New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    I'm thinking of doing some modifications on the stock engine of my Honda City Type Z 1500 MT. Can anyone help me out? Suggestions and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by <smash> View Post
    I'm thinking of doing some modifications on the stock engine of my Honda City Type Z 1500 MT. Can anyone help me out? Suggestions and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
    What is your working budget? And are you fine to have increased fuel consumption for more power?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    What is your working budget? And are you fine to have increased fuel consumption for more power?
    As of now no set budget yet. I'm open to your suggestion if any then I can consider the budget after. I just want to be able to keep in toe with cars of higher classes. I want my city to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing" so to speak.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Maybe a question that I need to be answered now is this. Is the Honda City Type Z 1500 MT worth spending on the modifications? From what I know ( which is very limited ) this engine is a good one.

Please enlighten me. Thanks again

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    As of now no set budget yet. I'm open to your suggestion if any then I can consider the budget after. I just want to be able to keep in toe with cars of higher classes. I want my city to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing" so to speak.
    Kung sa ngayon wala ka pang budget kung may kakilala kang mekaniko pa tune mo ng maigi ang timing ng distributor ng makina mo . Kahit paano may lakas na ibibigay iyan pagapak mo ng gas ,Agresibo makina mo na walang pinapalitan ng iba.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe a question that I need to be answered now is this. Is the Honda City Type Z 1500 MT worth spending on the modifications? From what I know ( which is very limited ) this engine is a good one.

I do think it's possible to tune this engine (without resorting to turbos) to gain a bit more power but you are looking at a potential cost of at least P25,000 to P50,000 on the engine related mods alone.

Going for normally aspirated modified engine, that would include headers, intake, & exhaust works. To tune the engine's performance, either a V-AFC (vtec-airflow controller) or a piggyback ecu is recommended. You will also need some dyno tuning time (at P4000 to P5000 per hour) to get the best power from your mods. While on the dyno, you can also have the ignition timing advanced for more power.

You can contact SPEEDLAB and ask Ferman on his opinion & experience on the potentials of your engine. http://www.speedlab.com.ph/contact.php

If you have more budget to spend, you can go for a turbo upgrade. That would add 30 to 50hp on your current engine's output. The budget you would need would be anywhere from P120,000 to P200,000 depending on your preferred list of parts (including new or surplus turbocharger).

One notch down from a turbo upgrade is a nitrous-oxide system. This can give you the power & punch of a turbo for a limited time and lower cost. This setup would go for between P60,000 to P120,000 depending on kit type and if new or used.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

As speed_unlimited has suggested, you can have a trusted mechanic advance your engine's ignition timing by a few degrees (one or two at a time). This will potentially increase the engine's performance at the cost of increasing the fuel consumption and potential of engine knocking.

If your engine starts to "knock" (sounds like rocks in a tin-can), you just reduce the ignition timing advance by one or two degrees OR use gasoline of higher octane gasoline (like Shell V-Power or Petron Blaze).

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    for me:

a. budget of 50k.. IHE upgrade + suspension OR change head from a d15b 20 cams and ecu

b. budget of 100k... slap a b16a + suspension

c. budget of 150k - 200k... slap a b18c + suspension

for me pinakasulit option b and c. pagsaksak, game na kagad for power.
    Last edited by archie123456789; December 6th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    for me:

a. budget of 50k.. IHE upgrade + suspension

b. budget of 100k... slap a b16a + suspension

c. budget of 150k - 200k... slap a b18c + suspension

for me pinakasulit option b and c. pagsaksak, game na kagad for power.

The thread started just wanted a bit more power from his existing engine. So I would think engine swaps would be out of the question.

Also, if an engine swap is to be done, a lot of prep work will be needed, especially the engine mounts that needed to be moved. The area where it will be re-welded to will need reinforcement. If not, the sheet metal will tear off.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Kung sa ngayon wala ka pang budget kung may kakilala kang mekaniko pa tune mo ng maigi ang timing ng distributor ng makina mo . Kahit paano may lakas na ibibigay iyan pagapak mo ng gas ,Agresibo makina mo na walang pinapalitan ng iba.
    Just to clarify sir, what I meant was I have no idea on the budget. But thank you for your suggestion This I think is the first thing that I should do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Engine Mods for Honda City Type Z