New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi Sirs and Gurus,

I have recently bought a second hand 2005 model Honda CRV with 2.0 Engine I-vtec, I would like to inquire if other than Honda DW-1 ATF oil, what other brand can I use? Can I use a Detron III oil?

Thanks,

Jun

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Honda vehicles are notoriously picky when it comes to fluids that's why i'd recommend you stick w\ honda oem atf

when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Spare yourself the trouble and just use Honda's OEM ATF.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by batosai View Post
    Hi Sirs and Gurus,

I have recently bought a second hand 2005 model Honda CRV with 2.0 Engine I-vtec, I would like to inquire if other than Honda DW-1 ATF oil, what other brand can I use? Can I use a Detron III oil?

Thanks,

Jun
    There's a thing called "Car Manual" where you can find the technical specs of your car's requirements. It is a product of years and millions of money, worthy enough for you to follow.

You can subscribe Brands but not specs.

But yes, I agree with all previous recommendations.

There's a right and wrong way to save money.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by batosai View Post
    Hi Sirs and Gurus,

Thanks,

Jun
    you can.
    and as what the folks above say, i won't recommend it, either.
    minor differences between fluids, may cause CVT malfunction. google them, sir.
    if you wish to avoid these, go recommended fluids.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Spare yourself the trouble and just use Honda's OEM ATF.
    I totally agree, just use Honda. It won't cost that much, peace of mind is priceless.

Regarding Owner's Manual, it might be lost and can never be found. Just like our old CR-V 98, my grandfather lost it.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I totally agree, just use Honda. It won't cost that much, peace of mind is priceless.

Regarding Owner's Manual, it might be lost and can never be found. Just like our old CR-V 98, my grandfather lost it.
    Yes sir, the owners manual is lost, I’m the second owner of this vehicle. My unit is not yet CVT version.. its the last model of 2nd Gen Crv before the “pagong” model.

Thank you.