nissan moved ten times as many Muranos... Mazda certainly sold loads more CX-9s...

-

Honda could sell a JDM car... if the market demands it. But they won't be able to sell anything at a competitive price except maybe the Legend... (JPEPA minimum displacement thing). And I doubt the Legend will sell.

-

The JDM thing may seem important to you, BlackRaven... but it really isn't. Just ask Toyota which cars it has trouble selling. Answer? The Previa and the RAV4. Both JDM. Both ridiculously expensive compared to the competition. Both selling slower than Chevrolet Suburbans.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The Legend will not sell for sure... Sa RP market Accord is good enough as an executive vehicle...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    The Legend will not sell for sure... Sa RP market Accord is good enough as an executive vehicle...
    Korek! Masyadong luma na ang Legend and na-tsugi na ang FR-V/Edix last year. Who knows, baka ma-tsugi na ang Legend soon.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The JDM thing may seem important to you, BlackRaven... but it really isn't. Just ask Toyota which cars it has trouble selling. Answer? The Previa and the RAV4. Both JDM. Both ridiculously expensive compared to the competition. Both selling slower than Chevrolet Suburbans.
    Maybe you have a point but IMHO, the Previa and the RAV4 sell quite well for Japan-made vehicles. The Previa for instance is doing quite well (despite being only available in 2.4 liter and with anemic four-speed auto). I've personally seen more than a hundred on Metro Manila roads already (yes as of my last count hehe)

Like I said, with regards to the Legend, it could be sold as a niche vehicle. It doesn't have to sell in mass droves either (since it's a niche vehicle after all). The CX-7 is an example of a Japan-made car that sells quite well.

All I'm saying or rather proposing is that, you can have models that are made locally and/or within the ASEAN region.......but IMHO, given that you are a Japanese automaker, you should always have at least one car that is from your country of origin.

If it's a showcase, then it could be a bread-and-butter model. Sometimes, it's good enough that it's just there.

That's just what I think. Anyways, we're free to share opinions on this hehe.

And no, I've seen less Chevrolet Subarbans in this country (given that it's bulky and boring; hence the typical American mammoth bulk vehicle)

P.S.
    Someone was right about the FR-V/Edix. They stopped making them last August to focus on the Fit/Jazz.

Legend might be ending production soon (current model). Iniisip ko na they might launch the six-speed auto gearbox before production ends or baka ilagay nila sa next-gen model. In any case, sana they launch the next-gen Honda Legend dito sa Pinas in the near future pero that's wishful thinking. :D.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Different markets. Down south, lots of people buy Suburbans and Expeditions.

I see quite a few Previas, granted, but then... they're ***ier than the frumpy (and slow selling) RAV4.

No problem... opinions are opinions. But there are good reasons for why Honda won't do it... and those reasons aren't about to change... not with the conservative manner in which Honda's current management is approaching marketing and sales.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Yep ang Honda very conservative in product introductions... Wala na silang new models for a long long time... Napaso na kasi sila sa Pilot...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]I agree with Blackraven[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Honda needs to bring some real competition dito sa Pinas.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Honda Legend and Honda Euro Accord are better than the Mazda 6.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]But you won't find one here...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Gusto ko talaga makita yung Honda Euro Accord or Legend.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Honda Cars Philippines: No Japan-made Honda available???