New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt View Post
    i remember seeing something on tv about u turn slots... the concept daw is to keep the flow of traffic constant, kahit na medyo mabagal... compared to stop lights na mas mabilis nga pero patigil-tigil naman, and nagkaka-problema pa minsan kapag high volume of traffic and cars are still in the middle of the intersection when the lights change. i think it was BF himself who was being interviewed about this... makes sense to me
    There is sense to the concept; the problem is a lot of that sense is lost in the implementation due to (amongst some):
    - poor slot placement (too near the intersection promtin drastic swerving measures)
    - lack of space
    - lack of proper lighting and reflectors (i always hoped they would put those high spot lights on the slot areas)
    - the traffic enforcers don't enforce anything outside of "swerving" of private motorists and color coding (while PUVs are free to obstruct the road)
    - drivers don't know how to make the u-turn properly and don't give way

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    the problem with the libis u-turn slot is its too near to the eastwood exit. like vinj said : - poor slot placement (too near the intersection promtin drastic swerving measures) drivers from eastwoods go straight to the middle of a lane road.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    +++++ on this!

U-turn slots would not be a problem if they weren't so close to the places people want to go.

It is very (and let me repeat this) very dangerous to merge four lanes in less than 100 meters, because free-flowing traffic that gets up to 80 km/h is barrelling down on you in that area.

That's my peeve, actually. Did Bayani Fernando actually do a traffic-flow analysis for these U-Turn slots? Did they consider the possibility of accidents caused by having cement barriers (without lights or reflectors) sitting in the two lanes which are supposedly "overtaking" or "fast" lanes?

U turns work in other countries because they're spaced at the proper interval, properly marked, with islands wide enough to allow the U-turning vehicle to turn within the designated radius.

Actually, we already have U-turns like that... at the overpasses. So why do we need lots of temporary, unsafe, unmarked and chaotic U-turns?

-----

And it still doesn't answer my biggest peeve. Kawawa ang mga pedestrians! There are no pedestrian overpasses or lighted lanes for them to cross at! That's why I still think they should get rid of all of these U-Turns and return the intersection. This would make it safer for pedestrians... and us drivers who have to dodge madly swerving traffic every five hundred meters.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Very Long U-Turn Intervals