New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hi all,

I have a problem with my crv. There's this burning (bad) smell in my cabin that would last for about a minute or two whenever I rev up to overtake or need more power. I am not certain if it's coming from my aircon vents bec crv really has this distinct aircon smell as if it has a freshner inside. Sometimes I suspect it's coming from the rear passenger side which after a while you would smell in the fron seats. Brought it to honda and initially they just cleaned the aircon filter but smell is still there. Brought it back and they advised me to leave my car for further diagnosis. Didn't leave it for the reason that they sounded they cannot also pinpoint what's causing it. Before I bring it back to them again, I'd like to get comments from co owners here whom have also encountered the same problem. Any suggestions on how to address this issue? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    When at high speeds and/or redlined, I get this with my 06 Civic.

A friend's Altis (9th gen) also exhibits same symptoms.

Odor is greatest when the aircon is on, pero there's still a slight smell even when this is done when the AC is off.

I think this is normal.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    I also experience the same with my 09 strada when accelerating (but not up to redline) odor seems to come from driver side aircon vent, this I'm sure of because my wife on the other side doesn't seem to notice it. Also, with mine odors is only present for about 10 sec max.

hmmm, im wondering what is the source of that burning smell

please post if ever you have update.

thanks!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    i get this smell sa lahat ng sasakyang na redline ko na. walang exceptions. even our 2009 sorento exhibits this smell. burning smell paring under redline and hard acceleration. i think this is normal. may 07 crv at 09 civic kami ganyan rin. itong 06 city namin ganyan rin.

ang tanong, bakit at saan kaya galing?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it smells like rotten eggs or like a faintly metallic burning it's probably just your catalytic converter... those normally emit a smell at high rpms.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I know of two possible reasons:

1. The sudden change in velocity (acceleration) causes a temporary pressure decrease inside the cabin (through the rear cabin breather). This can draw air from the engine bay which leaks into the cabin through the air recirculation flap, as it is not always airtight.

2. The heat from the exhaust pipes are transferred to the cabin flooring, making caustic products like adhesives, carpeting, sound-absorbing pads, etc. under the floor to emit the odor.

Otherwise, unless you see smoke, this is normal.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for sharing your similar experience I am having with my car. While everyone is saying this is normal, for me it's not bec I don't experience this with my 09 altis as well as with my previous cars.

For my passengers (most if not some) to ask "what is that smell?" simply means that it's a bothersome.

Really hope someone could give solution to this.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    i want to up this

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Well, if it smells like burning rubber or insulation it might be some wiring that's shorting out. Nabaha kaya yung CRV nya?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    i upped this kasi i want to know whats the cause. lahat ng sasakyan namin ganito umaamoy rin. feel ko tama sabi ni oj88.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
08 crv burning smell in cabin during acceleration