New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    ts is single with no obligation, then create one (obligation) get the fd and enjoy life.

at least you will see and feel where your money goes unless your control for an itch is strong then save up and buy it later.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Insurance is around 23-26k annually. That was pre-Ondoy where in my case, AoG was already included.

For the maintenance, the amount you will have to pay would depend on what needs to be replaced on that particular PMS. Usually, any odd-numbered x0,000 km PMS are usually the cheapest, as it only usually necessitates an oil and oil filter change.

The even numbered x0,000 km PMS usually would require replacement of the more expensive consumable items (CMIIW; ie. air cleaner and cabin filter every 20k, sparkplugs every 60k, fuel filter every 80k, ATF or MTF, PSF, coolant, new tires, etc.)

In other words, as the car gets older, maintenance costs would tend to increase. Syempre di pa kasama yung urge to facilitate some mods.... nicer stereo, speakers, maybe some new mags, lowering kits, etc. :D

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    when i bought my first car, my monthly amort was 25% of my gross monthly. I had a wife and 1 kid at that time.

I agree that you have to save some more.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Thanks everyone! Awesome replies. Short term plan is yes, to save up for maybe a year, by that time I'd be able to afford at least a 50% DP which takes my monthly amortization down bigtime. Maybe even invest my current savings for now and manage my money for a year or so and watch it grow. By then, my salary would've doubled or something and I can REALLY afford the car.

My eyes are set on a Jazz 1.5V/Altis 1.6G/Civic 1.8V for this one. It can wait. Tiis lang. :D

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Thanks everyone! Awesome replies. Short term plan is yes, to save up for maybe a year, by that time I'd be able to afford at least a 50% DP which takes my monthly amortization down bigtime. Maybe even invest my current savings for now and manage my money for a year or so and watch it grow. By then, my salary would've doubled or something and I can REALLY afford the car.

My eyes are set on a Jazz 1.5V/Altis 1.6G/Civic 1.8V for this one. It can wait. Tiis lang. :D
    That's the spirit. Best things comes to those who wait.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Hi guys. I'm looking into buying a brand new car right now. I'm single and have no other bills to pay except for our house's monthly DSL payment.

I've been wondering what percent of my salary should I dedicate into a car's monthly amortization? And how much SHOULD I be making to afford let's say a brand new Honda Civic? In totality a Civic costs twice my annual salary, not taking into account a possible pay increase.

Can I afford one? Thanks guys.

It's been mentioned that you're making around P30k a month, but note that you would have to net that of taxes & other deductions, your take home pay will be somewhere around P23k. Which tells us all, you can't afford it yet.

I know because my salary is just a bit higher than yours and i'm planning to get a car under my company's benefit program. the company will shoulder my 30% dp, offers me a better int. rate and a standard term of 5yrs, and i'm still thinking twice about spending my P9k/mo. on the amortization (for a car that costs a max of P660k gross) - considering all the other expenses that come with owning a car - insurance, parking, gas, maint.

I can afford it but isipin mo na lang, mahirap ang masagad financially. Mas maganda eh may room pa din tayo for our savings even when paying amort. for our car. One day we'll get our car! C'mon!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Can I afford a brand new FD Civic? [MERGED]