New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Guys need your expert advise regarding what bulb does our Honda City use (e.g H4 etc) for HID upgrade. Is it the same on the fog lamps? What K rating is recommended? Is it worth voiding the warranty?

What other mods is recommended?

I just got my 1.5e last week and I'm looking at upgrading to HID. I'm new to this since this is my 1st car.

Thanks in advance. All the best.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Leave it as it is.

Rationale:

a) Warranty & Reliability. Moving to an HID kit voids the electrical warranty. If the installer doesn't know what he's doing, then he's just screwing up the electricals on your brand new car - which could lead to problems a few years from now. Plus kung may ibang nasira na electricals, you may no longer be able to claim from the dealership. Take note that HID is not just the bulb. It will involve additional wire splicing since you need to install the ballast, etc. Once ni splice na yan ng mali, mahirap na ayusin. This is why I rarely touch the electronics on our cars.

b) Glare. Cheap HIDs are glare monsters. Pansinin mo yung mga Fortuner sa daan na naka HID, lalo kapag tinututukan ka sa likod. Sakit sa ulo diba? I'm sure that's "cool". Kapag ikaw na yun, magiging sakit ka lang ng ulo sa daan.

c) Bad illumination (related to b). The stock headlights are designed to be fitted with halogen bulbs and not HID bulbs. End result is that sabog yung buga nito, causing poor road illumination (Again, the example with the glare monsters on the roads). Plus, higher K rating bulbs are pretty useless when the weather turns bad. You end up barely seeing anything. Not nice to be driving at night in the rain. Nag bayad ka na for the HID, hindi naman pala upgrade. The 'porma' look isn't worth it in my opinion.

d) Other alternatives. There are non-HID halogen bulbs which give the "HID" look but don't have the drawbacks of b and c (because these are halogen bulbs). Just make sure to get ~4300K rating for the 'OEM look', or the ~3000k rating bulbs for the 'yellowish' look. Examples of these are the Philips XtremePower and the Osram Nightbreaker.

This is not to say that HID is bad. There are HID retrofits which also negates reasons b and c. But these are going to cost you, and you need a good installer (garyq dito sa tsikot comes to mind). (Expect price to be above PHP 15k+)

Other mod suggestions to help you spend your cash? Instead of HIDs, you can get:

+ OEM ducktail
    + OEM Modulo/Mugen front Grill (yung chrome bar type, if type mo)
    + OEM step sills
    + Horn upgrade. The City horns are dinky. Pati sa Civic namin ganun eh. Buy original Accord horns, then have it installed sa dealership
    Last edited by mda; May 31st, 2011 at 07:58 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hayaan mo na lang na halogen yan. Kung kailangan mo ng mas maliwanag na ilaw, try mo night breaker ng osram.

Marami maiinis na kasalubong mo.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *mda - Thanks for enlightening me.. I was blinded by eagerness to get an HID since this is my 1st brand new car and i want to dress it up. Now that i know the cons of getting an HID, i will definitely take your advice. Thanks for the time to explain and detailed information..

* robot-sonic and mda - Do you know where i can get the OSRAM Nightbreaker and how much it cost..

Its good to have guys like you to know about this stuff. A big help for newbies like me. Kudos to you guys.

All the best.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    FTW osram at philip sa banawe dami canvass ka alng no to HID

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Say no to those glaring HID...Be a responsible driver..

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aarondizon View Post
    Guys need your expert advise regarding what bulb does our Honda City use (e.g H4 etc) for HID upgrade. Is it the same on the fog lamps? What K rating is recommended? Is it worth voiding the warranty?

What other mods is recommended?

I just got my 1.5e last week and I'm looking at upgrading to HID. I'm new to this since this is my 1st car.

Thanks in advance. All the best.
    HUWAG ka na mag HID. malapit na ipagbawal yan mga aftermarket.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    You can find those sa mga autoshops.

If you're not comfortable with canvassing for the cheapest price sa banawe, you may want to try looking sa mga mall auto shops like Blade/Concorde etc. Not sure about the price.

Haven't really found the need to upgrade the lights on our cars yet hehe

Saka na yung ilaw. Ducktail perhaps? hehehe
    Last edited by mda; June 1st, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Or choose, bolt on projectors/retrofits. You can find a lot of sellers sa sulit.com.ph. Don't go the HID route. Been there and hindi talaga ok yung HID lang. You'll need projectors para walang glare sa incoming traffic.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Projector Retrofit for the City cost P18,000. Wrap around skirts na yan. I will go with the XtremePower na lang P2,000.

Saan po nakakahanap ng body colored ducktail? Medyo mahirap kasi yung color ng auto ko urban titanium. Nag try ako sa Banawe puro China ducktail nakita ko e.. Hindi maganda parang cheap plastic material yung ginamit..

TIA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
HID for Honda City 1.5e 2011