New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006

Got to stretch out the Civic’s legs over the holiday. This is such a good car for the price, primarily because of the engine.

Spec-wise, this is essentially the Civic 1.8E from the FC with slightly less features but a big bump in power. On paper it looks like just a 37 hp difference (178 vs 141 hp) but IRL the FE has more useable power and a flatter torque curve. This is noticeable in the 0-100 times (8 sec vs 10.2 sec). In exchange, you lose some nifty features like LED headlamps, fog lamps, remote start, and keyless entry, but it’s a very good tradeoff.

The Civic can actually keep up with my IS 80% of the time, despite the 128 hp difference. The biggest difference is that the Lexus has power all the time at all parts of the rev range, while you have to wait for the Civic’s turbo to spool to get going. Granted, there’s very little turbo lag, but the split-second while waiting for the power to kick in can spell the difference between making an overtake and hitting the car approaching you head-on. This could’ve been solved by paddle shifters to simulate higher revs, but none of that in this base model Civic.

On the corners, since I had Pilot Sport 5 tires on both cars, cornering speed was pretty much identical. But while you can take curves at the same speed, obviously the Lexus feels more planted and effortless while the Civic feels more nimble but also more nervous (it’s 300 kg lighter after all). Overall despite being a bigger car, it still has the same nimbleness as the older FC.

Too bad they discontinued the base 1.5S Civic - I don’t think the mid-range V and flagship RS can draw in enough buyers to lure them away from the cheaper Altis or the more practical crossovers in the same price range.

The compact sedan is a dying breed, but this Civic FE is a pretty good way to go down fighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Eyeing this as an upgrade/replacement to our Mazda 2. Is the extra toys of the RS worth it over the V?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Eyeing this as an upgrade/replacement to our Mazda 2. Is the extra toys of the RS worth it over the V?
    in my opinion,
    when it comes to the "higher end" variants,
    it's not a question of "is it worth it" anymore,
    it's already a question of "how much do i want it".

you already have the means to go from point A to point B in relative comfort.
    what toys you want to play with along the way, is entirely up to you.

what would i do?
    if it won't hemorrhage my bank account,
    i'd go for broke.

when it comes to luxury,
    there ain't no right or wrong answer.

heh heh.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Para sa +200k, madami namang extras iyong RS. Depende siguro kung gusto lahat ng extras.

Sa RS gusto ko iyong Bose surround, complete airbags, at dual AC.

Sa V okay iyong smaller 17" na gulong, malamamg mas comfortable, tipid sa gas, at mas mura palitan.

Personal preference naman ang leather vs. Cloth seats.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718