New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    One of the points of Deakin's article was preparing for the worst case scenario, what happened was a worst case scenario and the skyway failed on this.

Yes it is a given that we should practice safe driving habbits but freak accidents do happen and we should have a "safety net" to as much as possible minimize casualties. Am not saying that Mr. Kenneth Quintal is not at fault because he is but blamming him solely isn't right.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Driv3er View Post
    again, Quintal was going at 80 kph. He wasn't speeding.
    so i guess from this quote he was traveling at 80 kph, heading straight down the skyway, but because of the water he just span around and hit a trooper which he didnt notice at all coming up into the skyway cause he was goin 80kph. i highly doubt a fortuner doing 80kph will just spin around if it was goin straight, and without the driver turning the steering wheel or braking.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    There are tires that are quite prone to aquaplaning and the bridgestone duelers which are oem tires on troopers and fortuners are one of them. I own a trooper which always tended to aquaplane on the slex during heavy downpours. When i changed to yokohama geolandars the problem virtually disappeared. So when i recently got a 3.0 fortuner and saw the bridgestone duelers on the mags i traded them immediately for michelins. I now have more confidence (and safety) driving in the rain. Bottom line is always drive sensibly but choose tires that will give you a better margin of safety.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing View Post
    One of the points of Deakin's article was preparing for the worst case scenario, what happened was a worst case scenario and the skyway failed on this.

Yes it is a given that we should practice safe driving habbits but freak accidents do happen and we should have a "safety net" to as much as possible minimize casualties. Am not saying that Mr. Kenneth Quintal is not at fault because he is but blamming him solely isn't right.

if you will check the website of C! magazine, the name of Mr. Kenneth Quintal is no where to find now in the editorial staff. the name of James Deakin is there as Executive Editor.
    :grouphugg: :drive1:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Yes, PNCC should be blamed also. They should have built a massive 10 feet thick brick wall railing. That would certainly have stopped any SUV or truck from falling over.
    New crash barriers should be just high enough and deformable (to absorb much of the impact of the vehicle) to prevent it from bouncing back to road (and hitting other vehicles again) or flipping over to the other side.

Aquaplaning is a situation that can be avoided and can be controlled with proper maneuvers. I know because I've aquaplaned a lot of times. Never hit the brakes / turn the wheels or you'll spin.

At the end of the day, if Quintal didn't speed, no accident would have happened - that's the hard fact.
    Question... if you aquaplaned (as you said it can be avoided) then you must've been speeding also right?

As I've said before, the AWD system of the Fortuner might have caused the vehicle to spin when it aquaplaned. This is highly possible and is a special note to all AWD vehicles out there.

Sure nobody wants it to happen but blaming it other than the driver is simply x??>>!*&$*%*%. It's like blaming the Gun manufacturer when you accidentally shot yourself.
    So... you don't blame the manufacturer when your gun (with the safety selector switched) goes off suddenly while it is holstered up your side?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Hey, how tall are the railings on the flyovers on EDSA?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    again, you do not have to be speeding in order to aquaplane.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels
    if you will check the website of C! magazine, the name of Mr. Kenneth Quintal is no where to find now in the editorial staff. the name of James Deakin is there as Executive Editor.
    mmm... Whats the connection?

did he get suspended until further notice?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If I were quintal, I would suspend myself too..to protect the company.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan17 View Post
    There are tires that are quite prone to aquaplaning and the bridgestone duelers which are oem tires on troopers and fortuners are one of them. I own a trooper which always tended to aquaplane on the slex during heavy downpours. When i changed to yokohama geolandars the problem virtually disappeared. So when i recently got a 3.0 fortuner and saw the bridgestone duelers on the mags i traded them immediately for michelins. I now have more confidence (and safety) driving in the rain. Bottom line is always drive sensibly but choose tires that will give you a better margin of safety.
    Where did you have your tires traded it? How much is the trade-in value for the Bridgestones and how much extra did you pay for the balaqnce? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post

Indeed they took out Quintal's pics after last week's incident. They must have noticed a marked increase in internet traffic perusing the profiles of the people behind C!. It also did not help that people here where hotlinking his pics (from the C! website)to this thread.

edit: at least one of the previous posters uploaded the (Quintal's mug)image to imageshack. To those who want to see it. Proceed to page 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Driv3er View Post
    again, you do not have to be speeding in order to aquaplane.
    I can just tell you that a car can and will aquaplane at that. Airline pilots actually use a formula to determine the proper speed before landing on a wet runway. And the same, I’m told, can be applied to cars. It is basic physics. To determine the ideal speed, the formula is nine times the square root of the tire’s PSI in miles per hour. Say your tires are inflated to 32PSI. The square root would be 5.66. Multiply that by nine. You would aquaplane at 50.4mph. Or 80.64 km/h. So drive under that. Obviously there are subtle differences that can affect this formula, especially tread design, tire condition, level of water, type of vehicle etc. But it is a good rule of thumb.

If Quintal followed the formula to compute for the ideal speed (see above quote in bold) then he is indeed close to speeding, which caused him to aquaplane.
    Last edited by number001; October 18th, 2006 at 05:53 PM.

Vehicle falls from Skyway; 4 injured