New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    help mga bro!

do you think a corroded radiator will make the water overflow?

may singaw na kasi ang rad ko, basag na ang plastic radiator top. what i did for the meantime is to put gladiator sealant on the cracked plastic top. since maliit lang naman ang butas it stopped the leak. i will replace my radiator top and have my radiator overhauled next next week. temporary fix lang yung ginawa ko but it worked, wala nang leak.

i noticed that the inside fins of my rad is already corroded, tingin ko nde na nagfoflow ng maayos yung tubig inside the radiator that's why it is scheduled for overhaul and change top to metal or brass.

last night i removed my radiator cap and start the engine. i can see bubbles pero onting onti lang, interval is 1 minute or so tpos pa isa isa pa. i also noticed habang tumatagal umaangat yung tubig tothe neck of the radiator and is overflowing inch by inch. i think this is not normal.

i eliminated the idea of having a blown gasket eventhough i have bubbles and rad is overflowing. it is because:

1. no power loss
    2. no sweet smell on the exhaust
    3. no oil / water mixture in the radiator or in the dipstick
    4. no oil / water mixture in the ATF cooler (A/T kasi ESI ko)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Medyo late reply na hehe

Anyway this also happened to me.

I had my radiator repaired but to no avail. Radiator repair kits such as mga parang epoxy is not a permanent fix. This is temporary buy you some time to have it repaired. The plastic tank gets weaker and brittle upon time. The pressure might find other weak spots to cause another opening.

Yan ang hirap sa plastic.

I changed mine to evercool got it at around 5,800 but I think I like the plastic better. Nagka leak ako after a year kaagad then pina hinang ko uli.

As for the bubbles alam ko pag may tama ang head gasket "bumubulwak" meron sudden gush of big air pocket to cause large amount of water to spill out. Small bubbles is normal but bleed it well.

After a few months I had my oil seals checked and found out my cylnder head gasket is due for replacement. We did not know this when I had my radiator replaced. I think this caused a high pressure and caused another leak.

In the future I am planning to go back to plastic. I want to buy replacement plastic or have my old one repaired by changing the upper tank. My hessitation lang if I had my upper tank repaired baka bumigay na ang lower tank.

Any views on this?

corroded radiator