New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Just noticed this yesterday while I was about to move my Jazz a few inches to allow more room for passage in our garage.

I was lazy to get the key from our rack. Thought I can put the car in neutral and just push it.

The RELEASE BUTTON cannot be pressed, however, so the shift lever would not budge from the Park position.

I did not force it, of course.

Nevertheless, is this normal? Because I could have sworn I was able to do it some time ago.

Will appreciate your response/s.

Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    i think you need to press the brake pedals so you can release the button of the tranny.

Sent from my iPhone

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di ba solenoid activated ang release ng shift lever, so pag hindi nasa ON position ang ignition di mo mai-shift. for me normal yan. baka lang nung nagawa mo before e wala sa P, baka galing sa R o D.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Ang alam ko hindi kayang tanggalin from Park ang AT lever pag wala sa ON position ang key.
    Kahit sa AUXILLARY position yung key hindi rin pwede.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ I think you meant "ACCessories"... but you're nevertheless correct.

On A/T vehicles, you won't be able to shift out of Park if the key is not in the ON position and stepping on the brakes.

There are inter-locking mechanisms on A/T cars that, depending on brand and model, will prevent a lot of things that will likely cause an accident and then some. Here are a couple of examples:

1. You won't be able to start the engine with the shifter in any other position than P or N
    2. You won't be able to take the key out of the ignition if the shifter is not in P
    ...and several more depending on brand and model.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Thanks po for the correction.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    These information are in your vehicles operating manual.