New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Ang daming nag-aabang. For sure lalakas ang benta ng C! next month.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    me I experienced it also with a strada pickup, slightly lower than the fortuner but higher ground clearance than most vehicles. the thing is medyo bobo itong mediaman na'to to slam on the breaks while hydroplaning at 80kph or below. more than that kahit i-accelerate pa nya yan or i-break, too late na.

he doesnt practice what he preach and it clearly shows na he doesnt know anything he is writing about, if ever may article sya about this.

80kph is not that fast for a diesel pickup or forutner. madali pa i-control yan, since mabigat ang dala-dala mo. the technique push the accelerator when you hit the water para kumapit sa road, kaya pa pigilin ng tubig yan kasi mag-splash sa front mo. but more than 80kph, I dont think so.

kung 80kph using a civic, medyo malabo, baka ikaw pa yun lumipad sa railing.

he's driving fast, there's no doubt. akala siguro niya invincible sya sa ulan kasi malaki sya. happens to the best of us na mataas ang sasakyan. pero only a moron will think that a speed limit is in place for his own good. kaya naglalagay ng speed limit ang gobyerno, to keep everybody safe. kung sya lang ba sana nasaktan eh di okey lang ...

he's just another example of a person na hindi nag-iisip para sa kapwa niya. and to think taga-media pa sya. even if he claims he is at 80kph, that's still irresponsible.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005

Trooper had that impact point smack in the rear section

The impact points on the roof, and up front suggest it hit the jeepney belly up, and it hit the railings head on. No scrappings on it's side...(un"fortunate"ly we don't have a shot on the other side. Nor how it landed etc... before they moved it)

The Fortuner's impact points... rear din, pero sa video feed, may damage din siya sa driver side front fender, reaching his head light.

In terms of placement the Isuzu must have been on the right of the Fortuner, the driver saw the Fortuner spin, he swerved right to avoid it... but too late

The fortuner hit the trooper (who was swerving away to avoid it) in the driver side, or near the back section first , when it might have spun counter clockwise with it's own driver side fender, causing the trooper to hit the railing head on, buckled at the railing (but not over yet), and at the position, the fortuner must have continued with the spin motion, hitting the rear of the trooper again for the 2nd time, this time the rear ends collide....

That would be enough force to first, compromise the railing with the head on and initial impact of the trooper... then a 2nd impact would have tipped it over.

I just don't see how the Fortuner could have gotten those impacts at all if not for it to spin counterclockwise, and hitting the trooper twice.
    well, that's really my guess. he he he

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post

he doesnt practice what he preach and it clearly shows na he doesnt know anything he is writing about, if ever may article sya about this.

he's just another example of a person na hindi nag-iisip para sa kapwa niya. and to think taga-media pa sya. even if he claims he is at 80kph, that's still irresponsible.
    How can you say that he is a hypocrite if you yourself just admitted that you have never seen him write an article about this?

Do we know the exact condition of the road during the time of the accident? Malakas ba ulan? Drizzle lang? Or kakatapos lang ulan? There are so many factors that we DO NOT KNOW about, it will be impossible to determine GUILT.

Guilty or not though, the man has already accepted full responsibility. Let us at least give him credit for that.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore View Post
    my take on this....

yes, the fortuner could have hydroplaned because of slippery roads. it is not the fault of the manufacturer or the tires. the driver of the fortuner should have observed caution in driving because of heavy rains and slippery roads. that's it....
    Agree on this. The Fortuner may not have the reflexes of the Lotus Elise or the handling of a Miata but it does not mean there is a serious safety flaw with it. As long as you drive it within its intended [and low] limits, you'll stay safe.

Unless the flaw lay within that one particular unit.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the thing is medyo bobo itong mediaman na'to to slam on the breaks while hydroplaning at 80kph or below. more than that kahit i-accelerate pa nya yan or i-break, too late na.
    From where did you get the info that he slammed his brakes while his vehicle was experiencing hydroplaning?

AFAIK most were only giving realistic scenarios / causes why the Fortuner spun. Blantantly accusing another person of being "bobo" is another thing based on a few assumptions.

he's driving fast, there's no doubt.
    Are you 100% sure about that?

I can think of other more causes that can induce a spin:
    - the Fortuner hits a patch of fluid (might be motor oil, ATF, veggie oil etc.) from another vehicle
    - the driver is not aware that his vehicle is hydroplaning already (very likely if you are travelling in a straight line) and hits his brake to slowdown before a puddle
    - the AWD system of the Fortuner malfunctioned after some of the tires lost traction

even if he claims he is at 80kph, that's still irresponsible.
    Didn't you just say:

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    80kph is not that fast for a diesel pickup or forutner. madali pa i-control yan, since mabigat ang dala-dala mo

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I've been reading these post here for a while and it really gets me interested to make a post myself. I have always been in the sideline just reading various post here.

I drive a 2001 trooper and I have driven my SUV a couple of times to Baguio. All these years, I have experienced my car hydroplaning a couple of times, both intentionally and unintentionally. I do agree that it is possible to hydroplane even while doing under 80kph. Along Macapagal hiway where I pass by everyday, there's a low portion at the right side of the road (going southbound) about 50-100 meters before the end of the hiway. It oftens flood in this portion more than 6 inches and if you cross it at, say 60 kph, you'll hydroplane. Trick is NOT to do anything abrupt such as braking or turning and ease the accelerator until you regain traction.

I do admit that I'm a speeder and I'm not proud of it. My mentality is: if the speedometer says 200kph, the car is certainly made to run that fast or at least 80-90% of that. I have driven my trooper at over 170kph, an ordinary revo at over 160kph, an FX van at 150kph and even a kia pride at 130kph. And what have I attained ? ... NOTHING! . Nevertheless I am a work in progress and I am "trying hard" to learn to drive more sanely and control my bad temper. I try to remember I have a family and if you drives fast, accidents do happens and its much much more serious at high speed. Remember, there are many factors out there that can cause an accident.

Now back to the topic, here's my personal take on this one. I believed that the Fortuner was running well over 100 kph. This is only my opinion based on my driving experience. Here's the possible ingredients:

- a fast diesel SUV, the Fortuner can give you a false sense of invincibility and the crdi engine can propel the car to 180kph.
    - a car magazine editor, they often test vehicle to their limits
    - a paid elevated highway, we all feel shortchanged doing 100kph at the skyway. And when it is raining hard, we know that the hiway policemen are not around to catch speeder with their radar gun.

Honestly, if I were in his shoes (driver of fortuner), I MIGHT have driven at well over 120 kph in that rain. Nothing would have happened if there was no “flooded” portion in that skyway. The flooded portion which started a chain of event (hydroplane, loose control, spinning etc..) was the unexpected factor here.

The lesson here is (lesson and reminder for me too) is to avoid speeding as there are many unexpected factors on the road. Slow down when it rain, there are lots of potholes and water on the road that can upset the balance of the car. Drive defensively. The trooper driver MIGHT have been at fault too for not driving defensively. If he foresee that the Fortuner was face-to-face with a flooded portion, he should have slowed down or speed up, depending on where he is, to avoid the Fortuner. After all, he himself might have been running over the speed limit.

I hope that this will be a lesson to all of us. Costly as it is (a life was lost here), hope he didn't die in vain.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    based on the simulated video shown on tvpatrol, the trooper was in front of the fortuner, i think hindi ata napansin agad ng trooper yung fort.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTOOlow View Post
    Along Macapagal hiway where I pass by everyday, there's a low portion at the right side of the road (going southbound) about 50-100 meters before the end of the hiway. It oftens flood in this portion more than 6 inches and if you cross it at, say 60 kph, you'll hydroplane.
    OT: i know this portion, and i've seen a canter that went 360 degrees here in heavy rain. good thing i was around 500 meters away, at the back of the canter when it happened.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore View Post
    OT: i know this portion, and i've seen a canter that went 360 degrees here in heavy rain. good thing i was around 500 meters away, at the back of the canter when it happened.
    I live near that area. Yeah its a frequent occurence. I've seen several cars do 180degree here. it seems the local government don't plan to do anything about it, including the lack of street lighting in this portion. Motoring are often given the surprise of their life when they come face-to-face with this flooded portion in macapagal.

Vehicle falls from Skyway; 4 injured