New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    guys, kakachange-oil lang po nung 99lxi a/t
    from fully synth Red Line to fully synth Royal purple.

now my prob is may naririnig akong weird sound coming from the engine when im inside the cabin (driving). the closest sound which i could describe you is parang bubbling/boiling, im not really sure. could this be the "knocking sound"?

i need some piece of advice.
    thank you.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Buksan mo hood ng makina pakingan mo kung sa Valve cover nanggagaling ang tunog. Kung chain type makina mo kadalasan sa Timing chain ang umiingay.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    first thing: open the hood and see the dip stick if the oil level is too low or too high. if too low, see if there's an oil leak somewhere... if too high, you need to remove some.

btw, what oil rating did you put in? you should be using either 5W-20 or 5W-30. you will think this oil is too thin, but that's what your engine needs. too thick will make your engine struggle.

second: did you had your spark plugs replaced? if so, make sure they are torqued correctly. also check if the tension wires are tightly secured and/or connected to the correct plug.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    maybe its not from the engine. maybe it's from the wheels, transmission or suspension? do you hear it while idling?

kung tope yan (takatakatak) yung tunog, i suggest you switch to higher octane gas muna and see if it goes away. i'm pretty sure your throttle body is dirty na, maybe time to have than checked.

worse case scenario: oil starvation. your oil pump stopped working now your engine is running dry inside. that problem also causes weird sounds na hindi tunog katok.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    thanks sir speed and sir LNopal

*volts, sir pag stationary i dont hear the sound pero pag naandar (moving) dinig na talaga. i tried switching to blaze100 pero andun pa rin. wala naman dati yung annoying sound before having the oil changed. nung saturday ako nagpachange-oil, ngayon (monday) medyo lumakas yung noise, parang may maluwag na parang naguumpugang plastic or metal im not really sure which.

what could have gone wrong? mali paglagay nila oil filter/forgot to torque something up?

ps i had the throttle body cleaned not too long ago

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the only experience i've had with weird engine noise are, yung nga, engine oil starvation (pajero 1996 after rebuild oil pump failure, lakas ng tok tok tok habang break in yun pala walang oil na pumapanik sa taas. tech had to rebuild again) a stuck fuel injector (a stuck fuel injector may also produce a weird sound and you can hear it while accelerating or at wot), and tope (pinging, detonation of fuel).

it gets stuck due to dirt.

since you don't hear it at idle, it may be a power delivery issue. things to check here are throttle body, the belt idler bearings, maybe even the timing belt assembly. or the bearings of the alternator or compressor. these things get more stress while you step on the gas to move so the sound is reproduced at tumatagos sa loob ng cabin.

best thing to do would be to take a stethoscope and put it at the valve rocker cover if only to make sure the sound isnt coming from the valvetrain.

switching oil brands won't normally cause your engine to just become noisy. my experience pa nga is that the thcker the oil you put in, the more it's supposed to be quiet. switching between grades or types shouldn't produce weird sounds.
    Last edited by voltscastillo; February 1st, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    did you have the valve clearance modified? pag maluwag ang vc, maingay ang makina. too tight will have the quiet engine but will burn the valves altogethere. loose valve clearance will have a knocking sound (kinda)...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by micvel View Post
    thanks sir speed and sir LNopal

*volts, sir pag stationary i dont hear the sound pero pag naandar (moving) dinig na talaga. i tried switching to blaze100 pero andun pa rin. wala naman dati yung annoying sound before having the oil changed. nung saturday ako nagpachange-oil, ngayon (monday) medyo lumakas yung noise, parang may maluwag na parang naguumpugang plastic or metal im not really sure which.

what could have gone wrong? mali paglagay nila oil filter/forgot to torque something up?

ps i had the throttle body cleaned not too long ago

the loose plastic sound might be a splash shield, heat shield or an air foil under the car around the oil pan. check for looseness.

engine noise after an oil change (help)