New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    tried gear "2" yesterday and the vtec kicked in at 4.5k rpm. or i think that was what it was, i think it is. so i can only use it at high rpm. mataas na un kasi my AT shifts at 3-3.5k rpm. pwede po kaya i-alter ung vtec to kick in at 3.5k rpm?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    If overtaking is what you want there's no need to mess with the vtec activation. You just press down hard on the throttle. The AT tranny will kick down the gear allowing the engine to reach its vtec activation point. Don't hold back on the throttle until you've reached overtaking speed. Ganyan talaga Honda.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    ganun na nga po nakaugalihan ko, everytime i need power i just step on the gas pedal hard, pero ang away ko lang po dun e magastos lang sa gas, specially on long trips when i overtake a lot and need that extra power.

any more tips on keeping the gas consumption on the down low, and making the power/acceleration high? tnx

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    if you want to push hard just leave it in D3. I believe the 96-2000 civic vti dosent have a 1 like the accord during that time..it's P-R-D4-D3-2... leave it in D3 so that it will go thourgh the "first gear". When you step on it, step on it HARD, and don't lift your foot on the pedal since it will make an upshift...if you could do this you will be able to reach up to 6-6.4K rpm * around 60-65KPH before the tranny upshifts to "2". If your in the highway running 70-80kph , do the same thing. Put in D3 and mash the accelerator, it will down shift throw your revs higher at round 4K rpm then off you go, don't lift your foot until it shifts on its own.

Now regarding the vtec kick, it didn't feel much on a sohc when I was driving a 97vti, they say it opens at around 5K rpm for the PH16. My friend had a "fields vtec controller" on his 96 vti, he tuned it so the vtec would open at 4.5K rpm. That's the only time I felt the high-lift for a sohc ( which wasn't much). If you want to feel a vtec kick ride a dohc vtec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
civic 96 AT query