New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Sir just want to ask halimbawa po bigla nawala yu preno ko using automatic car what is the best thing to do ku speed ko about 60 to 80 klm/hr... Ano po dapat gawin....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Shift the A/T to 1 or L and use the engine to slow down the car.

Once at a slower speed, shift to neutral & use the hand brake to stop the car.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 14th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    na-experienced ko na rin ito brader. i did what GH said except for the hand brake. i was driving a 4x4 pickup then so medyo nag-alangan din ako na mag-hand break kase sa bigat nung sasakyan, baka mapatid yung cable ng hb. so what i did, when i reached a slower speed, was to find the nearest available gutter (bangketa). then, unti-unti kong ginitgit yung gutter making my tyres feel the friction enough to stop the car after a few tries. i was able to do that kase the rubber in the pickup was wider than the height of the gutter so di na-damage yung rims ko.

best really is to know your car well so you can have better judgement on how to control it in times like these.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Shift the A/T to 1 or L and use the engine to slow down the car.

Once at a slower speed, shift to neutral & use the hand brake to stop the car.

sir GH ku sakali po na medyu alanganin napo yu distance kailangan napo talaga mag stop dahil may tatamaan ano po maganda gawin...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by civickers View Post
    sir GH ku sakali po na medyu alanganin napo yu distance kailangan napo talaga mag stop dahil may tatamaan ano po maganda gawin...
    in my opinion, banggain mo yung walang tao. para ikaw lang ang masasaktan. now, if you don't have a choice like that, or you don't have time to do anything else, then there's no point in suggesting anything else. so pray! heh heh.
    unless you have an anchor and chain that you can throw out of the car..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by civickers View Post
    No choice, but to choose the least damage you would do on impact and then brace yourself for the crash.

Make sure to do your best to avoid people on the street if/when you crash.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It's situations like these that you need to have a working emergency brake (aka. e-brake, parking brake, etc.). Using it together with progressively shifting to a lower gear and the presence of mind to orchestrate the maneuver, you can pretty much prevent damage to property or loss of life in most cases.

Another factor to consider is your distance to the car in front. The above procedure becomes far less effective if you're a tailgater.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. If you're a cautious driver and leave lots of room to the cars in front, that improves your chances of surviving a brake failure.

Once experienced a busted brake line at (insert silly speed that isn't quite twice the speed limit here)... but since I was braking very early, I was able to downshift (while holding one foot steady on the brakes) and use the e-brake to slow down in time.

Sometimes when you lose braking, what yo actually lose is pressure in the lines... pumping the pedal builds up pressure in the lines. They don't suggest this for ABS cars, but that's bull... I've done it on ABS cars and it helps if your fluid is boiling (you're not supposed to pump ABS brakes to prevent lock-up... not to prevent fluid failure!).

It also helps if you can recognize the signs that your brakes are going south... the pedal getting deeper as fluid boils... screeching... the brake lights staying on... etcetera.

-

If all else fails, and you have no safe place to run off onto... shove the transmission into the lowest gear possible (or reverse... but some ATs won't engage reverse when in motion and all you'll do is rip the teeth out) and pray. It'll destroy your transmission... but it might save lives.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Isadsad mo rin ang gulong mo sa may bangketa.....

10.8K:lalala:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Isadsad mo rin ang gulong mo sa may bangketa.....
    At 60-80kph, you'd probably jump the curb and end up on the opposite lane or maybe even hit a pedestrian in the process.

Emergency; lost brakes, what to do?