New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    hi folks. can you help me identify what's causing the clicking sound on a '05 civic 'matic?

I'm hearing a clicking sound in the cabin when doing a very very light step on the breaks when the car is on "park". I think the sound is coming from below the gear shift (if i'm pinpointing it correctly). It's not noticeable since the clicking sound is very soft and i don't normally just very lightly step on the breaks since we usually just step on the breaks all the way through.

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It's the A/T interlock solenoid. For safety reasons, the interlock mechanism prevents you from shifting out of Park without applying the brakes. What you hear is the interlock solenoid unlocking the shift lever when you step on the brake pedal and locking the shift lever again when you release the pedal.

Suffice to say, that's normal.

The interlock system relies on the brake light switch (installed on the brake pedal assembly) to operate properly. If you suddenly cannot shift out of Park even with the brakes applied, check the brake light switch.
    Last edited by oj88; April 6th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's the A/T interlock solenoid. For safety reasons, the interlock mechanism prevents you from shifting out of Park without applying the brakes. What you hear is the interlock solenoid unlocking the shift lever when you step on the brake pedal and locking the shift lever again when you release the pedal.

Suffice to say, that's normal.

The interlock system relies on the brake light switch (installed on the brake pedal assembly) to operate properly. If you suddenly cannot shift out of Park even with the brakes applied, check the brake light switch.
    That makes sense. thanks.

Click sound on light step on break