New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    BTW, if you'd ask me, i'd rather buy a SiR than a 7th gen... :D both sell for the same price, minsan nga mas mahal pa ang SiR kahit mas luma... ;)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ipon ka na lang ng konti for the 8th gen. Grabe mga raves tungkol sa car na ito. Breaking the 1MIL nga lang for an economy compact sedan. Marami naman nagsasabi na worth it.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    ipon ka na lang ng konti for the 8th gen. Grabe mga raves tungkol sa car na ito. Breaking the 1MIL nga lang for an economy compact sedan. Marami naman nagsasabi na worth it.
    naku sir laki ng difference ng 2002 civic sa current! :D
    2002 VTi sells for around 400k on average. I got my 1.8V a/t for 802k plus reg, insurance etc...

SiR sells roughly 400k for a fresh unit. Atleast with the SiR ag reklamo lang talaga is sobrang tulin! :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Emong3 View Post
    One big factor that made me dislike the 7th gen is the use of mc pherson struts. The 7th gen a.k.a. dimension civic was built to be a sporty family car. Higher stance, roomy interior, bigger trunk space and ergonomically designed. Before I bought the 8th gen, the 7th gen was my family car, and for long road trips. The car is very comfortable to drive. the seats are high para ka namamaneho ng tamaraw FX! :D

I'm not discouraging you to buy this car but I jsut want you to know the common deffects. Ok yan atleast you know what to expect. Hindi yung pag bili mo magugulat ka nalang sa mga sira ng oto mo. ;)
    Ditto on this, the size and set-up of the ES is what made me choose this over the Altis as I felt it was well-suited for a family and personal daily driver; it had better space (for my size, as the Altis drivers seat full-rearward adjustment was rather limited) and driving feel (albeit definitely not like the EK/6th gen).

In the end, the decision is yours... test drive. As aforementioned, knowing the problems is a plus as you know what to do with the car and check on it.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Weird. I'm really surprised. We had both the 1996 Civic and two units of the 2000/2002 Civics. Other than the front suspension and fuel tank band which they fixed without hassle, we never had a problem with any of the other reported problems.

I mean yung 2000 model namin was sold recently lang after 7 years -- kung may systemic defect yun I imagine it should've manifested, right? Kung masira naman yung parts na yun after 6 years parang hindi na siya factory defect 'di ba?

Do you think they fixed it without telling us at the service thing? Or am I just really lucky?

My sis, OTH has a 2004 Corolla whose A/C broke down and they had to pay 5 figures for it (kasi daw hindi casa-maintained).

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    pup2, 2000 civic is still the EK chassis. No problem with that model ;)
    The ones with many problems is the 7th gen, 2001-2005.

Kung regularly maintained ng casa yan maaring ginawa w/o you knowing it. Kasi pag dumaan sa quality control nila yung car mo at bigla nagpa kita ng sign na related dun sa mga common deffect di nila irerelease ang car kung under warranty pa. gagawin nila yun.

... otherwise you just got lucky maybe... :D

samin sa club7thgen halos parepareho kami ng notes pagdating sa mga deffect. Most common is yung idle drop sa m/t and yung front suspension for all models

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Emong3 View Post
    naku sir laki ng difference ng 2002 civic sa current! :D
    i know di ba ito nanalo ng 2007 COTY.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    another thread that would really aid us as we are planning to buy a 2nd hand ES

how about the aircon of ES LXi?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    For me, this Civic version isn't a true uprgade from your EK VTi (96-00) or even the EG ESi (92-95). It has more cons than pros.

Pros

- Still great VTEC3 engine (despite suspicions that it's actually a 1.7 rather than the advertised 1.6)
    - Improved rear space
    - mp3-capable stereo

Cons

- Ugly rear design
    - Bouncy ride due to very soft rear suspension, which also affects sportiness attributed to previous Civics.
    - Idling problems (my friend's VTi M/T also suffered this)
    - Sluggish A/T (19 seconds to 100 in the VTi, would you believe?)
    - Falling fuel tank!

Verdict

It's a Civic that shouldn't have been made, a sacrilege to the name hailed by many. For this price range, you're better of with an Altis. And if I were the President, I'll demand Honda to give everyone their money back for this lemon, or else disallow them to sell any more of their vehicles in this country.

Hi.

I can't help but read on this post and react on it.

I am a proud owner of a 2005 ES, and all I can say that it wasn't a "sacrilege" to Honda's name.

Sure, the ES has a lot of quirks (as I've experienced a number of them), but that didn't stop me from saying that this is a great car. But remeber that the car was completely different from it's EG/EK ascendants. Everything was completely redesigned for more space and fuel efficiency. Honda reiterated it's principle of the Civic, which is Maximum Man, Minimum Machine (not sure if the terms are correct, but you get the point.)

Plus, the car had Honda reliability stamped all over it. Although the suspension was not that great, the engine was practically bulletproof. I know a few people that have driven their cars on long trips, and not one of them complained on severe problems regarding their engines. In fact, with proper care, some of them even ran pretty much like brand new.

Although the car did not have much aftermarket support, especially from the Land of the Rising Sun, some of the parts are completely compatible with the DC5 Integra Type R, especially it's engines and suspension. I've already seen an ES that has a K20 swap, and it could nearly catch up to an Evo in a track.

Finally, the car is great for putting in aftermarket ICE. The interior is perfect for SQ, with the dashboard large and flat for recreating soundstage and imaging. In fact, the winner of the first IASCA competition here was an ES, and an ES won the KAC competition TWICE.

So even though it's not at par withe EG/EK and the FD, great things can be made on this car. So, if you hate the car, sell it. i'm sure someone would want it more than you.

Just my two cents.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Apparently, I didn't get lucky. Our super-great Honda Dealer had been fixing all the recall items as the car was brought into service and as the problems became known to them. Now that's aftersales! Dun sa mga nakakuha ng unit sa ibang dealer, sorry na lang. All in all though, this car was totally reliable for us for the past 6 years. If my new ride can just match it, I'd be quite happy. Kaya for sure mag ho-honda pa me ulit sometime in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
civic vti 2002