New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 825 of 884 FirstFirst ... 725775815821822823824825826827828829835875 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,250 of 8837
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddam View Post
    I have a brv pero same din lang naman ata sila. Owner's manual says it's ok, pero best to consult your manual, nakalagay dun lahat. Ganto ginagawa ko kapag mahabang pataas o pababa. Huwag mo nga lang gawin habang nakaapak ka sa gas.
    I think hindi ata ako umaapak sa gas kapag D to S pero kapag S to D hindi ko nirerelease ung gas pedal

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KcireReaver View Post
    is it safe to shift from D to S to engine brake on corners? I usually downshift on corners when using mt to assist my brakes.

just use your brakes. cvt repair is not possible. brake pads are cheap

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    just use your brakes. cvt repair is not possible. brake pads are cheap

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    does it really hurts the transmission when you engine brake?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KcireReaver View Post
    does it really hurts the transmission when you engine brake?

Quick question...how significant is engine braking in terms of its overall contribution in slowing down a car or bringing it to a full stop vis a vis the brakes? I'm thinking that if the contribution is insignificant..say for example 10% engine brake-90% wheel brakes, is it even worth it to risk additional wear or possibly breaking your transmission(if it even has an effect at all) vs just using the brakes to stop the car?

**By engine brake i mean intentionally selecting a lower gear to slow down the car (not lifting your foot off the gas pedal and slowing down in gear).

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It’s significant when you are going downhill and you constantly use your brakes. Naka experience ka na ba nung “lumusot” ang preno? Id rather loose my transmission than plunge into a ravine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    It’s significant when you are going downhill and you constantly use your brakes. Naka experience ka na ba nung “lumusot” ang preno? Id rather loose my transmission than plunge into a ravine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this is an entirely different scenario, pag lumusot preno even if you do an engine brake you will still (most likely) plunge into a ravine engine brake won't stop your car either, i agree with n_spinner brake pads/shoes are way cheaper than tranny repairs, imho

7. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by n_spinner06 View Post
    Quick question...how significant is engine braking in terms of its overall contribution in slowing down a car or bringing it to a full stop vis a vis the brakes? I'm thinking that if the contribution is insignificant..say for example 10% engine brake-90% wheel brakes, is it even worth it to risk additional wear or possibly breaking your transmission(if it even has an effect at all) vs just using the brakes to stop the car?

**By engine brake i mean intentionally selecting a lower gear to slow down the car (not lifting your foot off the gas pedal and slowing down in gear).

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
    as i've read on some articles and also my own experience when you engine brake (shifting to lower gear to decelerate), you have more control on the speed specially when you do not trust your brakes. ramdam ko talaga kapag mahaba ung downhill parang lumalalim ung feel sa brake pedal parang ramdam ko nawawala ung kapit nya. kaya kelangan talaga ung engine braking.
    some says engine braking affects the transmission but other says it doesnt.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the best way is to simply drive slower.
    it doesn't cost anything.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post
    this is an entirely different scenario, pag lumusot preno even if you do an engine brake you will still (most likely) plunge into a ravine engine brake won't stop your car either, i agree with n_spinner brake pads/shoes are way cheaper than tranny repairs, imho
    imo he is trying to say that assist the brake thru engine braking to avoid or before resulting to loose brake

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Engine braking in itself will not damage your transmission. It's perfectly fine for a car to stay at a high rpm (which is when engine braking works).

The problem is when coming from low rpm then suddenly going to high rpm without proper rev matching. When driving a manual, most people don't rev match - they just slot it to a lower gear and release the clutch and wait for the revs to rise. That puts a lot of stress on the clutch and transmission - you can avoid it by revving the engine to the expected rpm of the lower gear before releasing the clutch.

For automatics, most non-sports cars don't have auto-blipping, but the ECU is smart enough to be conservative about the downshifting (or ratio adjustment for CVT) to not burn out the clutch/pulleys.

Bottomline - engine braking is crucial for continuous downhill driving, and it isn't harmful to your transmission when done right.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk