New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    pardon my ignorance pero bakit nagkaroon ng pools of water sa skyway? granted na malakas ang downpour during that time, eh di ba dapat adequate ang drainage system ng skyway kasi alam naman ng lahat na dangerous ang pools of water sa kalsada?

hindi kaya barado ang mga drainage holes kaya hayun at nagkaroon ng water ponding at certain places?...nagtataka lang po.

kung pabaya sa maintenance ang PNCC sa skyway ay me liability din sila sa nangyari di ba?
    Last edited by lolo pepe; October 20th, 2006 at 04:15 AM. Reason: me nakalimutang isulat

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Look at this link (PDF) to a UK standard for barriers (called parapets):

http://www.corusgroup.com/file_sourc...0_01-10-03.pdf

Might be useful too:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/si...&id=4530605013

First link has this image:

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Maybe... like I said, we can't really tell.

I've talked to some people, and thanks to that patrolman's instant verdict (without even consulting eyewitnesses), Kenneth Quintal has been branded from here until the hereafter by people who listened to the news as a bloody-minded street racer.

Like I've said before, if the guy is innocent of speeding, poor him.

But as the Trooper was coming up from the Magallanes interchange and Quintal was coming from further north, it's obvious then, that they weren't racing each other.

Speeding? God only knows... Judas not pay.

----

James is right about the railing. How can the PNCC claim they're US standard...standard for what? School zones?

Like I've said, modern US highway barriers are designed to deflect vehicular impacts instead of absorb them. Our current post and railing barriers don't. If they're built to any standards, maybe it's the 1970's standard.

It doesn't take thousands of tons of concrete to make better barriers for the Skyway, just up-to-date construction techniques. Modern highway barriers are astoundingly simple and effective:

The angle of the lower portion pushes the impact energy up, and the angle of the upper portion pushes the vehicle back onto the road. The only way a vehicle is going through this barrier is if it hits it head on.

Expensive? consider the temporary barriers the PNCC uses follow a similar design already.

The Trooper in question only hit the barrier at a slight angle, and it still went through... US standards? Bull sh*t.
    I can attest that those barriers really pushes you back on the road. I drove into one of those when I fell asleep at the wheel going to work after a long shift the night prior. I was lucky it wasn't head on but at an angle about 60degrees I guess. I woke up and my car was on two wheels with the passenger side riding the barrier. If you've ever watched Dukes of Hazzard you get the picture of what it looked like, scared the living crap out of me and I was very much awake for the whole day. BTW I had no vehicle damage and I was going about 65MPH.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    redorange,
    good news that nothing bad happened. You were doing 65MPH back then (which is equivalent to 104.5KMH) and yet your car didn't jump the barrier.

the skyway barriers are really not at par with the U.S. standards kasi kahit 80KPH pa lang, over the bakod na ang trooper.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    I can attest that those barriers really pushes you back on the road. I drove into one of those when I fell asleep at the wheel going to work after a long shift the night prior. I was lucky it wasn't head on but at an angle about 60degrees I guess. I woke up and my car was on two wheels with the passenger side riding the barrier. If you've ever watched Dukes of Hazzard you get the picture of what it looked like, scared the living crap out of me and I was very much awake for the whole day. BTW I had no vehicle damage and I was going about 65MPH.
    Lucky you... hope that cured your sleep-driving... ...I've only ever fallen asleep at the wheel once, and when I woke up, I was still going straight (out for ten seconds... damn lucky)... never did it again...

I saw a demo of those barriers on video... the solution is so elegant, effective and simple, it's wonder why we don't do it yet. Doesn't cost much more than the pre-fab forms they're using already... and they can locally manufacture it, too!

RE: puddles?

It's possible, considering the sag between expansion joints... not really familiar with that part of the Skyway... I'll have to look tomorrow on my way to Laguna... I haven't driven on that section for a long time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lolo pepe View Post
    redorange,
    good news that nothing bad happened. You were doing 65MPH back then (which is equivalent to 104.5KMH) and yet your car didn't jump the barrier.

the skyway barriers are really not at par with the U.S. standards kasi kahit 80KPH pa lang, over the bakod na ang trooper.
    Yup 65mph but the car wasn't as heavy as the Trooper since it was a Mazda MX-3GS. Funny thing is I only fall asleep driving here not in Manila, probably because all the pot holes keep me awake when I drive there.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    What's the Trooper driver's story? Did he say that the Fortuner hit him? That could be a sore point in the case if the Fortuner caused him to swerve into the barrier without actually hitting him.
    -di ba umamin yung fortuner driver that nag hydroplane daw sya because he was drving quiet fast on the skyway then he hit the Trooper. trooper driver also said he was hit thats why he crushed into the barrier. oh men, ingat ingat nalang tayo. taas nun. kakatakot. paano kung small car like mga picanto yung nalaglag edi lagot yung driver.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Where did you have your tires traded it? How much is the trade-in value for the Bridgestones and how much extra did you pay for the balaqnce? Thanks!

Indeed they took out Quintal's pics after last week's incident. They must have noticed a marked increase in internet traffic perusing the profiles of the people behind C!. It also did not help that people here where hotlinking his pics (from the C! website)to this thread.

edit: at least one of the previous posters uploaded the (Quintal's mug)image to imageshack. To those who want to see it. Proceed to page 7.

If Quintal followed the formula to compute for the ideal speed (see above quote in bold) then he is indeed close to speeding, which caused him to aquaplane.
    Sorry for the delayed reply. The 5 michelin synkron tires cost an additional
    P8,000 at a tire dealership in binan, laguna (can pm you the name if you are interested). Please note that i drove the fortuner straight from the toyota dealer to have the tires changed so that must have influenced the trade-in value of the bridgestones. But i can tell you that the michelins really improved the ride quality of the fortuner and are not susceptible to hydroplaning during wet driving.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm... given that the Picanto is much shorter and smaller than the Trooper, i would think that its driver and passengers would worry more about being crushed against the barrier than falling over it.

But anyhow, the drainage system and the barriers should be under close scrutiny. In a downpour, water does accumulate at some places on the skyway, and it takes some time for those puddles to dissipate. Though flood control is something impossible to implement in most parts of the Philippines, it's something that has to work for our toll-imposed highways (SLEX, Skyway, NLEX). This is not to say we can drive above the posted speed limits, and recklessly at that, however, it's still a requirement from PNCC.

As to the barriers, well, they should keep the vehicles driving on the Skyway, on the Skyway. So if they're supposedly up to "international standards", then these standards should be revisited. Just like in the case of 9/11, wherein "international standards" of aviation security had to be tightened as they were too lax.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    New crash barriers should be just high enough and deformable (to absorb much of the impact of the vehicle) to prevent it from bouncing back to road (and hitting other vehicles again) or flipping over to the other side.
    Yes, PNCC must know about those already, for all we know they want to build the super high-tech expressways possible with all safety gadgets and speed cams, radars and everything but the problem lies again in the market. Building modern highways or any project for that matter costs a lot of money and you need to find a way to recoup that money in the shortest possible time so you can then earn. Sad but that's reality in a 3rd world country. We can beat that by driving carefully.

Skyway is an unnecessary expense for most motorists in SLEX so pricing it prohibitively in trying to recoup investment will make it a money sucker.

Question... if you aquaplaned (as you said it can be avoided) then you must've been speeding also right?
    Yes it can be avoided and yes, i often aquaplane when i run over a body of water quite faster than i should.

As I've said before, the AWD system of the Fortuner might have caused the vehicle to spin when it aquaplaned. This is highly possible and is a special note to all AWD vehicles out there.
    Hmmm, thanks i'll remember that. I did aquaplane test driving a friend's Touareg *120kph, thankfully it didn't spin. If i'm not mistaken, it's an AWD also.

So... you don't blame the manufacturer when your gun (with the safety selector switched) goes off suddenly while it is holstered up your side?
    Putting the gun in safety switch on means you're not using it.

Vehicle falls from Skyway; 4 injured