New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2019
    From what I have gathered so far:

P shifting into N/R/D/S/L : Step on the brakes, press the shift button, then shift the lever

R shifting into D/S/L: Come to a full stop (Step on the brakes), press the shift button, then shift the lever

D/S/L shifting into R: Come to a full stop (Step on the brakes), press the shift button, then shift the lever

D shifting into S/L: Press the shift button, then shift the lever

S/L shifting in D: Just shift the lever.

What I find confusing is when shifting from D to S/L when going uphill or downhill, like mall parking lots that are a bit steep like Megamall, or Shangrila mall, or going uphill/downhill between lower Taal lake and upper Tagaytay.

For example, I'm coming from D, and I notice that the engine is having a hard time the first 10% of the incline, can I switch to S or L while I'm still stepping on the gas? Or should I let go of the gas, brake first, and then shift to S/L? Same question for downhill, and I want a bit of engine braking.

I wouldn't want to break a brand new CVT due to my ignorance.

Coming from a manual, I'm utterly confused. I wish there was some sort of simple rule of thumb like always be in a complete stop, foot on the brakes, before shifting to any position from any position. (No idea if this is actually how it's supposed to be)

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I think matics have the same concept with manuals. So long as same direction, you can shift anytime.
    While full stop is required when you change directions.

Spare a few minutes for this video, specific to your CVT concern - 5 Things You Should Never Do In A CVT Vehicle - YouTube

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i just put it in D, whatever forward driving situation there is.
    in 99+ % of the time, the car makes the right decision for me.

if i can't shift the stick, it's probably because i have not satisfied the safety conditions that the car wants me to do first.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    kung mall parking lots walang problema sa Honda CVT kahit naka D lang.

The only time I used S is sa Tagaytay Highlands and yung isang stretch sa Kennon Road..

Just release the gas, and shift to S or L, no need to step on the brake.. you can try it sa highway..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    read the owners manual if you havent. theres a section regarding the transmission

6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fil Trans View Post
    From what I have gathered so far:

P shifting into N/R/D/S/L : Step on the brakes, press the shift button, then shift the lever

R shifting into D/S/L: Come to a full stop (Step on the brakes), press the shift button, then shift the lever

D/S/L shifting into R: Come to a full stop (Step on the brakes), press the shift button, then shift the lever

D shifting into S/L: Press the shift button, then shift the lever

S/L shifting in D: Just shift the lever.

What I find confusing is when shifting from D to S/L when going uphill or downhill, like mall parking lots that are a bit steep like Megamall, or Shangrila mall, or going uphill/downhill between lower Taal lake and upper Tagaytay.

For example, I'm coming from D, and I notice that the engine is having a hard time the first 10% of the incline, can I switch to S or L while I'm still stepping on the gas? Or should I let go of the gas, brake first, and then shift to S/L? Same question for downhill, and I want a bit of engine braking.

I wouldn't want to break a brand new CVT due to my ignorance.

Coming from a manual, I'm utterly confused. I wish there was some sort of simple rule of thumb like always be in a complete stop, foot on the brakes, before shifting to any position from any position. (No idea if this is actually how it's supposed to be)
    From P to D or D to P - foot on the brake
    From P to R or R to P - foot on the brake
    From D to R - foot on the brake
    From R to D - just gently pull the lever to the D position
    From D to S/L or S/L to D - just gently pull the lever vice versa. No need to press the brake pedal.

Just like what Dr. D have said, just leave it in D position and it’ll take good care of itself. The only time I slot it in to L is when i’am going downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by polar01 View Post
    From P to D or D to P - foot on the brake
    From P to R or R to P - foot on the brake
    From D to R - foot on the brake
    From R to D - just gently pull the lever to the D position
    From D to S/L or S/L to D - just gently pull the lever vice versa. No need to press the brake pedal.

Just like what Dr. D have said, just leave it in D position and it’ll take good care of itself. The only time I slot it in to L is when i’am going downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    use the brakes.. magkano ang brake pads versus a transmission replacement.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    The only time that does not call for the brakes is from D to S (Drive to Sport mode) and vice-versa No need for the shift button neither.

Occasionally useful during cruising.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Please do not make it overly complicated.

Just put it to "D",- it will do the math for you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast