New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's more than just choosing a quality fluid. More importantly, it should be the right type.

It's been discussed in numerous forums that Honda's AT transmissions and hydraulic power steering systems are picky. On PSF, people say that Hondas operate their power steering at a very high pressure (http://hondacivicstation.org/part-ho...id-550002.html) and using a fluid that's not designed for it will cause seals to break, among others.

As for AT. Honda's AT uses sliding gears on parallel axes and is very similar in operation to a MT. On the other hand, most conventional AT use planetary gears. (link: Automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I won't deny the fact that there will be compatible fluids out there that will work with Hondas. However, it's going to be a hit or miss. A lot of people have used "compatible with Honda" fluids that ends up with a horror story. For a lot, taking a chance is out of the question. AT or PS repair is so expensive while the Honda fluids reatively inexpensive that it's almost a no-brainer to just use the right stuff.

Consider that you're only going to replace these fluids every couple of years. What's wrong with spending a few more hundred bucks for peace of mind?
    I have been not using OEM for a long years now on my older CRV, both PSF and ATF...never nag leak both system...

and I just talked to a Honda SA last thursday when I had mg change oil, and asked him about this thing and her said its not true unless low grade than OEM ang gagamitin.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I have been not using OEM for a long years now on my older CRV, both PSF and ATF...never nag leak both system...

and I just talked to a Honda SA last thursday when I had mg change oil, and asked him about this thing and her said its not true unless low grade than OEM ang gagamitin.
    I wouldn't trust everything what the SA says. They form their own opinions and what he says: a) doesn't always reflect their company's position on the matter, and b) they're the same guys who denies warranty on cars not using OEM fluids.

Like I said, it's a hit or miss. You're lucky you didn't end up with the bunch of other guys who failed in their attempts to save some loose change.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But what i replaced with is more expensive than OEM, as I've said replacement should be at par or better than OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    But what i replaced with is more expensive than OEM, as I've said replacement should be at par or better than OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess I wasn't clear enough. Fluid Quality and Type are two different things. A fluid can be of excellent quality, but if it's of the wrong type for it's intended function, it's poison to the components.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Definitely, fluids of diffferent type will wreck havoc in any system. Like putting ATF on power steering system...

What I'm trying to say its ok to put non OEM fluids to Hondas as long as quality is at par or better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Definitely, fluids of diffferent type will wreck havoc in any system. Like putting ATF on power steering system...

What I'm trying to say its ok to put non OEM fluids to Hondas as long as quality is at par or better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Refering to ATF Type... ie. Mercon, Dexron, SP-III, ATF+4, ATF-Z1/DW1, etc. and all their subs.

Each manufacturer has specific ATF requirements. Incorrect transmission fluid may result in transmission malfunction or severe damage.
    Ref: Automatic transmission fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Each manufacturer has specific ATF requirements. Incorrect transmission fluid may result in transmission malfunction or severe damage.

Keyword " may result " ...It means they are not even so sure about it

I've been using non-honda fluids for my power steering (im using petron's ATF), Brake fluid (prestone), clutch fluid (prestone), radiator coolant (coolant lang na walang brand, green color) and synthetic oil (Idemitsu, ito daw OEM ng Honda di umano). so far nothing weird had happened nor is happening...and nope, im not talking about months of usage, im talking about years (more than 2 years).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
which fluids for Civic '05 VTI