New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's also to do with engine and cooling design.

I've noticed Ford/Mazda engine bays are very hot (even the Protege, though strangely, it isn't that cramped).

Surprised that the Sonata would be okay, with that big V6, but then, it's an "old school" design, so probably not as prone to heat soak as some more modern, tightly packed cars.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It's also to do with engine and cooling design.

I've noticed Ford/Mazda engine bays are very hot (even the Protege, though strangely, it isn't that cramped).

Surprised that the Sonata would be okay, with that big V6, but then, it's an "old school" design, so probably not as prone to heat soak as some more modern, tightly packed cars.
    The 06 Sonata's 3.3L V6 is no more old school than many midsize V6 from other cars. It is a new design from the ground up with the variable valve timing tech goodies of other engines. At least here, bigger engines doesn't seem to be affected too much by the heat. It's at Nevada where the Sonata seems to have less power because of the higher altitudes. The elevation averages from 4k-6k ft above sea level versus 1.5k ft here. To fix that, I'd have to have the Sonata tuned for those conditions. Of course, we rarely stay long enough to justify a tuneup.

Turbocharged-4's on the other hand are very much affected by heat although they seem less prone to altitude changes. Weather also plays a part in how turbos (and probably N-A cars) behave. During High Pressure days, that turbo's just rearing to go because of the denser air.

One thing I do get concerned about turbo cars here (where it's hot) is the tendency for the turbo to really get hot. There were times when the turbo heat shroud of my friend's STi would glow a dim red (best seen at night), especially after a mountain dash. If there was an oil leak and some fell on that hot shroud, that oil will ignite immediately.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What I mean is that the design itself is in the "classical" vein. Meaning, long engine bay, relatively uncluttered. Other manufacturers, going for shorter overhangs and more compact packaging, are squeezing them in tighter and tighter.

*Honda actually got a little more power out of the Honda City by increasing the size of the nose and re-directing airflow inside the bay for more efficient cooling... now that's tight!

True, the nemesis of N/A engines seems to be altitude. I actually had an AT Sentra stall on me in the mountains, simply because of the air.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    What I mean is that the design itself is in the "classical" vein. Meaning, long engine bay, relatively uncluttered. Other manufacturers, going for shorter overhangs and more compact packaging, are squeezing them in tighter and tighter.
    Aaaah. Ok. Kinda reminds me of our Contour. Beats me how Ford managed to shoehorn that 2.5 V6 inside. I mean, the engine bay of my Laser has more room. The Contour's engine bay is tight and a bit of a pain to check fluids, esp the A/T fluid.

True, the nemesis of N/A engines seems to be altitude. I actually had an AT Sentra stall on me in the mountains, simply because of the air.
    That's why up in the Great Basin (from Nevada to Colorado), a lot of turbo and supercharged cars can be found (along with many V8's).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
2007 Honda Accord V6 Short Drive