New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    It is a personal experience.

I feel that it is my duty, as a member of tsikot.com, to inform/warn everyone here of a bad incident that happened in broad daylight, around 1.30pm on a peaceful Sunday (October 16, 2005), at the parking lot of MALVAR GENERAL HOSPITAL along Commonwealth Avenue, Quezon City.

For all of those familiar with the area, the hospital building itself is standing about 30 to 40 meters away from Commonwealth Avenue (CA). The space between CA and the hospital serves as the parking lot.

My whole family (wife and two kids, with two yayas) visited a friend confined at the said hospital. My kids were not allowed entry, as they are below 5 years old (hospital policy) so they stayed on the covered area/entrance with the yayas, merely 8 to 10 meters away from our parked vehicle, a Fortuner.

Barely 30 minutes, we went back to the car and was surprised that the window behind the driver's side was broken; a little searching and it was discovered that my laptop was missing. The laptop was partly hidden on that side, on the floor, upright in position, with some folders over it.

It is only then, after reporting the incident to the hospital security, that we were pointed to a small (10" x 10") plywood, a very inconspicuous sign, written: "Mag-ingat sa bukas-kotse at baklas mirror"... a proof that previous incidents have already happened (breaking a window was the first) BUT the management did not even have the temerity to place a security guard on patrol or posted in that part of the parking area. And, on that day, there was only 1 guard, sitting-pretty inside the emergency door, enjoying the cool air.

What do we get from this story? Here are my thoughts:

1. Ang hirap na talaga ng buhay ngayon. Criminals are very bold in their actions. Hindi na natatakot. Imagine, vehicles and people passing by CA (BTW, the side of the broken window was even facing CA).

2. FORTUNER SECURITY FLAW! Despite a forced entry, the alarm was not triggered. Pieces of the broken window even reached the other side of the car. The door, though, was not opened.

3. With no. 2, marurunong na talaga ang mga criminals. Alam na nila ang gagawin para hindi mag-alarm; at alam na rin nila ang hitsura ng laptop bag kahit na partly hidden. At the very least, my yayas will hear the alarm.

4. Valuables should be totally kept from would-be criminals' eyes.

5. With the stories of carjacking, carnapping, etc., particulary in QC, CA is the most notorious, from Tandang Sora to Fairview. Why? Informal settlers (squatters) abound the area, left and right of CA.

6. BTW, Puregold is just nearby the hospital, kaya ingat din sa mga nag-go-grocery doon, lalo na sa mga nagpapark sa lower portion where no guards are stationed. The "locals" serve as bantay-kotse; they just live behind/vicinity of Puregold.

7. Don't leave a member of the family inside the car, while parked.

Legal action is another story.

Into another story, a very close family friend's Revo suffered the same thing in Tagaytay, while parked. Window broken; all things stolen. Two months ago.

Best friend's Revo, while parked outside their house, in Baguio City, also suffered the same thing. Driver's side of the window broken; open door; alarm triggered; open hood; cut battery line. Apparently the robbers were interested with the H/U but nahirapan sila kasi it was not a "pull-out" version. Ang ginawa, middle of the dashboard was hit, badly damaged, pero hindi pa rin nakuha H/U. Guard was alerted this time, two shots were allegedly fired. The whole dashboard was replaced. A month ago.

Mom's friend's CRV was stolen while parked at Quezon City Hall. Parking near the Justice Hall. Last week.

STORIES not to frighten anyone but to serve as warnings to all of us, to your relatives and friends. Christmas is fast approaching; criminal activities increase.

BTW, broken window was replaced yesterday by the dealer; good thing meron na sila.

Easy driving!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    That's why I don't leave valuables in the car. Pag nag-park ako and I'd be away ng matagal, I also bring my laptop with me - kahit na mabigatan sa pagbitbit.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    tnx sir!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the heads-up

OT:
    kamahal-mahal ng fortuner eh chipipay pala alarm....anak ng tokwa...wala pang P5K meron ng alarm na super sensitive...ano ba nangyayari sa toyota?!?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vacation places (Baguio, Tagaytay) are hot spots because people tend to leave more valuables in the car.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    alarm ba talaga ang nakainstall sa fortuner or keyless entry lang?
    Signature

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Same thing that happened to my friend's car while parked along Dela Rosa st. in Makati in broad daylight. Laptop din yung nanakaw sa kanya.

Kahit sa America uso rin yung binabasag yung glass window ng kotse. Parati nga na merong feature na ganyan dun sa "World's Amazing Police Videos" sa AXN. Ibig sabihin, yung modus operandi is farely common, ang maganda lang sa America nagkalat ang mga surveillance cameras kaya natitiklo kagad yung mga kumag.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for sharing this with us, sir. It's so alarming that such cases is very rampant in the QC area. Guess, we all just have to be vigilant at all times. Sa hirap talaga ng buhay ngayon, wala ng lugar at oras pinipili mga magnanakaw ngayon. Sometimes, I can't help but think that the ones in uniform(policemen) are part of the diff. crimes in MM.

It's a good thing you didn't leave your children in the car. Also, good to hear that your window has been fixed.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    hay naku... kung nakawan lang naman wala mananakaw sa loob ng car namin hehe.. pero kung carnap wala kaming alarm

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    our sympathies, bro

guys, does the tint help?when i feel lazy kc or when i'm w/ my 2 toddlers & i've to chase them around the mall, i leave my laptop (+my wife's) in the car, either on the floor or sa trunk. my car has really dark tint & the blue alarm indicator light can be clearly seen from the outside. wanna know lang if you think these are deterrents

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
You ought to know... Don't be the next victim.