New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mreyes View Post
    pag m/t, pwede ito.

pag a/t, alam ko hindi ito pwede...mabilis ka tapos lalagay mo from "D" to "N"? correct me sirs if im wrong.
    Going from D to N while coasting won't damage your A/T. But putting it back to D from N while still moving at a certain speed could.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This practice is illegal in other markets for safety reasons.

It was also illegal and clearly marked by signs in the Clark and Subic when they were still used as military bases.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    yup coasting saves fuel. pero importanteng may foresight. if you do it, just make sure that you will not need to suddenly accelerate to avoid something or someone. sample siguro kung malayo palang nakita mo nang stop yung stoplight sa intersection, nearing a queue sa tollbooth, etc. never do it while negotiating a steep downhill or long stretches of descent. best to use engine braking.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Depending on the car and situation, you may even save more fuel if you keep it in gear while coasting.

When engine management detects that you took your foot off the gas pedal and you're going at a fast enough speed, the injectors stop feeding fuel into the cylinders, allowing the car's momentum to keep the engine at above idle. Once it goes down to a certain RPM, the injectors fire right back up to keep the engine from stalling. This is done so smoothly and efficiently that you'll probably won't feel the transition. You'll likely need to have a trip computer or digital gauge plugged into the OBDII port to show you how much fuel is being injected at any point in time.
    I also agree with this; coasting while in gear (i.e. when slowing down, going downhill). I noticed this with my LPG where i hear the injector feed click on and off. It clicks off (and still doesnt shift back to gas mode) when i'm decelerating or coasting with my car in gear and not stepping on the gas. Once i shift to neutral or the car hits a certain, low RPM, the injector feed clicks on again. When i shifted to this practice (keeping the car in gear and not at neutral when coasting), my FC actually improved by an additional .5 to 1km/L on the Altis.

Another is with the vacuum gauge GH posted before, (borrowed the pic GH posted), the point with high manifold vacuum pressure is when the car is decelerating and not at idle.

Coasting at neutral, especially if you're going downhill isn't safe. There's lower brake assist, no engine braking, and the vehicle balance is... not balanced (its like steering a grocery cart down a ramp). Plus if there's an emergency and you have to accelerate, it takes more time to power out as you have to shift back into gear.
    Last edited by vinj; January 25th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Trading safety for fuel economy is very stupid. Stupid idea, that is what I think...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    too risky....very tough to decide where to shift your gear once you are in emergency situation.....

2 words: ENGINE BRAKE.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    i always do this.especially sa carpark sa mga mall pag pababa nako.pero para lang hindi mangawit paa ko sa clutch.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    as far as I know, this is not recommended, especially in A/T cars.

nagcocoast naman yung mga A/T if you stop pressing on the gas

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuebe Siete View Post
    i always do this.especially sa carpark sa mga mall pag pababa nako.pero para lang hindi mangawit paa ko sa clutch.
    That's kind of a moot point. Instead, put it in low gear and release the clutch pedal. Same thing... but safer.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Engaging your angel gear (neutral) puts you nearer to the doors of hell....

12K:boom:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
cruising in neutral. share your opinions.