New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post

Again, I reiterate, take a look at the videos. More notable, these ones:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=k3ygYUYia9I"]YouTube - Fifth Gear Crash-test Volvo 940 estate vs Renault Modus[/ame]

I missed watching these videos before because I thought it was a video of the wrestler Mick Foley (Cactus Jack, Dude, Mankind...) which I thought you
    added to your signature. They are enlightening videos indeed. I can see your points now. Anyway. For best passenger protection, what cars of any brands do you recommend with budget of 1 million... SUV and Sedan ok as long as it is fuel friendly and has the occupant safety factor?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Hope there are videos out there of CRV-like vehicle colliding with Jazz-like vehicle.

Watch the second video I posted.

The larger momentum and larger body surface area of the CRV would translate to more superior impact points such that the Jazz passengers would suffer more damage than the occupants of the CRV. Agree?

Depends. Are both traveling at the same rate of speed? Is it a head-on collision, or a side impact? Angled impacts perhaps? Full frontal or 40% offset front impact?

Let's just settle on this basic point muna that the CRV is safer than the Jazz in a head-on collision? Disagree?

Full frontal or 40% offset collision?

Full frontal, maybe so with the frame of the CRV overriding the safety features of the Jazz. In a 40% offset collision that may be a different story, since the same amount of energy is focused on each side of the crumple zone, thereby increasing the load on each front chassis rail.

Then you have to consider: Will the doors open after the collision? Is there cabin intrusion? Did the pedals move backwards? Did the steering column collapse as designed? Did any of the windows break, resulting in glass shards? Even if the airbag deployed, were they sufficient to protect the passengers from hitting their face on the steering wheel?

What's the context of this "CRV overriding the safety features of the Jazz"... does it imply that the CRV will over ride above the Jazz lower body frame crushing the occupants on the windshield? What's "safety features" of the Jazz? Is it soley the airbags?

Also what's "40% offset collision"? About the Jazz, Is the Jazz specially design for collision and better than the City or Civic? What do you think?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    What's the context of this "CRV overriding the safety features of the Jazz"... does it imply that the CRV will over ride above the Jazz lower body frame crushing the occupants on the windshield?

It means the CRV's frame rails will override those on the Jazz, and if you watched the videos closely you'll realize that the lower car will suffer more, because instead of the two crumple zones collapsing laterally, one will ride over the other.

Also what's "40% offset collision"? About the Jazz, Is the Jazz specially design for collision and better than the City or Civic? What do you think?

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/frontal_test_info.html

If you really want to learn, you have to do your homework if you want this done properly. Grab hold of the latest car magazines, see which cars fit your budget, check out their crash test ratings online, do a search on crash test terminologies, see which ones are most fuel efficient, pick your top ten or something, then narrow it down with a test drive.

Nah, just keep the CRV. Let's keep things simple

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Front & Side Crush Zones