New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hi guys,, ask ko lng po kung mganda at pede ba tanggalin ung catalytic converter, because just recently had a muffler change, and the mechanic told me na para mas ma maximize ko pa ung power i need to remove the cataytic converter, ok lng ba na tanggalin ung converter to produce additional HP or will it do something bad to the engine if i remove it? btw it has sensor daw so medyo delicate ung removal nun any advice po?

thanks tsikot.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'm no expert, opinion ko lang dont do it. The catalytic converter is there to minimize emmissions. If you remove it, your emmsisiions will increase. I have heard that it will increase hp. But I really dont trust the guy who told me. So I dont know if removing it will increase your hp or its bs. It was put there by the engineers and designers so why take it out?

Best wait for the experts to chime in.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you can remove it ONLY if you do not use MY air! stop messing with the air my CHILDREN breathe! the catalytic converter was put there to comply with air emmision standards that were set to protect the HEALTH OF PEOPLE and the SAFETY OF THE ENVIRONMENT. if you remove it then make sure you only run your car inside your garage, with the doors closed and you locked inside. gusto mong mamatay magpakamatay kang magisa at huwag ka mandamay ng iba.

FOLLOW THE LAW PLEASE! LAWS WERE NOT MADE FOR YOU TO BREAK.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    ang purpose ng catalytic converter ay to convert harmful compounds to safer compounds.

konting konti lang ma gain sa power pag tinaggal ito. konti lang din ang ma gain pag nag palit ng muffler lang. kahit na pagsabayin pa rin ito, konting konti lang talaga ang gains.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the car is properly tuned, removing the catalytic converter will not yield very much power, but at least emissions won't increase horribly.

Hondas of the 80's and 90's managed to pass emissions regulations without catalytic converters thanks to proper tuning.

But... removing the cat can have consequences. If you have an OBD2 car, it will cause a check engine light, and moving or removing the O2 sensors will change the way the car runs and can increase emissions unnecessarily without having positive effects on power.

There are many ways to get more power out of your car without risking failing emissions. You don't need to remove the cat for more power unless your car is a fully stripped track-only racing vehicle. On a mainly stock street car with a stock engine, the extra power is so small as to be almost unnoticeable.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkeight08 View Post
    Hi guys,, ask ko lng po kung mganda at pede ba tanggalin ung catalytic converter, because just recently had a muffler change, and the mechanic told me na para mas ma maximize ko pa ung power i need to remove the cataytic converter, ok lng ba na tanggalin ung converter to produce additional HP or will it do something bad to the engine if i remove it? btw it has sensor daw so medyo delicate ung removal nun any advice po?

thanks tsikot.
    If it is a recent model car, removing the catalytic converter will not gain you much HP. Modern catalytic converters are already low restriction in design and is tuned with the engine's displacement and performance.

Regarding the sensors on the catalytic converters, if you remove the cat-converter, the sensors will trigger a warning light on the ODB2/ODB3 which may also trigger other things like engine-limp mode which WILL affect the engine's performance until the "problem" is fixed.

In short, better NOT to mess with it (unless you really know what you are doing).

If you want more power from your car's engine, you can have a UNI-CHIP (or similar engine tuning device) installed and dyno-tuned for maximum power. You could call up SPEEDLAB and ask for their "power package" deal for your car.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    CAT already removed, thanks sa magaling na mechanic ngawan ng paraan ung sensor,, grabe ang lake ng dinagdag sa HP hehehe sarap na i-byahe, and i think it will consume less gas this time coz konting pitik lng respond agad and engine, thanks po sa lhat ng nag adivice, kanya kanya lng nmn tlga cguro yan hehe, advice ko po dun sa mga mag papatnggal ng CAT nila, think twice coz very delicate tlga ung pag ayos sa sensor and make sure na reliable ung mechanic na gagawa, thanks tsikot..

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    nagpa dyno ka before and after?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my guess, butt-dyno lang yan. Effects similar to HP gains from a "powered by" sticker. hehehe

10. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Sir san mo pinagawa? Sira na kasi cat converter ko. Mahal ng bnew. Salamat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
catalytic converter removal?