New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ And it is safer than being in 'angel gear'....

9202:toothbrush:

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Another facts or myths
    1. It's never safe to use tap water as coolant.

2. I will harm my car paint with freauently washing my car with a car shampoo, say with polyglaze.

3. My car's battery is still in-use when the engine is running.

4. Turning on my radio while the engine is off will hasten my battery to get discharged.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
    Another facts or myths

2. I will harm my car paint with freauently washing my car with a car shampoo, say with polyglaze.

4. Turning on my radio while the engine is off will hasten my battery to get discharged.
    1. It is not adviceable to use tap water. But it is safe. Once coolants are used, better stick with coolants.

2. If shampoo is non abrasive and with the correct tools (rags, etc) and method. So No

3. Once the battery is fully charged, the engine still charges it with a very small amout of current (trickle charging). If the engine is running and is getting power from the battery, the alternator is not working properly.

4. Stock radio consumes a very small amout of power. A few hours is Ok.
    Last edited by meledson; January 29th, 2010 at 10:20 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Another facts or myths

1. It's not safe for your car's radiator. There are contaminants in tap water which cause corrosion. Always use radiator coolant (mixed). Pero kung ang nabili mo is concentrated, mix it with distilled water.

2. I am not sure about this. That's why I am cleaning my car once a week with car shampoo. Pag kelangan linisin ulit, I use running water and sponge.

3. Definitely the battery is still in-use. For the gasoline engines, spark plugs use electricity. For the diesel engines, battery is used in heater plugs. Pero pag umandar na, hindi na gagamit ng electricity. But all the equipments need the battery kahit idle lang. Examples are the ECUs, optitron guages, multi-info display, automatic transmissions, indicators, all other gadgets inside... everything electrical is connected to the battery.

4. You have to start the engine on a 15min interval para hindi ma-drain ang battery if the stereo is on. Pero kung naka set up ang stereo mo, engine should be running.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Another facts or myths

1) Depends on your radiator. Aluminum-core radiators do NOT take kindly to plain water, and need coolant mixed in.

2) A complete myth. That's just laziness talking. Car shampoo is only one part of the equation however. You need to do the correct process, use the correct washing tools AND take care of them properly to avoid scratching your paint. Fail in any of those areas and your paint can get scratched.

3) Most of the electrical load shifts to the alternator. If there's any current draw from the battery when the engine is on, it'll be minimal.

4) Yes.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Tap water is safe for short periods of time. Using it long term is like gargling with corn syrup every night before you go to bed. Bad for your teeth... errh... radiator.

Tap water is high in mineral contents, and will, over time, lead to scale build-up on the inside of your engine. This is bad for your radiator, bad for your hoses, bad for your thermostat and bad for your water pump. This doesn't mean you can't use it at all... but if you care about the condition of your engine, you shouldn't.

As to whether distilled water or water+coolant is better. Distilled isn't as bad as tap, but without coolant, there's nothing to prevent rust build-up on the inside of the engine if you're driving an iron-block. Suspended rust particles can gum up your radiator and thermostat over time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
car facts or myths?