New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    May question ako, yung city ko is idsi engine, and I started hearing the "tope" when pressing the accelerator pedal after a full tank of Petron Unleaded near sa work ko. Sa dati kong kotse na Toyota gli 1.6, very common ang tope pati sa gas engine Toyota revo...and now naramdaman ko ito sa idsi. Do you guys experience this in your idsi? Eto yung tunog na kapag umaandar ka while pressing the gas derecho padiin may madidinig kang parang "kalansing noise or yung parang tunong ng cadena ng bike", at obvious it is coming from the engine, kapag binatawan mo ang gas pedal mawawala ito.

Tope daw ang tawag dito sabi nung iba, nung niresearch ko sa google, it is called detonation or engine knocking....

Please give me inputs if you experienced the same thing and please recommend me a solution na rin po...many thanks....

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    On your next trip to the gas station try to use fuel that has a higher octane rating (95 octane and up). Using fuel that has a rating of 93 or below may be the cause of engine knock.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    mga sirs- very usual yang fuel knock sa revo o sa toyota. that happens when you are using a a 93 octane rating (Uusually- asi have observed nung gumagamit ako ng unleaded). pero nung nagpalit ako sa premium, nawal ng bhagya. after sometime bumalik, kaya sabi ng casa ng kailangan na palitan fuel filter, which i did. Nawala nga yung knock pero i did not go back using unleaded anymore. from thereon, di na gaano nagfu-fuel knock.....tumotonog nga lang pag masyado madiin ang pag-apak sa accelerator, kaya medyo alalay lang talaga. Anyway my Revo was a 10 year old car and i have just sold it lately.

Pinalit ko city na 1.3S m/t. di ko pa naman na e-experience yung fuel knock sa honda. actually it is my first time to drive a honday car. so far so good.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hello MM,

The knocking in the engine is caused by timing incompatibility. That means that the fuel you used is not set to the timing of your engine. The "knock" sound is the premature combustion. These happen when your car was normally set at a fuel with a lower octane rating ex 90, then you used 95, more likely it will "knock"... the solution, is to slightly delay your timing by a few degrees to prevent knocking. But then when you switch back yo a lower octane fuel, you will feel less torque on higher rpm...so in effect low power.

The way to optimize you engine is to set the timing, in the borderline of the "knock" section...that will balance the power between your low rpm launch, and your high rpm cruising.

I hope this helped.

OC plus racing - BEN

Help! Question about detonation/engine knocking aka "tope"