New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2009
    I need help.

When it rain or get a carwash, water enters the antenna mount (the black rubber/plastic that sticks to the body.

Do you know how to remove the antenna mount so that I can place some form of sealant to prevent water from entering?

TIA.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The part of the antenna that's protruding outside the vehicle usually have pinch holes so it can be unscrewed using a special tool (or maybe an angled long nose pliers) wherein you align the tips on the two holes to it can be unscrewed. You can also use traditional pliers or vice grip (with cloth padding so you won't scratch it) to remove it.

Do note that it's normal for some water to get into the antenna assembly. For that matter, the power antenna module has a drain hose going to the underneath and outside of the vehicle. Make sure that this hose is routed properly and that it is not clogged up. Any other source of water intrusion to the trunk compartment is not normal.

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The part of the antenna that's protruding outside the vehicle usually have pinch holes so it can be unscrewed using a special tool (or maybe an angled long nose pliers) wherein you align the tips on the two holes to it can be unscrewed. You can also use traditional pliers or vice grip (with cloth padding so you won't scratch it) to remove it.

Do note that it's normal for some water to get into the antenna assembly. For that matter, the power antenna module has a drain hose going to the underneath and outside of the vehicle. Make sure that this hose is routed properly and that it is not clogged up. Any other source of water intrusion to the trunk compartment is not normal.
    Thanks for the reply.

I found water on the compartment where the spare tire is placed. I traced the water and it came from the antenna. Will check on the drain hose later.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Checked the antenna drain hose and it is ok. The problem is, water enters on the black portion of the antenna, don't know what it's called. Here's the picture:

Do you guys know how I can remove the black rubber part of the antenna so that I can put some silicon sealant to prevent water from entering the gap between the body?

I also noticed that water enters on the vent on the rear bumper.

Or, is there a shop where I can have the antenna and the vent sealed?

Thanks!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That's simple enough for a DIY. It appears that in time, the rubber fitting shrunk due to exposure and somehow allowed a tiny bit of space between it and the car's body for water to go through. This can be easily fixed.

On the antenna, you can see the two notches on the "ring" between the antenna head and rubber fitting. You turn that ring counter-clockwise using a suitable tool or long-nose pliers. Once removed, you can lift up the rubber and apply sealant along its inner edges. Use silicone sealant.

For the breather vent, try to pry it off and apply sealant around it. The bumper needs to come off first if it's installed from the outside.

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That's simple enough for a DIY. It appears that in time, the rubber fitting shrunk due to exposure and somehow allowed a tiny bit of space between it and the car's body for water to go through. This can be easily fixed.

On the antenna, you can see the two notches on the "ring" between the antenna head and rubber fitting. You turn that ring counter-clockwise using a suitable tool or long-nose pliers. Once removed, you can lift up the rubber and apply sealant along its inner edges. Use silicone sealant.

For the breather vent, try to pry it off and apply sealant around it. The bumper needs to come off first if it's installed from the outside.
    Many Thanks! You're really of great help.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    aside from the vent/breather, you may also want to check the rubber gasket/sealant integrity of your tail light. try pouring water[or hose it through] over your antenna and tail light area. this way you can visually check where the water is seeping thru...

Help: Water entering in antenna of 96 VTi