New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wala bang surveillance o mga traffic monitoring camera sa Skyway?

Also, I have experienced aquaplaning while driving a Sedona at 80 kph, so I agree that you don't have to be going over 100 kph for aquaplaning to occur. I was on McArthur Highway at that time, approaching the (at that time) steel bridge connecting Paniqui and Moncada. It was raining, but not pouring, and I gently stepped on the brakes to slow down, but instead of slowing down, I felt like the van was gliding on top of the road. Buti na lang na-control ko at hindi nag-spin yung sasakyan.

Moreover, if were speculating on how much force is needed to break through the Skyway barrier, we must remember that the Trooper was also in motion at that time so the impact of the Fortuner on the Trooper only added to the already significant force of the Trooper. The way to know for certain what happened is through on-scene investigation of the crash site and by interviewing eyewitnesses.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    TL- True Love?

ehhhh. eheheheh. ehehehheheheheh. hehehehhe. no comment. let's just say na i enjoy her company. :D

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    HP: sumasakit na ulo ko sa kakaisip sa scientific approach. hehehe. last time i posted anything scientifically correct, inaantok ako nun. :lol:

i'd definitely like to hear what the trooper driver would say as well.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Newton's first law of motion states that "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Objects "tend to keep on doing what they're doing." In fact, it is the natural tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion. This tendency to resist changes in their state of motion is described as inertia.
    With the way the trooper fell, its speed has little or no effect on breaking the barrier. You could say that the Trooper, with its weight and speed has a good amount of inertia (forward force) which was later overpowered by the force of the Fort that crashed to its side.

It's moving forward at a constant speed. Driver didn't have enough time to even apply brakes when it was pushed over.

And yes, in the event of Hydroplaning, you'll have higher chances of control at low speeds.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    and let's not forget na inelastic yung collision ng fortuner and trooper, so not all the energy that the fortuner gave to the trooper was transferred to launching the trooper.

then again, low coefficient of friction sa road so it could have helped in increasing the likelihood of such an event happening.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i'd definitely like to hear what the trooper driver would say as well.
    Sabi nya sa interview, nagulat na lang daw sya may umiikot na sasakyan sa gilid nya. hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    basta, at speed beyond 80kph, wala ka na control sa sasakyan, dami na factors to consider.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    since maraming mahilig mag speculate dito, let me have a go at it. It was also possible that the fort was only going at around 70-80 kph, spun, then hit the trooper which was passing it at around 90-100 kph...the speed of both cars will look the same to witnesses because of factors such as visibility impairment and parallax.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Gee... if i spent half the effort analyzing my schoolwork before the way you guys are analysing this nag cum laude siguro ako... :D j/k

Here's what i heard (of course i dunno how true):

There was a flooded portion and the Fortuner did not have enough space to brake so when he went through it, it hydroplaned and spun. The driver of the Fortuner felt something hit the back but he did not know what and when he stopped he didnt see any damaged car around him but he saw the other cars stop and people were looking over the railing... and, the railing/side did not give way they said so that means the Trup went over it. If that's the case then it is a bit freaky.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    First of all, for those who say they cannot believe a vehicle would hydroplane at 80 km/h, let me ask you... have you ever experienced hydroplaning?

Have you ever driven the Fortuner in the rain on the Skyway?

Take note, that there's a good point up there, that the Fortuner did not completely transfer its momentum to the Trooper, and that the Trooper's own speed carried it through the barrier.

A push sideways from a spinning car would only deflect its angle... for the spin to be powerful enough to push the Trooper completely sideways, the impact would have to be powerful enough to roll the Fortuner...

Ahem... have any of you been in a 160 km/h collision or accident? Or in any kind of highway accident? And have any of you hydroplaned? Even on mere 215-225 series tires, hydroplaning is possible at 80 km/h. Now imagine what it'd be like n the 265 series tires on the Fort? Most of you have never hydroplaned because most passenger cars and vans have skinny 165-195 series tires, which resist hydroplaning very well.

At 160 km/h, the closing speed of the Fort on the Trooper would be over 60 km/h, at collisions like that, the Fort would have been totalled. Like I said, we need to see pictures of the Fort, as well as expert reconstruction to actually tell.

At a 60 km/h closing speed, the sheet metal would have been ripped off the frame. As it was, the bump on the back end of the Fortuner suggests a 10-20 km/h discrepancy with the Trooper, of course, that's no good sign of actual road speed, because that's 10-20 km/h sideways sa the vehicle snapped around.

We're talking two vehicles here, weight two tons each, transferring momentum to a concrete post that's only six inches wide and about five years old or more.

A bus going just 60 km/h or so punched through multiple posts of the same kind of barrier on EDSA on the Mandaluyong bridge, sideways... A Trooper can do the same thing at the same speed, especially considering the smaller frontal area would have less barrier to go through.

And the fact that the Trooper passengers survived the fall suggests that the horizontal momentum wasn't that great after the barrier collision.

I've always held the opinion that those barriers were useless (from the bus accident), and this just proves it.

If the Fortuner had spun at 160 km/h, then let's just say we'd be mourning a certain Mr. Quintal instead of lambasting him.

Again, the two vehicles could have been going anywhere from 60 km/h to 100 km/h, but we'd never know unless we were there.

So hold your judgement until you know all the facts. Mr. Quintal already said he'll cover anything, which is what any of us would do, whether guilty or not. Heck, my brother hit a kid before in a parking lot, biglang tumawid sa harap niya, he was going 20 km/h, and she fractured a femur falling off the car, no injuries from the hit, and even though both he and the parents agreed it was the kid's fault, we still paid for hospital and therapy costs.

It's the only decent thing to do. Traumatic nga ang nakakamatay, whether or not you could have avoided it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Vehicle falls from Skyway; 4 injured