New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The CVT is a possible problem issue. If the previous owner was an idiot and raced it, the clutches could be burned out, and they're expensive to replace (Honda won't sell partial assemblies, just the whole box). Also, there was a recall due to improper transmission fluid use... if you want a CVT, you must check that the car had the recall work done.

Get the manual... much less to think about. Possible problem points for that include interior rattles, rubber trim issues and a "kalampag" in front that arises from some pretty weak front suspension bushings. Whether or not the car has kalampag will depend on how the previous owner drove and where he drove... and you can replace the bushings with polyurethane to get rid of it... (besides most 4-5 year old cars will need some kind of suspension work, anyway) the other issues are minor and can be solved with some tape and rugby.

Also note that the 1.3 requires eight spark plugs when it comes time to replace them, and that you must use synthetic oil if you're following the casa's 10,000 kilometer/1 year oil change interval.

Keep hunting. You might get lucky and find one for under 400. ;)
    Last edited by niky; July 31st, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Just one off my head:
    Honda paint and clearcoat is notoriously thin.

Otherwise I don't see much of an issue. The City should be good if the previous owner maintained it well.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    I don't see the point of this post. Have you even sat in or driven a Jazz before?

If you're going to complain about acceleration upslope when fully laden, the City and Jazz 1.3 don't have problems with that - especially on a curving driveway such as at the Shangri-La Plaza mall parking.

Granted, if you straighten said driveway then the Hondas suffer, but it's still doable.

If you're talking about space, it's only on the outside that the Jazz and City look small. People keep wondering how Honda managed to free all the space inside my Jazz's shell. I have no problem fitting five people with space to spare - everyone has enough elbow room and leg room.
    The thread was about COMPARING the Jazz/City and Lynx with both being 1.3. You were pointing out how the Jazz/City do well even fully loaded at 1.3 and that is exactly my point. Yung Lynx na 1.3 pag loaded na hihika hika na sa slopes and inclines. Thus the Jazz/City is a better choice in this aspect. Comprende?

And should the buyer choose the Jazz or City na 1.3, the 1.5 versions would even look (and perform) even better.

Yes I have ridden all three. The Lynx being bigger might have an edge. The Jazz does well with little baggage loaded but load up the boot area and you will have a full baggage area soon enough. And family cars get their boots filled up fast enough. Compared to the passenger and baggage areas of a Lynx and a City, the Jazz has the lowerhand. Comprende?

The context is on comparing both sets of cars.

As for size, the Jazz looks so cute. Thus it's popularity on small size car markets. Still. Cute.

Peace to all defenders of the Jazz.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd still contend this.

Do you own a 1300 Sedan?

Granted, with a full load, you have to rev it higher to go uphill, but at no time have I ever felt that a 1300 sedan couldn't make it.

I've driven my 1300 everywhere. Tagaytay, regularly... up to the Bataan monument with four on-board. I have never felt it lacked power for that. 1.3 liter automatic sedans might be unable to do such things without a lot of straining and flooring of the pedal (due to the stupid AT)... but the Lynx LSi is only available with a manual transmission. And it only weighs a hundred kilos more than a Jazz.

Again, these things aren't like carbureted 1970's cars that would choke anytime they saw a slope or experienced thin air... these are modern fuel-injected cars.

The only time a 1300 will be close to struggling with a slope is if you have a slope steep enough that even bigger engined cars will have trouble climbing it, due to lack of traction... or if you ask one to carry the load of an AUV. (The Avanza I mentioned earlier) And even then, it can be done without grenading the engine... unless you're a dieseler who thinks that everything should be able to climb slopes at just 2000 rpm...

Ask any owner of a 1.3 MT. The cars are good enough. You need to use a lower gear and more revs to get the same power you can get from a 1.6, but unless you're drag-racing, there's nothing inherently wrong with the engine. You just have to know how to use what you have.
    Last edited by niky; August 5th, 2009 at 12:16 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I'd still contend this.

Do you own a 1300 Sedan?

Granted, with a full load, you have to rev it higher to go uphill, but at no time have I ever felt that a 1300 sedan couldn't make it.

I've driven my 1300 everywhere. Tagaytay, regularly... up to the Bataan monument with four on-board. I have never felt it lacked power for that. 1.3 liter automatic sedans might be unable to do such things... but the Lynx LSi is only available with a manual transmission.

Again, these things aren't like carbureted 1970's cars that would choke anytime they saw a slope or experienced thin air... these are modern fuel-injected cars.

The only time a 1300 will be close to struggling with a slope is if you have a slope steep enough that even bigger engined cars will have trouble climbing it, due to lack of traction... or if you ask one to carry the load of an AUV. (The Avanza I mentioned earlier) And even then, it can be done without grenading the engine... unless you're a dieseler who thinks that everything should be able to climb slopes at just 2000 rpm...
    agree.. i drive a butt-heavy 1.3 N16 Sentra and with myself and 4 big adults and luggage, walang problems on steep slopes.. not as easy as regular climbs, but with the right rev, walang problems. to think that the weight of an N16 is a lot higher than that of City's.

para nde OT, if Lynx kukunin mo, go for the RS, wag LSI. ang RS, cool ang stock, mas pogi pag binihisan...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Bro - I vote for Honda rather than Ford. Fuel consumption, resale value, japorms, great engine. Isa pa baka magsara na ang Ford hehehe.. Joke...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i have a honda city idsi 2004 model and it's tough and very good! as in. i never regret na i chose honda than ford. especially city vs lynx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
1st car: '05 Honda City i-DSI 1.3 m/t or '05 Ford Lynx 1.3 m/t?